Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated 2018 NHL draft rankings

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Consolidated 2018 NHL draft rankings

Will Scouch @Scouching
    Some new rankings have come out recently, including @CraigJButton and @CrazyJoeDavola3 which I've added to the pile. Big asterisk for small sample on Lundkvist, but the tiers remain.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I feel Kravstov might be better than Denisenko, anyone have any further evaluations? I'll have a lotto pick, best odds at 1, pick 9/13/19/25/29 for my sixteen league in signature and I'm trying to see who I want to target at what picks.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

Will Scouch has updated his average rankings to include the new ISS rankings which were released today.

Will Scouch @Scouching
    With the new @ISShockey rankings, here's how some public rankings breakdown across multiple sources with StDevs.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^These are great... clear "tiering" and "confidence" all in one!!!
    Thanks.

Damn #8 overall pick... I hate you.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    I feel Kravstov might be better than Denisenko, anyone have any further evaluations? I'll have a lotto pick, best odds at 1, pick 9/13/19/25/29 for my sixteen league in signature and I'm trying to see who I want to target at what picks.
    I haven't seen Denisenko but I think Kravtsov is the safer option because he's further along in his development (he's also older than Denisenko). I've been watching the KHL Conference Finals where Kravtsov is playing, and I've liked his defensive awareness and effort. Most of the time, Russian prospects are considered lazy defensively but Kravtsov doesn't seem to be like that. But obviously offense is his main strength, and he showed a lot of that earlier in the KHL Playoffs - he's slowed down since then, though.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Another update from Will Scouch @Scouching

Updated the ranking tracker with @DraftGeekHockey and @mckeenshockey Top 31s. Here's how it breaks down. Added an extra player to compensate for Lundkvist's low sample size on here.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Just finished reading Pronman's mailbag on theathletic - which was great.
    (ps. Peng Wynn, that be me. First comment in that article!)

Pronman's outliers seem to be Tkachuk, Bokk, and Merkley (as many have).
    In a mid-season article, CP had Tkachuk at 15... but he took many questions asking about comparisons btw. Wahlstrom/Tkachuk.
    In responding to Bokk, he said "He’s somewhere in my top 14 right now. Will sort those guys out over the next month or so."
    Pronman suggested he places Merkley "at the back end of his top tier"... when somebody asked.

It all makes me wonder if there's a mid-round talent drop-off, around #14, in Pronman's eyes, that is.

The chart above has 16 falling in nice procession to Hayton, with the randomness of Merkley positioning showing up at #17.

I've got a top 4 (lottery to determine, but I have best odds), then 8, then 13 pick in my other dynasty... so I'm trying to line-up value of picks in advance.
    Thinking of trying to deal my #8 for a future 1st (top 12 pick) in 2018... because I feel like there's a drop in fantasy talent after the top 7 (assuming they are those same 7 in chart above).

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

In a mid-season article, CP had Tkachuk at 15... but he took many questions asking about comparisons btw. Wahlstrom/Tkachuk.
    In responding to Bokk, he said "He’s somewhere in my top 14 right now. Will sort those guys out over the next month or so."
    Pronman suggested he places Merkley "at the back end of his top tier"... when somebody asked.

It all makes me wonder if there's a mid-round talent drop-off, around #14, in Pronman's eyes, that is.

The chart above has 16 falling in nice procession to Hayton, with the randomness of Merkley positioning showing up at #17.

I've got a top 4 (lottery to determine, but I have best odds), then 8, then 13 pick in my other dynasty... so I'm trying to line-up value of picks in advance.
    Thinking of trying to deal my #8 for a future 1st (top 12 pick) in 2018... because I feel like there's a drop in fantasy talent after the top 7 (assuming they are those same 7 in chart above).
    I agree with a drop-off at around #14, although my list has a couple of guys who aren't on Pronman's list. Based on what I've read, at least Farabee is missing from Pronman's top 14 (he said late 1st / early 2nd somewhere). Kupari and/or Wilde might be missing from his top 14 as well, not sure.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

I used to read Pronman on ESPN Insider, I'm not a fan anymore. He sticks his neck out on prospects, but I wonder if it's in the name of clickbait. I much prefer Dobber and his band of merry men like JP.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    W Svs GAA Sv%

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

I used to read Pronman on ESPN Insider, I'm not a fan anymore. He sticks his neck out on prospects, but I wonder if it's in the name of clickbait. I much prefer Dobber and his band of merry men like JP.
    The same thing is often said about Craig Button but I doubt they really need to be clickbaiting anyone. I think it's just that those two have been doing their thing for a long time, so they're not afraid to go off the board when they feel like it.

Let's take Tkachuk for example - Button has him at #2 and Pronman had him at #15 (although he's said he's moved Tkachuk up to around #10). It's very easy to put Tkachuk somewhere in that range but it takes a lot of courage to put him outside that range. Guys like Button and Pronman are the ones setting the ranges that others follow. Most guys play it safe to avoid mistakes but those two trust themselves enough to go with their gut.

I have a lot of respect for guys like Button and Pronman. I would never trust one scout religiously but I appreciate what they're doing and we can all learn a lot from them. Read what they have to say and make your own decisions based on all the information you can gather from multiple sources (your own eyes being one of them if possible).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The same thing is often said about Craig Button but I doubt they really need to be clickbaiting anyone. I think it's just that those two have been doing their thing for a long time, so they're not afraid to go off the board when they feel like it.

Let's take Tkachuk for example - Button has him at #2 and Pronman had him at #15 (although he's said he's moved Tkachuk up to around #10). It's very easy to put Tkachuk somewhere in that range but it takes a lot of courage to put him outside that range. Guys like Button and Pronman are the ones setting the ranges that others follow. Most guys play it safe to avoid mistakes but those two trust themselves enough to go with their gut.

I have a lot of respect for guys like Button and Pronman. I would never trust one scout religiously but I appreciate what they're doing and we can all learn a lot from them. Read what they have to say and make your own decisions based on all the information you can gather from multiple sources (your own eyes being one of them if possible).

Youre giving Pronman too much credit . He consistently has awful rankings and biases. He doesn?t care because there are no consequences if he is wrong. All rankings are subjective but he constantly has obvious mistakes and predictable ones at that. He?s a click bait blogger. That?s it. There?s no courage involved here. If anybody cared they would have already banned him from prospect writing for his terrible Rocco Grimaldi top 10 ranking in 2011. Real NHL scouts and scouting services such as FC are way better

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post

I would say I take in any and all information I can. Over the three years I have been involved in fantasy hockey I’ve crossed pronman off my list of pundits. I enjoy McKenzie the most as far as mass following, I read what button writes and always take time to look at the risers and fallers of ISS through the years. On here I appreciate your coverage, I now have kravstov up my board for my leagues, and I appreciate what Cam does as well. Like you’ve said trust your own eyes, that’s what I’ve learned and that’s what I do now.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    W Svs GAA Sv%

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

Dobber Sports Deity

I would say I take in any and all information I can. Over the three years I have been involved in fantasy hockey I?ve crossed pronman off my list of pundits. I enjoy McKenzie the most as far as mass following, I read what button writes and always take time to look at the risers and fallers of ISS through the years. On here I appreciate your coverage, I now have kravstov up my board for my leagues, and I appreciate what Cam does as well. Like you?ve said trust your own eyes, that?s what I?ve learned and that?s what I do now.
    I dont think MacKenzie does his own rankings. He polls GMs and does something off his conversations if I am not mistaken.

Guys like Pronman and Button do their own thing and dont care if others like them or not. They had to get where they are by doing something right.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think MacKenzie does his own rankings. He polls GMs and does something off his conversations if I am not mistaken.

Guys like Pronman and Button do their own thing and dont care if others like them or not. They had to get where they are by doing something right.
    This is exactly right. Bob uses the consolidated rankings of real NHL scouts. He doesn't even want to use his own name there but I think TSN is forcing it in there. He's definitely a smart hockey guy but doesn't really follow prospects as he's focused on the NHL.

One thing that's important to remember - real NHL scouts don't like taking risks because they can lose their jobs if they miss. They'd rather push a bottom-six player if there's no risk instead of going for a risky superstar. That's just how they're wired and nothing wrong with that - it's their livelihood on the line. Writer-scouts like Button and Pronman can take those chances even if that means they miss sometimes. I'd rather have one superstar and two busts than three boring depth players but that's just me. Others may like those safe but boring options and that's just fine.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I've always liked Pronman's rankings - sure they are different, but for fantasy purposes his emphasis on skill can be used to pull some excellent sleepers in the late rounds. The other draft lists, are trying hard to predict who will be good pro players - and will include many safe picks - guys who will more likely be waiver fodder. Pronman goes for upside, and does a great job of explaining why players are slotted ahead or below other players. Looking forward to his list this season.

Comish Dynasty 2021-22 (24 Team Roto Dynasty, Custom Salaries)
    Minnesota North Stars, 2nd Tier
    C - Aho, Rakell, Foligno, Trenin (Janmark, Steel, Kurashev)
    LW - Hall, Lucic, Sanford, Bellows (Vesalainen, Foote, Katchouk)
    RW - Seguin, Toffoli, Jaskin, Donskoi (Jarvis)
    D - Sergachev, Edler, Petterson, Forbort, Ceci, Valimaki (H.Fleury, Alexeyev, Salo)
    G - Price, Brossoit (Stolarz)