Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Who will be this year's first coaching casualty?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Who will be this year's first coaching casualty?

I think people finally realize it's usually not the coach that's the issue, it's the GM.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Still no coach fired this season? Hard to believe...

Has there ever been a season where there hasn't been at least one coach fired by the All-Star Break?
    Thought for sure there would be a firing before the all-star break - Still go a couple days
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Master

OK...so I expected at least one coach to be gone by now, but NOT A SINGLE FIRING!!!

Is it time to start gambling on who is the first coach to go once the regular season is over??

I'll put my money on Alain Vigneault. The Rangers are all in on the rebuild, and I think it will include Vigneault at the end of the season.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

Oh the Paul Maurice hate was running rampant heading into this season. It reminds me of this thread posted after the Jets re-signed both Maurice and Chevy to their contract extensions back in the summer.

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...t=paul+maurice
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'm going to be bold and say no coaches are fired during the season.

We've had 10 new hires since January (not including Gallant), and five more since the end of the 2015-16 season. That means half the coaches in the league have been at their job for a full season or less. So they should be safe.

Another eight coaches have been hired since the end of the 2014-15 season. That's 23 teams with new coaches in two years or less.

Most teams that have had coaches for a few years aren't on the hot seat (ie- Chicago, Nashville, Tampa, Washington). Paul Maurice just signed an extension so I think he's safe unless the team loses 15 in a row.

The teams that could have coaches in trouble (ie - Detroit) know that they are bad teams and would probably wait until next summer to get a new coach when there could be potentially more coaches on the market.

My dark horse pick would be Bill Peters if Carolina has a slow start. But truthfully, it wouldn't surprise me if no coaches were fired this year.
    Someone isn't surprised that no coach has been fired yet this year. Good call.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'm going to be bold and say no coaches are fired during the season.

We've had 10 new hires since January (not including Gallant), and five more since the end of the 2015-16 season. That means half the coaches in the league have been at their job for a full season or less. So they should be safe.

Another eight coaches have been hired since the end of the 2014-15 season. That's 23 teams with new coaches in two years or less.

Most teams that have had coaches for a few years aren't on the hot seat (ie- Chicago, Nashville, Tampa, Washington). Paul Maurice just signed an extension so I think he's safe unless the team loses 15 in a row.

The teams that could have coaches in trouble (ie - Detroit) know that they are bad teams and would probably wait until next summer to get a new coach when there could be potentially more coaches on the market.

My dark horse pick would be Bill Peters if Carolina has a slow start. But truthfully, it wouldn't surprise me if no coaches were fired this year.
    Someone isn't surprised that no coach has been fired yet this year. Good call.

Bednar would have been my bet but for some reason, the Avalanche turned it around after trading Duchene. That reason is MacKinnon. Crazy how a move can turn someone's switch on.

Dobber Sports Master

So TSN and Frank Seravelli have some reasons why no coach has been fired this year. Give it a look, and share your thoughts.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/why-hav...-fired~1349839

F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My guess is Bill Peters. Another underachieving season, questionable player deployment, new owner that wants to shake things up and control things.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I defended him for the 1st two seasons but I'm hoping Gulutzan in Calgary.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    OK...so I expected at least one coach to be gone by now, but NOT A SINGLE FIRING!!!

Is it time to start gambling on who is the first coach to go once the regular season is over??

I'll put my money on Alain Vigneault. The Rangers are all in on the rebuild, and I think it will include Vigneault at the end of the season.
    Shortly after the season ended for the Rangers today, AJ got the axe! More to come before the playoffs start???

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Shortly after the season ended for the Rangers today, AJ got the axe! More to come before the playoffs start???
    I'd guess that we see something in Carolina, but not a firing. I think it's akin to neither side wanting to pick up a mutual option.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Interesting Note: After Joel Quenneville, no coach in the NHL has more than 5 years coaching their current club. Crazy, huh?
    Notable because usually a new GM wants to put their stamp on a club with "their" coach.
    But I'm not sure there's a single GM in league that hasn't hired his coach.
    When it's "your" coach - you give him some leash before saying that you made a mistake.

So, I'd speculate on an older-coach... and a new GM - maybe one who has no claim towards the hiring of that coach.

One of the longer ones is Alain Vigneault (NYR) - who got off on a bad foot with a loss last night vs. a bottom 2 NHL team.
    The Rangers are defensively improved, but offensively... poor. They might have trouble scoring.
    AV has been with the Rangers since 2013.
    Gorton has only been official GM since 2015.
    That makes AV... NOT a Gorton hire.
    So...
    AV for me. (on this logic)
    Yay! I got something right this year! (not saying much... but hey, I'll take it!)