View Poll Results: Who will win the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

Voters
16. This poll is closed
  • Brazil

0 0%
  • Germany

1 6.25%
  • France

1 6.25%
  • Spain

1 6.25%
  • Argentina

0 0%
  • Belgium

3 18.75%
  • Portugal

6 37.50%
  • Uruguay

0 0%
  • Croatia

1 6.25%
  • England

1 6.25%
  • Colombia

0 0%
  • Poland

0 0%
  • Sweden

1 6.25%
  • Denmark

0 0%
  • Switzerland

0 0%
  • Mexico

0 0%
  • Nigeria

0 0%
  • Peru

0 0%
  • Morocco

0 0%
  • Iceland

1 6.25%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 2018 FIFA World Cup

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup

12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

The first part of the World Cup that I watched was that Game against Mexico... and it had me almost turning the TV off and giving up on soccer again. Its embarassing wow.

But I am glad I turned on and saw the classy Japan team play and that amazing Belgium comeback. Every sport has a bad apple or two... but Neymar is really bad for the game for trying to get lifelong hockey fans to watch the sport.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    The thing that must be understood in his vilification is that soccer hardcores differentiate diving from play acting, the former of which is the main reason his reputation is taking a beating. Because of the size of the field of play, and the amount of players under the governance of one official during game play, the referee has a huge responsibility obviously. Soccer players are in fact trained to go dive, or go down if a legit foul is made on them, possession was lost, and the referee may be a bit farther away from the play, assuming he may not have had a clear, unobstructed view. This, in the best case scenario in terms of sportsmanship is only to reaffirm what the referee may be unsure of, the key being that a legit foul was made, leading to a loss of possession.

That stuff is just so ingrained in pure soccer fans, but non soccer fans have a hard time with it. In these cases, the referee blows for a foul committed, the player is already on his feet and play resumes. It?s the play acting, the feigning injury long after the foul has been given, the diving when no contact was made etc is why his reputation is taking a beating.

Also, non soccer fans seem to think that soccer is less physically taxing than other contact sports, and that?s an argument for another day maybe, but in my younger day I played plenty of competitive hockey and soccer, and I was definitely more beaten up after a soccer game than a hockey game, generally.

So, he does take a beating. He?s a star player and all star players are targeted. He does take a fair amount of punishment, he?s just not mentally or physically strong enough to deal with it.
    It surprises me that there is only one referee on the field. I guess they have their reasons? Maybe they can't afford a 2nd ref? The NHL squeezed in a 2nd referee into their small ice surface, which I think was unnecessary but on a field that is over 3 times the size of an ice rink, they have 1. Like I said, there must be a legitimate reason.

Dobber Sports Deity

I've always said, if they want people to take soccer seriously, they need to instill a rule that states if play has to stop due to a player being "injured" then that player should be forced to leave the playing field and get medical attention. He cannot return until the next stoppage in play. Or something to that effect. That should slow down the diving. I do agree that soccer is a physical game but it's just painful to watch grown men, rolling and crying like a 10 year old.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I've always said, if they want people to take soccer seriously, they need to instill a rule that states if play has to stop due to a player being "injured" then that player should be forced to leave the playing field and get medical attention. He cannot return until the next stoppage in play. Or something to that effect. That should slow down the diving. I do agree that soccer is a physical game but it's just painful to watch grown men, rolling and crying like a 10 year old.
    That is a great idea.... and they should call it the Killdeer rule!!

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Quarter-Finals are set. I went 7/8 in my Round of 16 predictions but who honestly had Russia eliminating Spain? As for my full bracket predictions, the one I wrestled with the most was England-Sweden quarter-final matchup. I went with England but I'm still pretty undecided. I'm not able to make the change in my pool so I guess I'll stick to England on here as well. I currently sit in 6th place out of 160, top 5 are in the money.
    And just like that, I'm out. Uruguay and Brazil both screwed me yesterday. Now my rooting interest can at least switch from being money driven to cheering for the ultimate underdog.... SWEDEN!!! Today is likely to be their last match but you have to cheer for the hockey nation here. Unfortunately, we will see another all European World Cup Final again. Still, what a fantastic overall tournament. Expect some more exciting games today folks!
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports All-Star

Even though Croatia looked like the better team, France managed to win 4-2. The turning point came with the game tied 1-1 and France was awarded a penalty kick due to a hand ball which is a rule I don't like. You could be just standing there and if the ball hits your arm while in the box, its a penalty kick.

Anyways, I actually enjoyed the tournament. I also enjoyed watching Putin getting drenched by the rain while handing out the medals. With the time between the end of the game and the medal presentation, They could have built some kind of cover.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Huh, France over Croatia...just like I predicted...about an hour ago. Hopefully, Canada makes a good showing at the next World Cup.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Hopefully, Canada makes a good showing at the next World Cup.
    Canada won't be at the next World Cup.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    No but i'll bet anyone that they will make it in 2026.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I keep saying this as well.. but its two away... dang nabbit!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I keep saying this as well.. but its two away... dang nabbit!
    Oh crap, I thought it was the next one! I can still cheer for small miracles for Canada to qualify for the 2022 WC.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket