Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2017/18 DobberHockey Tiered Invitational: Draft Summary

The Wolverine

Default Re: 2017/18 DobberHockey Tiered Invitational: Draft Summary

Thanks, Peng, and good observations.

I was both surprised and not surprised to see Schenn go that high consistency. It might work out, but it's a lot of risk for a guy who managers expect to producing strongly offensively. I guess with the amount of hits he provides, it was worth the risk that he would get that boost. Now, if the PPP isn't as strong and he doesn't shoot more, then that could backfire a bit.

I was also surprised to see Bobrovsky and Dubnyk fall that much, especially as I value them similarly with Talbot and Murray. Bobrovsky I can understand the health and inconsistent season-to-season risk, but Dubnyk has been a top goalie for 2 1/2 years now. Sure, he struggled in the second half last year, so perhaps managers think he's due to fall back into the pack a bit. But given the categories, he's a workhorse on a good team, so he should get a high number of wins, a solid GAA and a good amount of saves. Maybe they think it'll drop a bit across the board, and that slides him down. Time will tell.

About your statistical recommendation, it would probably make it more accurate but having someone in the 250ish range be moved into the 270ish range doesn't make much of a difference to me, in the big picture. In other words, I'm not putting any more time into it haha.

About the standard deviations, you can do that.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Maybe the Campbell league is full of GMs previously burned by Mason or WPG goalies (I've been both)!

And with Schenn, it isn't surprising at all to seem him so high across the board as like Peng said, it only takes one GM to believe the hype on a reach, and chances are good that at least 1/12 GMs will believe that.

One thing that jumped out at me, you can really see the difference between the Expert/Pro leagues and the Entry leagues. The Entry leagues seemed to follow more closely the Yahoo! rankings, while the Expert/Pro leagues seem to have adjusted more for the specific stats. This is no more evident than in Brent Burns, going 2/1/2 in Expert/Pro, and then 3/8/5/8 in Entry. Not a huge gap, but it's significant for the 1st round.

Dobber Sports Ace

Here you go - I did the same as hf in Excel. Refer Columns W through AG in the Forwards tab. Same can be done (different columns of course) in the D and Goalies tabs.

NHL 2017-18 Fantasy Rankings - Publish.zip
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

Love your suggestion around bullet 5 (301 for undrafted players). That is exactly how I approach it as well - to reflect appropriate ADP. Would hate to see a player being selected in only 1 draft but get elevated position due to low average ADP.

I felt that Adams (the draft that I was in) reached for goalies and waited multiple rounds on forwards.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I felt that Adams (the draft that I was in) reached for goalies and waited multiple rounds on forwards.
    I am in Adams as well and I felt the same way. I was surprised to see even Allen go in the 2nd round. I personally felt that many D were taken later than I expected and forwards earlier like Carter or Skinner.
    12 teams H2H Keeper
    Keep 7 (1 each position, +2 any position but goalie)
    G A P PPP SOG FW HITS BLK PIM W GAA SV% SHO
    Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 4D 2U 2G 5B
    C: Mackinnon Matthews Thomas Bennett Pinto
    LW: Kaprizov Buchnevich (C) Fiala Drouin (C)
    RW: JT Miller (C) Barzal (C) Jarvis (C) Geekie (C)
    D: Fox Hamilton (IR) Nurse Faber Harley Manson Chabot
    G: Hellebuyck Rittich Ingram Lyon Andersen (IR)