Thread: US College hockey free agents

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default US College hockey free agents

Who would be the top US college hockey free agents available for NHL teams to sign in 2018?
    Is Daniel Brickley the big fish on the market?
    10 team Dynasty league, pts only, roster size is 31

C-Crosby,Backstrom,E.Staal,Lecavier,Wilson,Ennis
    LW-Nash,Sharp,Boedker,Marleau,Lucic,Skinner
    RW-Kane,Voracek,Kessel,Ryder,Okposso
    D-Karlsson,Carlsson,Shattenkirk,Boyle,Markov,Zidlick y,Nurse,Ellis,Streit
    G-Lundqvist,Rinne,Bryzgalov,Fucale

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: US College hockey free agents

I can't say I know anything about the college free agents, but elliotte friedman touched on 3, all from the same team, in his most recent "31 thoughts", so take a look there.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jimmy Schuldt (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...jimmy-schuldt/) is one I've been keeping an eye on. He may return to school next year but there are rumours the Canadiens have been schmoozing him recently. Dylan Sikura could become a free-agent this summer but is expected to sign with Chicago this spring so he can burn a year off their ELC.

Also, from the mentioned 31 thoughts (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...tawa-senators/)

16. NCAA Princeton Tigers has three free agent players teams are scouting. The one with the highest ceiling is Ottawa?s Maximilian Veronneau, a forward who has 19 points in 14 games this season. There?s another forward, Eric Robinson, and a defenceman, Calgary?s Josh Teves. The Tigers recently sent a note asking NHL clubs to limit their interactions with these players to certain games, times and practices.
    Guess it was getting out of hand.
    Last edited by Dennis; January 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I mentioned a few potential free agents in my NCAA Hockey Mid-Season Scoring Analysis article at DobberProspects: http://www.dobberprospects.com/ncaa-...ring-analysis/

I don't have any additional information about them but the names mentioned there interest me because of their scoring numbers which is all that matters in fantasy hockey. They could be a complete waste of time but I'd rather gamble with players who can score some points.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'd rather gamble with players who can score some points.
    Absolutely. Who cares if a player can make it in the NHL if he won't produce? I'd rather fail gambling on players who have the skill set (for whatever league I'm in) to produce if they manage to get in the door.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

College Hockey News released a nice article last week (Second Thoughts: A Look at the Hobey Hopefuls) taking a group of 18 potential Hobey Baker finalists and narrowing it down to 10. In relevance to this thread, 4 of the 10 went undrafted (though several, Cale Morris for example, are expected to return to school next year) and 2 are in their fourth year of education, meaning their NHL team's rights expire if not signed by mid-August.

The top 10 were

1) Dylan Sikura (W) Northeasten U - Blackhawks*
    2) Cale Morris (G) Notre Dame - Undrafted
    3) Adam Gaudette (C) Northeasten U - Canucks
    4) Henrik Borgstrom (C) University of Denver - Panthers
    5) Louis Belpedio (D) Miami U -Wild*
    6) Colton Point (G) Colgate U - Stars
    7) Jimmy Schuldt (D) St. Cloud U - Undrafted
    8) Tanner Laczynski (C) Ohio State - Flyers
    9) Daniel Brickley (D) Minnesota State U - Undrafted
    10) Dylan McLaughlin (C) Canisius College - Undrafted

*Currently in 4th year of school

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm going to post a few of my own tweets here because they're relevant to this thread.

I've been taking a closer look at some college free agents, and I'm loving what I'm seeing from 20-year-old RW Nick Halloran and 22-year-old C Mason Bergh. They're creating some magic on a bad Colorado College team.
    Another player I loved was undrafted 19-year-old C Hugh McGing. He definitely needs to be drafted this summer regardless of his size. He has some Brad Marchand in him.

His 22-year-old Western Michigan teammate, LW Dawson DiPietro should also draw some NHL interest.
    It's also pretty insane that undrafted 19-year-old defenseman Scott Perunovich is leading his team in scoring, and that team includes Riley Tufte and Joey Anderson among others. I need to watch him next.
    I didn't like Perunovich's defensive game at the World Juniors but it looks a bit better in college hockey. And at least the commentators were talking about how much it's improved since the start of this season, so that's good.
    Another small, undrafted 19-year-old who has caught my eye is Zach Solow from Northeastern (Hockey East). Might be worth a flyer late in the #2018NHLDraft. Should play a big role next season with Sikura, Gaudette and Stevens all turning pro.
    So there are some names I've watched so far. Halloran is the most interesting one for fantasy hockey purposes as he's pure offense whereas Bergh is more well-rounded. DiPietro also seems to be pure offense but I didn't like him as much.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The 10 finalists for this year's Hobey Baker award have been released. 4 undrafted players with Sikura and Suess becoming free agents if not signed by August 15. There's some more info in today's Prospect Ramblings.

Henrik Borgstrom, F, Denver (FLA)
    Ryan Donato, F, Harvard (BOS)
    Matthew Galajda, G, Cornell (FA)
    Adam Gaudette, F, Northeastern (VAN)
    Dylan McLaughlin, F, Canisius (FA)
    Cale Morris, G, Notre Dame (FA)
    Colton Point, G, Colgate (DAL)
    Jimmy Schuldt, D, St. Cloud State (FA)
    Dylan Sikura, F, Northeastern (CHI)
    C.J. Suess, F, Minnesota State (WPG)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Gaudette will win the Hobey Baker for sure.