Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Rumors] Galchenyuk to the Penguins?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: [Rumors] Galchenyuk to the Penguins?

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    But respective ice times, Ross.
    Just because Edmonton is giving RNH way more TOI than Galch is getting doesn't mean they would value him higher than Galch - maybe if Edmonton acquired Galch for other assets (not Nuge) they'd give him even more TOI than RNH! We just don't know, and their respective TOI numbers only tell part of the story.

And I do realize rataylor that that was tongue in cheek - my comment was directed at eyemissgilmour.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I thought it was obvious that one must consider other information as well as the sources on the ice time and # of shifts (above). Such as all the sources and media that is out there that states Galchenyuk is playing on the fourth line.

Yes there are other circumstances like Theodore playing in the AHL... but sources have explained why that is. He has a 2 way contract and other D-men on Vegas don't.

Montreal certainly isn't playing him on the 4th line because they are trying to trade him or because they are scoring so many goals that they don't need him in the top 9.

Obviously there are other reasons he has been demoted to the 4th line. And if Montreal 'higher-ups' can see it... I am sure those trusted with making decisions in Edmonton can also see it when they scout the Montreal Canadiens. Those same decision makers in Edmonton are the ones that place the value on where RNH plays in the lineup.
    All of this requires a lot of assumptions. All of them are reasonable and likely accurate assumptions that I personally don't have any problems with. It's simply prudent to point out that all of them are assumptions that historically, certain other posters have not been willing to accept without a concrete source for such assumptions, preferably one inside the management group of the team in question.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Based on career stats to date (advantage Nuge), position (advantage Nuge), and character (advantage Nuge)... I have to ask:

On what objective measure(s) would any GM reasonably value Galchenyuk more ?

I guess one could argue Galchenyuk's career possession stats are better, but I'd say not really... considering zone starts and their overall team's quality since being drafted.
    I can understand the sexiness of Galchenyuk in fantasy leagues, higher offensive upside for sure, but (imho, no source readily available) Nuge is a better all around hockey player and I'd rather use him as a building piece on a real NHL team.
    I agree on character, that's one apparent red flag since Galch came to Montreal. But point production? Gal has has been more productive, esp taking into account ice time, he's the only one with a 30-goal season.

Anyway that's what makes Habs fans bonkers about Galch's deployment, that he has that rare combo of skill and speed that you just have to let loose, and with the C depth chart as is, how is it possible we're not playing him at C? How could it be any worse?

When all is said and done, it's quite possible you're right and Chiarelli and the coaching staff would value RNH higher, but I'd bet they'd value Galchenyuk higher given their needs.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Respective ice time is only one of many, many other factors.
    It's impossible to say who would be valued more, sure, but I haven't yet seen any objective evidence on why someone might want Galchenyuk more. Except for slightly better possession numbers (albeit a potentially misleading advantage) as I stated myself in the other post.
    It's never only about objective, fact-based assessments. A GM may know what Galchy has done in juniors and the NHL and may feel he's a diamond in the rough who will explode in new surroundings DESPITE objective evidence suggesting otherwise.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I assume as such, Nashville values Alexei Emelin higher than Sam Girard, and Vegas values Derek Engellend higher than Shea Theodore, and Vegas values Derek Engelland more than Nashville values Sam Girard, and Nashville values Alexei Emelin higher than Vegas values Shea Theodore.

Don't go back-tracking on your own words now. Based on ice time and usage, arguments you JUST ENDORSED, these statements are true.

Now of course it would be silly to take something like current ice time and usage and use that as a definitive indicator of how much a team values a player, or how one team values one player vs. another team values a completely different player, but hey, don't go changing your argument now.

