Thread: Tanking or just a loop-hole?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Tanking or just a loop-hole?

In a H2H league where min start/week is 3 for goalies. Goalie cats account for 1/3 of our categories.

What are your thoughts on a team selling his goalies so he is only running two backups with 0 chance of ever getting the minimum starts/week. This is a rebuilding team.

One on hand, the roster is legal (still two goalies in the two active goalie slots). On the other, it seems like actively tanking and using the min/starts as a loophole to assist in the tank.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Tanking or just a loop-hole?

What do the league rules/constitution/by-laws say? If there's no rule against it why wouldn't he be able to do it?

You have a 16 team league, unless you prevent any team from having more than 1 starting NHL goalie on its roster you're going to inevitably have teams with zero legit starters. This isn't tanking at all in my opinion. If he HAD 2 legit starters and left them on the bench every time their teams were playing it would be tanking, this is just rebuilding.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    You have a 16 team league, unless you prevent any team from having more than 1 starting NHL goalie on its roster you're going to inevitably have teams with zero legit starters. This isn't tanking at all in my opinion. If he HAD 2 legit starters and left them on the bench every time their teams were playing it would be tanking, this is just rebuilding.
    I agree with this. It's a huge risk if you're selling your starting goalies and hoping you can acquire 1 or 2 of them when your rebuild is done. If any GM wants to take that risk, then I don't see anything bad with that.

By the way, minimum 3 starts per week seems like a bit too much in a 16 team league. Maybe consider changing that to 2 in the future. It happens all the time that a starting goalie only plays 2 games per week, and if you don't happen to have proper backup available who happens to play during that week, then that just sucks.

Dobber Sports Jedi

sounds like tanking via loophole. That said, who are his two 'back-up' goalies?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Montoya and Stalock. Sold Howard and Smith

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Not concerned about the trades in and of themselves. I understand selling those two goalies if you're rebuilding.

Just a unique situation I haven't seen before.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
    Montoya and Stalock. Sold Howard and Smith
    heh... this isn't even smart tanking.. he should have at least grabbed Saros or someone who has a starting future... poor planning on his part. the two he sold aren't great, but this is awful... still, seems within the rules.

it's a pretty good year to tank too.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    sounds like tanking via loophole. That said, who are his two 'back-up' goalies?
    This is my question as well. If the back-ups are Grubauer or Saros or someone like that, I can see that as part of a re-build process. If it's Montoya and Budaj, not so much.

EDIT: never mind.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's definitely tanking, but I also don't see any problem with it. I mean is Howard even a starter? Smith was the only one and it's reasonable to presume he got decent pieces back for him. I assume minimum starts is to prevent a team from getting a shutout on Monday and benching his goalies the rest of the week. To me, that's only a problem if Sv% and GAA are your only goalie categories. Once you start including Wins, SVs, SO, etc. it's less of a problem. You said goalie categories are 1/3 of your total categories. If you have like 5 or 6 or more goalie categories, you don't really need minimum starts. It's not beneficial for a team to punt the rest of the categories to win 2 of them, and even if it is they'ye probably not helping themselves.

Dobber Sports Ace

Why on earth is the league 1/3 goalie stats? And why a minimum weekly start of 3 if there are 16 teams? The league is broken. This league is entirely who is closest to their phone when a goalie is injured. Dumb.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
    In a H2H league where min start/week is 3 for goalies. Goalie cats account for 1/3 of our categories.

What are your thoughts on a team selling his goalies so he is only running two backups with 0 chance of ever getting the minimum starts/week. This is a rebuilding team.

One on hand, the roster is legal (still two goalies in the two active goalie slots). On the other, it seems like actively tanking and using the min/starts as a loophole to assist in the tank.
    lol. During my rebuild year, McDavid got injured right away. So I went into a true rebuild of a keep 5 as my Keepers other than McDavid were bad....

Opposite of this guy, I was carrying 6-7 goalies at one point and every rookie I could snag. Larkin, Ehlers, Draisaitl, + Elliott, Hellebuyck, Reimer, Miller, Talbot, Condon, Varlamov.....

Goalie injuries started happening left right and center and NOBODY could get a goalie because I had them all. I ended up leveraging them in trades, selling them for picks, you name it. You want to see someone mad, watch them grumble as they pay a 2nd rounder to get Ryan Miller and Condon because they will lose goalie cats by default every week if they don't.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Ace

What the manager is doing is fine.

What needs to happen is your league vote on how to prevent tanking next year and going forward.
    I suggest all non-playoff teams get equal lotto odds. I would never full out tank with that rule in place.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Ace

Seems like a Loophole to me. how does the drafting system work? Last place gets 1st pick?
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Sage

Next year's 1st round pick is not going to fix his goalie situation and he will still lose 1/3 of the cats. It's a poor strategy if you ask me but within the rules.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):