View Poll Results: Which of the 15 Fearless Fantasy Forecasts will come true?

Voters
47. This poll is closed
  • 15 defensemen will score 50+ points

14 29.79%
  • No Sharks forward will score 60+ points

10 21.28%
  • Patrick Sharp will outscore Alexander Radulov

3 6.38%
  • More than half of NHL teams will have a 60+ game goalie

9 19.15%
  • Ehlers goal total > Schultz?s point total

6 12.77%
  • Raanta will finish in top 5 for SV% among 40+ game goalies

10 21.28%
  • Pietrangelo will outscore Werenski by 15+ points

16 34.04%
  • McDavid points + Draisaitl points < 160

10 21.28%
  • Budaj will start more games than Vasilevskiy

8 17.02%
  • The Jets will lead the league in goals scored

20 42.55%
  • A Carolina forward will score 75+ points

8 17.02%
  • Milan Lucic will score fewer than 40 points

12 25.53%
  • Wennberg will finish in the top 3 for NHL forwards in assists

8 17.02%
  • Anders Lee will have the most goals in the Metropolitan Division

5 10.64%
  • Guentzel and Sheary will both be outpointed by Evander Kane

10 21.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 15 Fearless Fantasy Forecasts for 2017-18 - Vote here and post your own!

The Great One

Default 15 Fearless Fantasy Forecasts for 2017-18 - Vote here and post your own!

With the 2017-18 season starting tonight, that means it's predictions time! With that I mind, and always with a nod to the legendary Jeff Angus who used to pen this column, here's a link to my 15 Fearless Fantasy Forecasts for 2017-18: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...s-for-2017-18/

Why 15 this year instead of the usual ten? Actually, every year I prepare more than ten, just in case several have to be nixed at the last minute due to injuries or other 11th hour changed circumstances. This time I ended up with 15 in the queue which, as luck would have it, still seemed forecast-worthy (at least to me) once it came time to submit the column. So I figured I'd include them all, rather than trim the list to ten. Let me know if you prefer just ten, in which case maybe I go back to that number in the coming years.

I must emphasize - these are FEARLESS forecasts, where the goal is to for them each to be outside the box while still being plausible. Also, I made included fantasy-relevant content or insight in each one, ensuring there's something to them beyond just the fun/debate factor.

Here's where all of you come in - please vote in the poll to pick the forecasts (you can vote for more than one) you think will actually come true. And you should also go ahead and add your own forecasts as well in the thread.

One last note - as I said at the end of the column, this week marks the five year anniversary of my first ever column going live on DobberHockey (October 5, 2012 to be exact). It?s been a great journey, and I look forward to continuing to deliver content on the site and to remain active in the forums for years to come. Thanks to all of you for your readership.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: 15 Fearless Fantasy Forecasts for 2017-18 - Vote here and post your own!

You really don't like Radulov, do you? LOL. No way in hell is Sharp outproducing him unless injuries.

I did vote for 3; the rest seemed a little too fearless for my liking
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: 15 Fearless Fantasy Forecasts for 2017-18 - Vote here and post your own!

I can't see the poll on my phone but will vote later from my computer. Definitely a couple of those I can see happening.

I could see the one about the goalie games played. The Ehlers vs Schultz is pretty ballsy. I like it but I own both players so it's a little stressful to think about it happening haha.

I predict a sophomore slump for Werenski so I can see your AP prediction coming true.

I also believe that te Jets have the potential to score the most of any team in the league. Should be exciting to watch

Dobber Sports Icon

My main fearless forecast for the season isn't fantasy related but it's that the Leafs will miss the playoffs. Barely but I think they get edged out.

Honestly, it's probably the best thing that could happen to a young team like that, because they will come back hungrier next year and probably compete for the Cup. I just see one last season of disappointment in Leafs land for old times sake

Dobber Sports Titan

Voted for:
    50+ Defencemen
    Raanta
    Lucic
    Lee

I especially like Lee this year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

- Winnipeg Goal Scoring -- Yes. Side implication being someone will have to be there to cash in on all those assists, namely Scheifele, who's point total will probably at least maintain or even increase despite fewer goals

- Pietangelo outscoring Werenski -- Yes. Just initial observation suggests they're about even in scoring. Additional factors makes Pietrangelo scoring more probable

- Evander Kane -- Yes. Feel bad for saying it, but I also feel he's "that kind of player" in contract year. Not to mention he's pretty electric when healthy and motivated (also Eichel).

- Anders Lee -- I don't see it. He doesn't shoot enough (300 shots) to rack up 40 goals without shooting 20%.

- Radulov -- No Way.. B/c I own him in all my leagues.

Dobber Sports Superstar

It's a nice list. There's a couple I think have some more potential than others.
    - I can see Budaj starting more than Vasilevsky, I think this one has a decent chance of happening
    - I can see Lucic below 40 points. If he doesn't end up with McDavid enough, than ya, this happens.
    - I can see Kane outscoring Guentzel and Sheary.

Pietrangelo outscoring Werenski is a possibility too, but the 15 points is the though part. We're talking 55 vs 40 or 50 vs 35. I can see it happening, but it's tight. I do think Werenski steps back a bit this year.

Winnipeg leading the league in goals is an interesting one. They have loads of talent up top, but a lot of their top guys had very high S% last year which I don't think they can sustain. Given that, I don't think they pull it off and they'll end up close to where they were this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    My main fearless forecast for the season isn't fantasy related but it's that the Leafs will miss the playoffs. Barely but I think they get edged out.

Honestly, it's probably the best thing that could happen to a young team like that, because they will come back hungrier next year and probably compete for the Cup. I just see one last season of disappointment in Leafs land for old times sake
    I think that's a good one for a team like the Leafs, except for Babcock. I can't see him letting that happen.

The Great One

Interesting insight thus far, and the voting is not what I'd have expected. And 14 of the forecasts have at least three votes - now all I need is someone else to jump on the Sharp>Radulov train......
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Icon

My fearless forecasts for the 17/18 NHL season.

1) Ville Husso is the Blues starting goalie after the trade deadline. (I tried this last year but it was clearly a year early)
    2) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins finishes in the top 2 in scoring on the Oilers.
    3) The Penguins miss the playoffs.
    4) No team repeats a regular season division championship.
    5) No rookie gets 40 points. Charlie McAvoy leads all rookies in scoring with 39 points.
    6) A defenseman scores 30 goals...it is not Brent Burns.
    7) The first coach is fired before November 11th, 2017.
    8) A team finishes with a PP% greater than 30 for the first time since 1979.
    9) The Zucker-Koivu-Granlund line scores more goals and has a better combined +/- than last year. (They had 66 goals and were +84 last year)
    10) Swedish defensemen have 7 of the top 10 points per game among all defensemen.

Last Season's Results:

1) Yes - Oilers were much improved.
    2) Yes - Detroit missed playoffs
    3) No - Washington won the President's Trophy
    4) No - Zero 50 goal scorers
    5) Yes - McDavid led the league in points per game
    6) No - No dman scored 30 goals (I am trying this again this year!)
    7) No - Minnesota did not win the Central, Dubnyk did not finish top 3 in Vezina but 5 central division teams did make the playoffs
    8) 1/2 - Neither PK Subban nor Shea Weber were in the top 10 in scoring but McDonagh was not (he was 18th ahead of PK but tied with Weber)
    9) No - Husso was not the game 1 starter for the Blues
    10) Not sure - I am too lazy to count to see if there were more trades in June 2017 or the 48 hours before the trade deadline

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I voted for the Jets and for Alex Pietrangelo > Werenski.

Mine.

1) Debrincat and Kane combined point total >170
    2) Boeser leads the Canucks in scoring
    3) 6 Canadian Teams make playoffs. (Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto)
    4) Seguin and Benn combined point total >200
    5) ALL 4 of the final four teams from playoffs last year miss the playoffs - Ottawa (Karlsson injury - slow start) Pittsburgh (double cup hangover) Nashville (tight Western Conference) Anaheim (age and injuries)

Edit - I originally was going to say 3/4 cause but decided to go 4/4 and make it really bold. And I know #3 and #5 contradict each other... but I think both of these BOLD predictions are bold and there was no rule saying they were co-related
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

Great article and bold but plausible predictions.

I voted for:
    No Sharks Forward has 60- the downfall is coming IMO.
    15+ - 60-game goalies - good schedule, more settled creases around the league.
    E. Kane outpoints Guentzel and Sheary. Seems likely.
    I wanted to vote Anders Lee as I made a point of drafting him, hard to see it happening though, especially in the Metro div.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

The Great One

Wow - down 3-0 in the first period of the first game. Is it too late to say I actually meant that Winnipeg would GIVE UP the most goals this season?

Dobber Sports Master

15 dmen with 50 or more points, no particular order:

Karlsson, Burns, Hedman, Hamilton, Keith, Shultz, Barrie, Byfuglien, Pietrangelo, OEL, Shattenkirk, Subban, Josi, Carlson, Klefbom.

Couple long shots, but it could happen.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    15 dmen with 50 or more points, no particular order:

Karlsson, Burns, Hedman, Hamilton, Keith, Shultz, Barrie, Byfuglien, Pietrangelo, OEL, Shattenkirk, Subban, Josi, Carlson, Klefbom.

Couple long shots, but it could happen.
    If Barrie scores 50 he'll lead the team ! No Klingberg ?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hour View Post
    If Barrie scores 50 he'll lead the team ! No Klingberg ?
    No Letang or Ghost (47 to go)?