Thread: [Re-signing] Atkinson in Columbus

Dobber Sports Guru

Default [Re-signing] Atkinson in Columbus

Signed to a seven-year, $41 million deal.

The Athletic broke the story, I think.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: [Re-signing] Atkinson in Columbus

Probably a bit rich and a year or two too long (he'll be 35 at the end of this deal) but seeing as he could have gone out as a UFA this upcoming off-season and got something similar (or more??), I guess it makes sense. Next to Panarin, he's their best scoring winger, even though he's off to a slow start this season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

While this deal does secure him a top spot, I still think he's Brandon Saad, and no more. Lots of shots but doesn't find a way to factor into scoring enough. Look for seasons of 50-55 points, and maybe - just maybe - he hits 60+ once more before the deal is done. Overall not a great value.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Master

It seems expensive for a 55+ pt player.. but it buys UFA years and I have lost some relativity with contract figures in the NHL. Deals seem richer and richer for players that are not true superstars.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ninja

Overpaid and far too long.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm not sure I understand how this contract is making him overpaid. He only needs to score 59 points per season to be over that magical "10 points for $1M" threshold. On average, I think he'll be at least very close to that number. It's no bargain but as far as UFA contracts go, this isn't all that bad. I mean, Oshie has a similar contract but that's until he's 39, so this one looks pretty great compared to that.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how this contract is making him overpaid. He only needs to score 59 points per season to be over that magical "10 points for $1M" threshold. On average, I think he'll be at least very close to that number. It's no bargain but as far as UFA contracts go, this isn't all that bad. I mean, Oshie has a similar contract but that's until he's 39, so this one looks pretty great compared to that.
    I don't think he is a 59-pt player and I don't think he is going to get any better.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    that magical "10 points for $1M" threshold.
    I've never heard of this before.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I don't think he is a 59-pt player and I don't think he is going to get any better.
    Well, if he's just a 55 point player, I'd say that's close enough to call it even value.

Dobber Sports Genius

It's not going to cripple the team or anything, and he's not a bad player by any means, but no doubt it's an overpayment.

Dobber Sports Wizard

CapFriendly‏ @CapFriendly
    Cam Atkinson #CBJ 7 years x $5.75M Most Comparable Contracts:

Andrew Ladd NYI 7 x $5.5M
    Milan Lucic EDM 7 x $6M
    Kyle Okposo BUF 7 x $6M
    T.J. Oshie WSH 8 x $5.75M
    Kyle Turris NSH 6 x $6M
    How many of these players you guys would take over Atkinson with their current contracts? I can see myself taking Turris over him because centers are more valuable but that's it. This is just what UFA contracts look like these days. They could have decreased AAV a little bit by giving him that 8th year but good for them for not doing that - those things always hurt you in the end.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

how is he overpaid? how much do you think a 30 goal scorer is going to get on the open market?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Good point there, that is the asking $$ today.

Notice how none of those players are on Line 1? All currently line 2 or 3 players, except maybe Oshie......

The Great One

If we're starting to justify contracts like this by saying they're fair because that's the going rate, then I think we should all set our watches for another full or partial lost season the next time the CBA is up for negotiation.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    If we're starting to justify contracts like this by saying they're fair because that's the going rate, then I think we should all set our watches for another full or partial lost season the next time the CBA is up for negotiation.
    You mean you haven't done that already? Most players have, just look at how their contracts are structured. Their base salary for that season is usually very low because that's the part they can lose if there's a lockout. Or, when there's a lockout. It's been an ongoing trend for a while now.

EDIT: Here's just one example: Jack Eichel. $2.5M base salary in 2020-2021 and 2022-2023 with $7.5M in signing bonuses those seasons. Players can't lose their signing bonus because of a lockout but they can lose their base salary.

EDIT 2: And here's why:
    This CBA is a 10-year agreement, but both can choose to opt out after 8 years.