Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Tolvanen

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Tolvanen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Now's a good time to reevaluate his numbers.

It's not a 'hot start' anymore.

He's been doing it and you gotta give him props. Is he a top 7 prospect who hasn't played in the NHL yet? Has to be.
    7 seems a little arbitrary. I wouldn't say he is for sure on that list as there are certainly still holes in his game, but he is 100% in the conversation, and could be treated as one of those top 10 not in the NHL guys with no questions asked.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Stud Stud Stud Stud Stud

Dobber Sports Monster

How would you guys compare Tolvanen to Kaprizov? Pts wise.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Considering the current Nashville roster, does Tolvanen even figure to crack the top 6 next year?
    11 team keeper league with salary cap (points only)

MY TEAM (start 13F, 6D, 1G):
    FWDS: N. Kucherov, S. Stamkos, R. O’Reilly, J. Hughes, W. Karlsson, P. Kessel, B. Point, F. Vatrano, E. Pettersen, R. Rakell, C. Keller, N. Niederreiter, K. Labanc

DEF: J. Trouba, J. Morrissey, T. Krug, F. Hronek, S. Jones, D. Nurse
    GOALIE: A. Vasilevskiy
    BENCH: V. Mete, S. Niku, R. Andersson, T. Hirose, C. Glass, T. Jurco, C. McElhinney
    NOTES: We can only send players down if they get injured, otherwise they pass through waivers and we lose them for nothing + we have to pay half their cap.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Spinorama514 View Post
    Considering the current Nashville roster, does Tolvanen even figure to crack the top 6 next year?
    Nashville being Nashville, and Tolvanen being 18. I would think he's going to see at least a few games in the AHL. I know he played on the small ice prior to this season, but Nsh. doesn't bring prospects along very fast. They hold them longer than most teams. if he shows up and tears up the A - they'll find room. Cream to the top right?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with Luca. He's going to have to be damn impressive over here next year to get a shot, but Girard did get a cameo this year too, so it's not like Detroit of the past where guys wouldn't get a whiff of action until they were 23.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Spinorama514 View Post
    Only locks for top 6 next year are Johansen, Forsberg, Turris and Arvidsson. So there is a spot for him to grab if he merits it. Cream rises to the top and I would not go predicting when he cracks the NHL based on Nashville's history. Nashville has not had a prospect of his calibre for a long time.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    How would you guys compare Tolvanen to Kaprizov? Pts wise.
    In a vacuum, I think Kaprizov is the better player with slightly higher offensive upside. But Tolvanen's situation right now is much better, so I'm not sure the slight difference in upside is worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Only locks for top 6 next year are Johansen, Forsberg, Turris and Arvidsson. So there is a spot for him to grab if he merits it.
    I agree with this. Tolvanen can play both wings, and Arvidsson has a history of playing both wings as well. There's room if he's good enough in training camp and preseason.

Or maybe he signs with Nashville already this season once his KHL season is over - I believe KHL contracts end on May 1st, so he could sign an NHL contract on that date and join the Preds. Or earlier than that if his KHL team releases him from his contract after their season is over. Although he'll play a lot of hockey this season then because he'll play a full KHL season, Karjala Cup tournament, World Juniors, the Olympics, KHL playoffs (Jokerit can go far this season)... And if he doesn't sign with Nashville, he'll play at the World Championship tournament then.

The difficulty with KHL players is that there's no transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL, so once a prospect like Tolvanen signs an NHL contract, they can't loan him back to the KHL even if he wanted to go there. So often times they might not sign that NHL contract unless they're confident enough that they can make the NHL right away. No one wants to spend a lot of time in the AHL.

Corey Pronman‏ @coreypronman 53 minutes ago

With his 17th goal of the season today, Eeli Tolvanen (NSH) matched the U19 KHL record set by Evgeny Kuznetsov, in 2/3 as many games.
    #ProbablyNotVeryGood

#FellForAReason

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I agree with Luca. He's going to have to be damn impressive over here next year to get a shot, but Girard did get a cameo this year too, so it's not like Detroit of the past where guys wouldn't get a whiff of action until they were 23.
    if not for injuries - Ellis - does Girard get a sniff this year?

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    if not for injuries - Ellis - does Girard get a sniff this year?
    There is an interesting dichotomy to your question, because:

A) Likely no

but

B) he's obviously better than Weber, Bitteto, Irwin, and Emelin.

So he should have, but probably wouldn't have.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think one very important thing needs to be pointed out in this thread. I've been kicking around this site for two years now...

this is the first time I have witnessed full unequivocal agreement between Jouko-Pouko & Rataylor.

Can we sticky this as a watershed moment?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I think one very important thing needs to be pointed out in this thread. I've been kicking around this site for two years now...

this is the first time I have witnessed full unequivocal agreement between Jouko-Pouko & Rataylor.

Can we sticky this as a watershed moment?
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. The stars align sometimes

There's no reason why they both can't be right. Tolvanen could turn into one of those very polarizing one dimensional players a-la Phil Kessel. The kind of player to build a team around? Certainly not. But he can score, and in a supporting role alongside solid centres, he could thrive. That's kind of what I see here. It's not going to be black and white, now or in the future.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Tolvanen could turn into one of those very polarizing one dimensional players a-la Phil Kessel. The kind of player to build a team around? Certainly not. But he can score, and in a supporting role alongside solid centres, he could thrive. That's kind of what I see here. It's not going to be black and white, now or in the future.
    Yeah, it's not like the KHL is junior hockey, some consider it the second best league in the world, after the NHL of course. Obviously, the KHL is not the NHL, so he'll have to figure out how to do what he does against better, faster competition. I own him in one of my leagues and I can't wait to see if he can make the jump at the end of his KHL season or next year or if he heads to college like he planned...although that does seem unlikely with his recent success in the KHL.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Yeah, it's not like the KHL is junior hockey, some consider it the second best league in the world, after the NHL of course. Obviously, the KHL is not the NHL, so he'll have to figure out how to do what he does against better, faster competition. I own him in one of my leagues and I can't wait to see if he can make the jump at the end of his KHL season or next year or if he heads to college like he planned...although that does seem unlikely with his recent success in the KHL.
    After playing in the KHL he can't come back over and play college hockey. Lost his amateur eligibility.

I would compare Tolvanen to Laine and Kaprizov to that of a Keller. Pure shooter vs shooter with very good to great play making ability IMO.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill