Thread: Red Sox fire John Farrell

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Red Sox fire John Farrell

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...-john-farrell/

BOSTON -The Boston Red Sox fired manager John Farrell on Wednesday after the team?s second straight loss in the AL Division Series.

The Red Sox announced the move less than 48 hours after they were eliminated from the playoffs with a 5-4 loss to the Houston Astros. Farrell?s contract had been scheduled to run through the 2018 season.

#RedSox announce John Farrell will not return as manager in 2018. They went 432-378 under Farrell, winning the World Series in 2013. pic.twitter.com/NHEWgfGhvX

? Sportsnet Stats (@SNstats) October 11, 2017

Boston won back-to-back American League East titles for the first time in franchise history this season despite losing the bat of retired slugger David Ortiz. It also did it despite starting the season with $217 million pitcher David Price on the disabled list and watching as 2016 Cy Young Award winner Rick Porcello stumbled to an 11-17 record.

Farrell managed the team to its eighth World Series title in 2013, his first season. But he found himself under a harsh spotlight each of the last two seasons after exits in the division series of the post-season.

Farrell went 432-378 over five seasons with Boston. He managed Toronto for two seasons before that and went 154-170.

Farrell said after losing to the Astros that the team didn?t meet its goals but had some good young players continue to develop.

"We had a number of challenges thrown our way from individual injuries to performance," he said. "But as a team they stuck together."

The offence slumped after Ortiz retired, even though the team had baseball?s third-highest payroll. Several players also struggled with health issues, including second baseman Dustin Pedroia and pitcher Drew Pomeranz.

Farrell began his coaching career with Boston as a pitching coach from 2007-2010. He was part of the team?s 2007 World Series title.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Red Sox fire John Farrell

As a Jay's fan... I approve this move!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    As a Jay's fan... I approve this move!
    I don't, makes them better
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Wow... you know expectations are high when a coach from a playoff team gets fired.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I don't, makes them better
    Doesn't make the Jays better?

No, you're right about that.

But as a Fan, I have no love for Farrell. Totally personal and Karma driven response.

Kinda like as a Canadian, I'd be happy to see Trump impeached. Then again, I'm also entertained by the ineptness of America to let their leadership come down to those two clowns.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Doesn't make the Jays better?

No, you're right about that.

But as a Fan, I have no love for Farrell. Totally personal and Karma driven response.

Kinda like as a Canadian, I'd be happy to see Trump impeached. Then again, I'm also entertained by the ineptness of America to let their leadership come down to those two clowns.
    Ya my response was kinda tongue in cheek. But I will always like it when this guy gets fired, solely because of what happened with him and the Jays.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

Damn... I really liked Farrell but the last two postseasons were pretty big disappointments.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Doesn't really impact the Jays since we're going to be shit for the forseeable future