Of course on the other hand, the argument was that Edmonton values RNH higher than they value Galchenyuk, not that Edmonton values RNH more than Montreal values Galchenyuk. I'm not sure I see how Montreal's usage of Galchenyuk indicates to us how Edmonton values him or his relative value to RNH. Who knows, maybe Galchenyuk would play even more than RNH if he was on Edmonton. It's certainly not something anyone on here could speak to.
    just gawd awful comparisons. Take established vets vs. prospects just teething in the NHL. RNH & Chucky are similar age & experience at least.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    just gawd awful comparisons. Take established vets vs. prospects just teething in the NHL. RNH & Chucky are similar age & experience at least.
    Probably as bad as pretending like usage is an indicator of value to a team.

The argument was solely based on how much players are playing. Usage is as irrelevant for vets vs. prospects as it is for similar players, in this specific conversation.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Probably as bad as pretending like usage is an indicator of value to a team.

The argument was solely based on how much players are playing. Usage is as irrelevant for vets vs. prospects as it is for similar players, in this specific conversation.
    I'll just stick to the cage match threads then...

Dobber Sports Titan

Crosby for Gally. Crosby is hurting the Penguins with his penalties.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm still waiting for the source on how RNH is Edmonton's best center! What games have I been watching?!

Although in all seriousness, I too would prefer RNH to Galchenyuk. Primarily because (again, this is my opinion, but so is every post on this site so I found that comment by Axe to be irrelevant and a copout response) Galchenyuk comes across as arrogant and doesn't seem to give 110% every shift which is kinda unacceptable in the NHL. Granted I barely watch the Habs, but when I do he's either a stud or doggin it. Not a fan of that.

The Great One

The Habs are not looking to trade Galchenyuk. There is no other way to view this. They are trying to get out of this horrible tail spin and push their players to be the best they can be. Bergevin has made some bad moves, but even he is not stupid enough to try and trade a player in the situation Galchenyuk is in right now. He's got talent and is signed to a very reasonable contract. He's money in the bank once Julien gets this team headed in some semblance of the right direction. Then will be a better time to asses and gauge value for his players on the trade market. As stated this Pens rumor is just silly.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I'm still waiting for the source on how RNH is Edmonton's best center! What games have I been watching?!

Although in all seriousness, I too would prefer RNH to Galchenyuk. Primarily because (again, this is my opinion, but so is every post on this site so I found that comment by Axe to be irrelevant and a copout response) Galchenyuk comes across as arrogant and doesn't seem to give 110% every shift which is kinda unacceptable in the NHL. Granted I barely watch the Habs, but when I do he's either a stud or doggin it. Not a fan of that.
    I never read RNH was Edm's best centre. I read Edm values him more than Mtl values Galchenyuk. and its' been made very clear THERE WAS NO SOURCE. It was an opinion, which 95% of this site is made up of.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I wont be surprised if and when he gets traded most will shake their head at how little they get for him. Many Habs fans feel he's worth more than everyone else around.

As I mentioned earlier, twitter was buzzing that the Habs should dwal him for RNH. No way the Oilers are dealing RNH for him straight up. No way in hell. RNH may not be scoring like a 1st overall but hes been their best true center this year.
    For context.

The Great One

Not really sure how a silly "The Pens are interested in Galchenyuk" thread turned into a pissing contest on how the Oilers value RNH...but here we are. *Sarcastic Slow Clap*
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Not really sure how a silly "The Pens are interested in Galchenyuk" thread turned into a pissing contest on how the Oilers value RNH...but here we are. *Sarcastic Slow Clap*
    Well an Oilers fan brought up RNH. That would be the genesis.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Looking at how the Habs have botched Galchenyuk's development, and now using him as a 4th liner as a way of what? igniting his inner compete level??? No, he will most assuredly be moved, but there is no chance they could get Guentzel back...Maatta does make sense, as he is expendable in Pittsburgh, and we all know how desperate the Canadiens are for any help they can get on the back end. A straight 1 for 1 addresses needs on both ends, as the Pens know that putting an underachiever with some elite centremen has worked for them in the past, and the Galchenyuk requisition project would as well.
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy