Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Contentious Trade-Savvy or Ridonkulous?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Contentious Trade-Savvy or Ridonkulous?

My only problem is outside of rookies you can keep for free most of those picks will be drops again at the end of the year. So it better make you win next year or all you did was hurt your keepers
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Emu man, show us what the first round of your draft looked like this year - who was taken?

Also, regarding this strategy.. I don't think it's that good.

Whoever is getting a your best non-keeper player from you is also then dropping someone they would have kept otherwise, which is typically a small downgrade or even just a lateral change in player quality. The first round of your draft in a partial keeper is going to be loaded with quality players that other people didn't have space to keep regardless. I would take the picks every time to get value from the fact that I drafted/acquired some strong players over the course of the year that have trade value now before next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    a strategy to consider after your draft frenzie season - is to not trade the players you're dropping. by doing that you saturate the re-draft pool and help limit the strength of other teams. albeit to a small detriment to yourself, but why spread the wealth more than necessary? increases your odds of redrafting a good player

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Triplea14 View Post
    My only problem is outside of rookies you can keep for free most of those picks will be drops again at the end of the year. So it better make you win next year or all you did was hurt your keepers
    This exactly. It's a big one-year advantage but hurts the keeper situation going forward.

The other owner could also quit the league after this season since he has no picks to compete next year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    This exactly. It's a big one-year advantage but hurts the keeper situation going forward.

The other owner could also quit the league after this season since he has no picks to compete next year.
    There's a great rule to help avoid this that my league adopted. If you quit, for any future year where you've given away draft picks, you still pay the entry fee for that team that year.

Dobber Sports Sage

Bold move. So long as you do your research you ought to be next to impossible to beat next season. The depth in a league like yours will be tough to compete against.

You won't be able to fully judge this trade until after next season. In a limited keeper id only want to trade stammer if it basically guaranteed me a win which I think you have to be the favorite for next season, but you never know how it plays out.

If you win next year it will have been worth the keeper downgrade. If you don't win id call it a loss. Either way it will have been a fun experience and you're draft is going to be alot of fun. Good luck with it.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    There's a great rule to help avoid this that my league adopted. If you quit, for any future year where you've given away draft picks, you still pay the entry fee for that team that year.
    I hope you collect entry fees ahead of time because trying to collect them after someone has quit is next to impossible unless you happen to know the guy personally. But yes, that's a good rule for cases like this.

Dobber Sports Stud

As others have mentioned, it's a good move to give yourself a chance next year but I'd imagine you're not the only team that will be stockpiling draft picks.

So next year you'll be in the running but will likely have to trade picks to strengthen your team which means the following year you bottom out and you're not as likely to have the type of assets you'll be able to trade for high draft picks unless you give up your keepers.

I basically see this as throwing away the next 2 seasons at a minimum for an increased shot at winning next year. If you win, maybe it was worth it (really that's for you to know), but I have to think next year is far from a slam dunk, guaranteed win.

Very risky IMO but hey, I'd rather have a 1st and two lasts than a bunch of 4th and 5th place finishes at the end of the day so good luck to you!
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Jedi

you should have enough players that some will grow into 6-keeper for someone and be able to pull off 2-1's to improve your keepers. this is also a great prospect draft to have multiple picks in.. I mean Merkley ranked at #23 by ISS. It's deep.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Superstar

In a league as deep as this, depth is a significant advantage. I think you've got a great shot at winning next year as long as you do your research and draft well.

Stamkos is killing it now and nothing indicates his pace is unsustainable, but we also need to remember that he's had 65 and 75 point seasons recently and has shown to be susceptible to some big injuries as well. While today he looks like a significant keeper loss, it may not look so bad in the future, and your keepers aren't terrible after this trade.

Depending how the season goes next year, you should be in a great position to improve on some of your keepers by trading quantity for quality as well, so there's that part to consider too.

You've made a bold move and it could work out beautifully if you are able to execute effectively moving forward. Godspeed young Emu.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think this deal sets you up nicely for next year - especially since you are out of it for this year - and gives you options whether to move the players you are dropping. It would be really interesting to follow your draft next year to see what you end up getting for Stammer.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    I like this rule!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    As others have mentioned, it's a good move to give yourself a chance next year but I'd imagine you're not the only team that will be stockpiling draft picks.

So next year you'll be in the running but will likely have to trade picks to strengthen your team which means the following year you bottom out and you're not as likely to have the type of assets you'll be able to trade for high draft picks unless you give up your keepers.

I basically see this as throwing away the next 2 seasons at a minimum for an increased shot at winning next year. If you win, maybe it was worth it (really that's for you to know), but I have to think next year is far from a slam dunk, guaranteed win.

Very risky IMO but hey, I'd rather have a 1st and two lasts than a bunch of 4th and 5th place finishes at the end of the day so good luck to you!
    Yea I dont totally agree with this. I have very little doubt Ill be able to cull enough talent out of those picks to compile a very strong keep six without sacrificing picks from the following year. Its a one year reset imho. I chuck this year- which sucks but I think its for a fun/worthwhile gamble. Then I have a real edge next year imho. By year 3 Im not in the plus or minus- in fact were talking about slowly growing the amount of keepers so crazy trades like this will likely have less appeal.

But yea to the original point- Im really quite confident Ill have a fine top six by the end of next years draft...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    you should have enough players that some will grow into 6-keeper for someone and be able to pull off 2-1's to improve your keepers. this is also a great prospect draft to have multiple picks in.. I mean Merkley ranked at #23 by ISS. It's deep.
    ^^^

Yea basically saying this- haha!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    I think this deal sets you up nicely for next year - especially since you are out of it for this year - and gives you options whether to move the players you are dropping. It would be really interesting to follow your draft next year to see what you end up getting for Stammer.
    Yea Ill try to remember to post it. That will definitely be the true test...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post

I hear ya- but in theory I could be nabbing the Tolvanen, pettersens and top draft choices from next year so replacing one elite keeper should be doable. I mean its never a "given" when youre talking about talent of that level- but I think I have a pretty good chance of finding a reasonable facsimile (imho anyways).

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I hear ya- but in theory I could be nabbing the Tolvanen, pettersens and top draft choices from next year so replacing one elite keeper should be doable. I mean its never a "given" when youre talking about talent of that level- but I think I have a pretty good chance of finding a reasonable facsimile (imho anyways).
    I don't know if you're underestimating Stamkos or overestimating prospects but definitely one of those things is true. You're not going to find anyone close to Stamkos level without 1st overall draft pick, and even then you're probably waiting a few years before that player gets to that level - if he does. Very few prospects can actually reach Stamkos' level.