Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

The Oilers kinda need to win this draft lottery.. I mean, there's not a lot of help coming, Jones & Bear are projecting as bottom pair Dmen, not a lot at F coming either. Outside of 1st round picks this team hasn't been drafting well at all. I don't see this team improving moving forward TBH.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    The Oilers kinda need to win this draft lottery.. I mean, there's not a lot of help coming, Jones & Bear are projecting as bottom pair Dmen, not a lot at F coming either. Outside of 1st round picks this team hasn't been drafting well at all. I don't see this team improving moving forward TBH.
    No....actually they don't. They never need to win it. Ever again.

Hoping for a solid Talbot outting tonight.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post

heh... right?
    But I mean... this whole 'Bettman hates Canadian teams' is utter crap. I mean, if he really was against Canada winning the cup, Someone other than Edmonton would have drafted 1st overall in the past decade and his 'pet project' Arizona would have won the lottery instead.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    heh... right?
    But I mean... this whole 'Bettman hates Canadian teams' is utter crap. I mean, if he really was against Canada winning the cup, Someone other than Edmonton would have drafted 1st overall in the past decade and his 'pet project' Arizona would have won the lottery instead.
    It's all a farce. he's trying to show how inept some of these Canadian organizations are. #1 Oilers (inept). #2 Montreal (near inept). #3 Ottawa (aka Toronto's other home games)...

With all the press these teams are getting (for all the wrong reasons) deflects just negative attention on him and his little Pet Zona project... and selling Seattle and Texas...

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Exactly. I am not getting upset, but some passionate Oilers fans are frustrated and tend to lose their cool with the way the Oilers season has gone. I am a passionate Oilers fan but a reasonable one. It's been a bad year after finally tasting some success for a change. I am the forever optimist. Next year will be better.
    Good attitude bro.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post

Question. What has greater chances? Winning the lottery or Talbot having a good showing tonight?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ill keep it real. No worries.

- - - Updated - - -

Whos career has been ruined by the Oilers?
    Just Yakupovs

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    Question. What has greater chances? Winning the lottery or Talbot having a good showing tonight?
    I bought a lottery ticket and benched Talbot...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelace View Post
    Just Yakupovs
    LOL! Yakupov wasn't ruined by the Oilers. He was simply part of what has turned out to be a bit of a weak draft class. Who else would you have taken first overall at that time? The other option they discussed was Ryan Murray and he's been a disappointment. Galchenyuk has been a disappointment. Griffin Reinhart? We already know he's been a disappointment. Morgan Rielly went next at fifth overall and he's just finally showing something and let's be honest, the only guy who said he'd take him 1st overall was Bryan Burke but he's going to say that because he drafted Rielly.

The Oilers didn't ruin Yakupov. The 2012 draft class simply wasn't as strong at the top as teams had hoped. Later picks turned out to be the better picks but no one was ranking a lot of the later picks anywhere near the top of the draft at that time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

LOL! Yakupov wasn't ruined by the Oilers. He was simply part of what has turned out to be a bit of a weak draft class. Who else would you have taken first overall at that time? The other option they discussed was Ryan Murray and he's been a disappointment. Galchenyuk has been a disappointment. Griffin Reinhart? We already know he's been a disappointment. Morgan Rielly went next at fifth overall and he's just finally showing something and let's be honest, the only guy who said he'd take him 1st overall was Bryan Burke but he's going to say that because he drafted Rielly.

The Oilers didn't ruin Yakupov. The 2012 draft class simply wasn't as strong at the top as teams had hoped. Later picks turned out to be the better picks but no one was ranking a lot of the later picks anywhere near the top of the draft at that time.
    It was a joke, forgot the winking emoji, sorry

Your response though, That’s good passion.

Dobber Sports Deity

It's not passion, it's a known entity. The top three potential picks that year have all been a disappointment, some more than others.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

LOL! Yes they did.

Oilers ruined Yakupov, just like the Habs are ruining Galchenyuk. At least he's shown he's a 30 goal scorer, on a different team I could see a mini Seguin-like break out.

Murray I'd say injuries hurt his development, and I feel like Reinhart always had huge question marks even in his draft year if i recall correctly.

Reilly was no different, headed towards being a bust for his draft position. Didn't get his shit together until Babcock developed him properly. Now he's a potential #1.

Lindholm and Trouba were great picks too, although the latter has had development issues as well.

Just because there was no generational player doesn't mean it was a weak draft class. The 2012 draft just had teams that were weak at development selecting near the top.

Maybe another team can blame the draft on being weak for their top pick not panning out. But the Oilers have a HUGE sample size in lottery picks and aside from the generational superstar the others have all fell short of their pre-draft potential. That's not the drafts being weak, that's poor development.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It's not passion, it's a known entity. The top three potential picks that year have all been a disappointment, some more than others.
    Hall, Eberle, Schultz will all have greater success away from Edmonton. Schultz already has, Hall is having his best all around season this year, Eberle will probably never match his 76-point season but will develop a better two way game , and Yakupov isn’t very good no matter where he plays.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    LOL! Yes they did.

Oilers ruined Yakupov, just like the Habs are ruining Galchenyuk. At least he's shown he's a 30 goal scorer, on a different team I could see a mini Seguin-like break out.

Murray I'd say injuries hurt his development, and I feel like Reinhart always had huge question marks even in his draft year if i recall correctly.

Reilly was no different, headed towards being a bust for his draft position. Didn't get his shit together until Babcock developed him properly. Now he's a potential #1.

Lindholm and Trouba were great picks too, although the latter has had development issues as well.

Just because there was no generational player doesn't mean it was a weak draft class. The 2012 draft just had teams that were weak at development selecting near the top.

Maybe another team can blame the draft on being weak for their top pick not panning out. But the Oilers have a HUGE sample size in lottery picks and aside from the generational superstar the others have all fell short of their pre-draft potential. That's not the drafts being weak, that's poor development.
    Well you can look at it through your glasses and I see it through mine. The Oilers should have drafted Ryan Murray (not that it would have helped much in hind-sight) over Yakupov. We have had a chance to see Yakupov on other teams and play for different coaches but he's never lived up to the first overall pick status. We can't say the same for Murray or Galchenyuk yet, but we have seen it for Yakupov.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    LOL! Yes they did.

Really good post. Edmonton’s poor developmental approach has in essence ruined a lot of their players over the past decade. It’s very sad but true what’s been outlined here.