Thread: Toronto-LA game non fight.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Toronto-LA game non fight.

I can't figure out how Matt Martin and Andy Andreoff got coincidental roughing minors on the Dowd standing up Moore on a suicide pass to him play. Martin skated over to the gathering and threw 4 punches at Andreoff who was just holding on. lol They both got roughing penalties! WTF? So instead of Martin sitting in the penalty box with a 2 for instigating and a 5 for fighting, he gets back on the ice after 2 minutes, then scores a fluke. There didn't seem to be any dispute from John Stevens either. Did I miss something? I've watched it a couple of times now.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Toronto-LA game non fight.

Andreoff threw his gloves off before Martin did and well before any punches were thrown. Looks like a willing combatant to me - and to the refs apparently. Weird it was 2 minutes and not 5 though - I do agree about that.
    If he keeps his gloves on and Martin grabs him and starts punching I get your point. No instigator penalty needed here though IMO.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by kgray View Post
    Andreoff threw his gloves off before Martin did and well before any punches were thrown. Looks like a willing combatant to me - and to the refs apparently. Weird it was 2 minutes and not 5 though - I do agree about that.
    If he keeps his gloves on and Martin grabs him and starts punching I get your point. No instigator penalty needed here though IMO.
    That was the 2nd "Fight" after Marner went to his knees to avoid a hit when he had no stick. The Fight he's talking about Martin just picked a random guy in the crowd because Polak (i do believe) was already going after the hitter, but had fallen skating in.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I was wondering why it was 4 on 4 after that "fight". Martin had a great stat line regardless.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I can't figure out how Matt Martin and Andy Andreoff got coincidental roughing minors on the Dowd standing up Moore on a suicide pass to him play. Martin skated over to the gathering and threw 4 punches at Andreoff who was just holding on. lol They both got roughing penalties! WTF? So instead of Martin sitting in the penalty box with a 2 for instigating and a 5 for fighting, he gets back on the ice after 2 minutes, then scores a fluke. There didn't seem to be any dispute from John Stevens either. Did I miss something? I've watched it a couple of times now.
    I never saw the game. My thought as to why Stevens did not dispute this is because Andreoff is more of an asset to the Kings than MArtin is to the Leafs? I doubt Stevens thought Martin was going to score a goal... but if he had known that then he might have disputed it. haha. I am sure if it was MAtthews.. then Stevens would be up in arms to make sure Matthews was sitting for 5 minutes.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    That was the 2nd "Fight" after Marner went to his knees to avoid a hit when he had no stick. The Fight he's talking about Martin just picked a random guy in the crowd because Polak (i do believe) was already going after the hitter, but had fallen skating in.
    I re-watched the play before posting - you are right about how you described it though, Polak did fall, but Martin came in right behind him and he and Andreoff squared off. Andreoff did drop his gloves first too though (for some reason decided not to actually throw a punch). My original post I believe is still correct as I was referencing the same play.

In both cases though, it appears Martin is being careful and making sure he is getting someone to drop their gloves first to avoid an instigator penalty. Well done.

7 Teams, points only, roster 30 w/ up to 4 'prospect' spots, keep 12
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 2 Teams - G/A/GWG = 1 pt., Hat Trick = 5 pts.
    Teams - Win = 2 pts., Loss = -1 pt., SO = 5 pts.
    Up to 3 waiver pickups/yr. (2 remaining)

F: Matthews, Marner, Scheifele, Kuznetsov, Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Panarin, Mantha, Schenn, Schwartz, Lindholm, Arvidsson, Johnsson, Connor, Svechnikov, Miller
    (P) J. Hughes, Lafreniere
    D:
    Burns, Pietrangelo, Klefbom, Trouba, OEL, Gustafsson, Schultz, Gostisbehere
    (P) Theodore
    T: Vegas, Colorado, Calgary

Administrator

NHL does this all the time - take them both out rather than make an actual decision that might piss off one of the coaches

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust