Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am going hit on a few names thrown out there that I totally disagree on. I am not going to try and defend all of the names thrown because I have better things to do.

Hall and Eberle. If anyone seriously thinks the Oilers ruined (or use any other adjective you want here) these two kids, then you seriously need to give you head a shake. Eberle had his best NHL season in Edmonton and probably wont get there again. I liked Eberle and didn't want the Oilers to deal him because they were weak on the wings. It happens. He was soft in his last season with Edmonton and it was clear that he wasn't a fit with McDavid. Hall was probably the best Oiler since being drafted by Edmonton. The injuries obviously slowed him down. The trade to NJ didn't boost his career, it only justified what Oilers fans had been seeing for years.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins - Just because he hasn't turned into a 75+ pt guy doesn't mean he's been a disappointment. If anything, he's probably been Edmontons most consistent player this season and if anything, is actually progressing into a quality NHL asset. Why else do you think so many other teams would love to have him.

Sam Gagner - He has never really been a great NHL player no matter where he's gone. He was sketchy in Edmonton (short of his 8pt game), terrible in Arizona, worse in Philly. He had a real nice year in Columbus last year (contract year in his prime NHL years as well I might add) and now in Vancouver he's back to where he's pretty much always been, a 0.5ppg type of player.

Devan Dubnyk - This one probably bothers me the most when people say the Oilers ruined him, or point out how much better he's been since leaving Edmonton. Any Oiler fan will tell you, Dubnyk was probably the best Oiler for years on some really bad teams. He was a bit inconsistent at times in Edmonton and at times, had a five-hole you could drive a Mac truck through, but Edmonton didn't ruin him at all. If anything, they gave up on him too early in his career, especially when you consider the age most goalies start to blossom. Dubnyks best years are coming exactly when they should have come; in his late 20's, after Edmonton traded him away. The poor team in front of him probably made him a better goalie if anything. As a goalie myself, I can tell you, any goalie WANTS to get peppered with shots. No one likes to get lit up, but we love lots of shots. It makes you better and that's exactly what it did with Dubnyk. Don't tell me the Oilers ruined him. They gave up early on him and that still ticks me off to this day.

I also don't agree when people start throwing names of players who were drafted Oilers players were drafted and try to sell me that those Oilers were ruined in Edmonton and that others succeeded in other places. We could sit here all day long, looking in hind-sight at guys who were drafted ahead of others who were disappointments. That isn't an Edmonton problem. It happens to EVERY NHL team. Hind-sight. It's a beautiful thing.

And finally, Shoelace, if you are going to throw a stone at a glass house, you need to be able to back it up. You needed a lot of help in this thread to try and defend your point that the Oilers "ruined" their draft picks. There's nothing worse then someone who likes to start a fight but needs backup to finish it. Weak sauce dude.
    How do people find time to write novels. Lots of evidence from many people outlining the Oilers circus and internal ruin.

Axeman, you remind me of this Ottawa homer I knew from HF Boards. I think his name was Big Ev. I met him once at a Sens event. Passionate fan, but completely in denial about his team.

Dobber Sports Deity

Well you dont know me well enough to compare me to anyone. I am more then welcome to criticize the Oilers when it's warranted. I do it quite a bit actually, especially during the Eakins/MacT/KLowe era, but I am not afraid to defend them when warranted as well.

Thanks for commenting on something you obviously don't know much about, be it the Oilers or me. While it's great to see new members get engaged, maybe stick to what you know better. I dont know what that is yet but from what I've seen, it isn't the Oilers or me. Hopefully you find it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Oilers criticism is warranted for 2017/18 season. They're abysmal
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Interesting team to follow beyond this year. The Oilers' fans were claiming all of the seemingly-bad decisions (Lucic, Larsson trade, Russell, etc) were good because they were good as a team last year. Now the same group crashes and burns. As a longtime fan I've seen plenty of examples where bad decisions lead to good outcomes (short-term) but over the long haul things generally play out the way they should. I'm skeptical about the Oilers moving forward but we'll see.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well you dont know me well enough to compare me to anyone. I am more then welcome to criticize the Oilers when it's warranted. I do it quite a bit actually, especially during the Eakins/MacT/KLowe era, but I am not afraid to defend them when warranted as well.

Thanks for commenting on something you obviously don't know much about, be it the Oilers or me. While it's great to see new members get engaged, maybe stick to what you know better. I dont know what that is yet but from what I've seen, it isn't the Oilers or me. Hopefully you find it.
    It wasn?t a comparison. I honestly thought you and Big Ev from HF Boards are the same person.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelace View Post
    It wasn?t a comparison. I honestly thought you and Big Ev from HF Boards are the same person.
    I actually thought you were Mr Mcgoo.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I actually thought you were Mr Mcgoo.
    Godin!!!! With a blast from the past.

Can’t believe Axe gets a BigEv comparison. That’s offside.

Let’s leave both those names on the past though.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Godin!!!! With a blast from the past.

Can’t believe Axe gets a BigEv comparison. That’s offside.

Let’s leave both those names on the past though.
    Couldn't beieve it either. lol....and yeah, let's.

Dobber Sports Deity

You've got it all figured out. I am so glad you found your way here from HF Boards. I can't wait to read more of your insight that you bring from there. You're proving yourself to be a resource we've been missing for some time now around these parts.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

You've got it all figured out. I am so glad you found your way here from HF Boards. I can't wait to read more of your insight that you bring from there. You're proving yourself to be a resource we've been missing for some time now around these parts.
    Okay thanks.

To to get back on topic, your arguments have been decent but other arguments have been stronger. The Oilers have a lot of work to do, and sadly Chia?s moves up until now are looking worse by the day. He had the chance to add pieces to build a strong contender this summer but instead chose lateral moves while the Hall trade gradually looks worse. The team is a cluster deuce and McDavid will want out soon enough.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Okay thanks.

To to get back on topic, your arguments have been decent but other arguments have been stronger. The Oilers have a lot of work to do, and sadly Chia?s moves up until now are looking worse by the day. He had the chance to add pieces to build a strong contender this summer but instead chose lateral moves while the Hall trade gradually looks worse. The team is a cluster deuce and McDavid will want out soon enough.
    in 8 yrs from July 1...he can walk

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    in 8 yrs from July 1...he can walk
    Can’t see him taking more than another year of dysfunctional management before forcing his way out

Dobber Sports Jedi

Can’t see him taking more than another year of dysfunctional management before forcing his way out
    I'll bet some solid coin two years from now he'll still be an Oiler and that the media has not reported he requested a trade.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'll bet some solid coin two years from now he'll still be an Oiler and that the media has not reported he requested a trade.

I am not taking that bet! I think he will be there for the full term of his contract.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I am not taking that bet! I think he will be there for the full term of his contract.
    I know... there's no chance. Shoelace has basically reduced his argument to trolling so... why not make some $$ off it?