Thread: Need to select 3 keepers

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Need to select 3 keepers

Hey guys (aka the handful of you that are active in this part of the forum); just wanted to thank you all for your help this past year. The knowledge shared here over the course of the season has allowed me to claim back-to-back titles in my keeper league (10-team H-2H, standard Yahoo cats).

I need to select my 3 keepers for next year as our format allows us to keep 3 players that were not drafted in the first 4 rounds for 1-year. We also have a franchise player who we can keep for 3 years (I have Arenado for 1 more year).

Let me know who you guys and gals would keep from my team below for next year (I just listed the guys that can be kept/worthy):

Schwarber
    Dozier
    J. Upton
    McCutchen
    C. Taylor

Strasburg
    A. Wood
    Bumgarner
    Kimbrel
    Osuna

I'm thinking All-In on pitching with the 3 SPs but a case can be made for Kimbrel and since pitchers are volatile from 1-year to another, maybe opt for a batter or 2 instead?

Any advice here is very appreciated!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Need to select 3 keepers

Tough one.

I think Strasburg and Bumgarner are ones I would definitely keep. I think Kimbrel should get some consideration but I hate the thought of keeping a RP. Even after the year Alex Wood just had, I am not sure I'd keep him in a limited keeper either. Upton or McCutchon are the two bats I like but hard to say if I'd do one of them either.

Sorry for the rambling, just me chewing on the keyboard.

I think I'd keep Alex Wood over Kimbrel or the batters and hope he can do it again.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think that's a great strategy. Strasburg, Bumg and Kimbrel. Can't say I trust Wood to have another year like this.

Dobber Sports Titan

Lets get the 2 easy ones out of the way. Stras and Bum-G.

I would explore moving one of those for a hitter maybe and then keep Kimbrel (1batter, 1SP, 1RP). But if you don't get a good deal going 2SP, 1RP i think is good for your situation. If you dont have quality starts as a category Kimbrel puts up starter stats really.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks for the advice gents! I too am not sold on Wood so I'm going to try to target a few teams that may have a weak 3rd keeper and see if I can do a Kimbrel+Wood for an upgrade on my end.

If not, the consensus seems to focus on Pitching so I'll flip a coin closer to my selection date and see who I keep between Wood and Kimbrel if ever I wasn't able to upgrade.

Rep'd you all; thanks again!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay