Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AP Traded to Cardinals

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default AP Traded to Cardinals

Interesting. Still don't love his outlook, but it seems like a better situation than he was in with the Saints and likely worth a flier if he's on your wire and you have a need.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...drian-peterson
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: AP Traded to Cardinals

I think he is done though.....even more so than CJ.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Hope this gets the Cardinals going enough to win just enough games to make sure they bring DJ back when he is healthy. But not enough that AP eats into DJ time when he is back.....

very fine line there. haha

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm more concerned about the outlook on Ellington. I've had him pinned as a bit of a PPR sleeper since DJ went down.
    Not many remember, but he was all lined up to be the starting back in Arizona a couple years ago and then got injured in the preseason and had to miss the first few games. In that time their new rookie emerged and took over (David Johnson). Ellington was never a bad player, was just robbed of his opportunity.

We know that Arians loves to run though and every backs there tend to do well when given volume (Ware, West, DJ, etc..). AP is worth a flier, but don't blow your whole FAAB on him or anything

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Matters more for Ingram and Kamara than it does for anyone in AZ

Dobber Sports Titan

Unless AD (come on guys, it's AD for "All Day") gets 20+ touches he's done. He's a volume back who can't catch, he needs to wear ppl down and get into a rhythm. The way Ellington has played, Peterson won't do well unless he explodes on his first few carries.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

To clarify:

I'm not expecting Peterson to turn back clock 5 years or anything, but I think there is a chance he becomes the early down back with volume.

Chris Johnson sucks. And the only thing Ellington has ever proven is that he's incapable of carrying the load. He's too fragile and gets hurt without fail under even moderate workloads. He'll still be the receiving back, but saving him from that pound the line wear and tear -- I think that's exactly why they brought Peterson in.

Kerwyn hasn't gotten it done.
    Johnson hasn't gotten it done.
    I don't think they can afford to run Ellington with 20+ touches a game.

So I think Peterson gets his shot. Totally not worth blowing a huge chunk of the budget on or anything. But worth a low cost flier if you can get him in the off chance that he catches lightning in a bottle.

P.s. Also agree that this is far more helpful news for Engram and Kamara, but I imagine those guys are long gone in most leagues.

W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Unless AD (come on guys, it's AD for "All Day") gets 20+ touches he's done. He's a volume back who can't catch, he needs to wear ppl down and get into a rhythm. The way Ellington has played, Peterson won't do well unless he explodes on his first few carries.
    Even if he gets 20 touches, taht O-Line is terrible and Petey has lost more than a step. He might provide a coupole good games but he's not returning to RB1 (or even RB2) status here.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yet someone still spent almost $40 on him in our faab league...wow

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lol. I had first WW priority and....didn't bother.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Not a bad showing from the old man in his first game as a Cardinal.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Yet someone still spent almost $40 on him in our faab league...wow
    Yep...my post looks dumb. Still doubt it holds up.

Dobber Sports Titan

I dont think he does that all year, he's old and no way can he physically keep it up. But just as I said if he gets touches he rocks it. You gotta live and die by AD, he'll lose 2-5yards over 2 carries, then breaks out a 20yard run. He just needed to get in rhythm. Butttttt he's got like 4-7 weeks of relevancy left. DJ should be back in 7 weeks max.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

He looked good, but I wouldn't go overboard. It was a very favorable game script for AZ which allowed them to rely on the ground game. Plus TB's defense isn't all that great, especially their secondary. If AZ gets into a negative game script situation where they'll be forced to throw a ton, AP won't be involved nearly as much as he was in the recent contest.

Of course, predicting game flow is a fool's errand so I still like AP as a flex play or RB2/3 in standard formats only
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

I wouldn’t overreact to his performance against the Bucs by starting him over established stars, but it’s unwise to underestimate Peterson’s value at this point too.

I don’t think last week’s performance can be chalked up completely to game script. If I’m not mistaken, Peterson had 54 yards and a TD on the opening drive of the game alone. And it wasn’t one busted play by the defense either. He strung together runs of 8, 8, 11 and 27 yards or some such thing. And while it got out of hand for a bit, he was getting heavy work again and added another TD when it was tight late (having another 40-something yard run called back in the process). He played really well throughout, and that’s how the Cards need to win games given their other personnel. So I’d expect the opportunity for heavy workload to continue to be there unless/until DJ returns. He did exactly what Williams, Ellington and C.J. have been unable to do.

Sure, Peterson will likely lose some touches if the game script gets completely out of hand in the other direction. But there are very, very few RBs in be NFL right now for whom that isn’t the case.

Long story short, in a season as topsy-turvy as this has been at the RB position, Peterson holds real value as a start on a weekly basis in pretty much all leagues. There simply aren’t as many rock solid options at the position as we’re accustomed to.