The Great One

Default Re: Do the Habs even make the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Sorry IronSheik
    Wasn't he a pro wrestler?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Yeah I don't know who Big Ev is. I'm guessing a big homer for a particular team who was always defending them against unwarranted bashing?
    Yep.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

It's funny that 90% of the folks here who have a clear favourite team are as bad or worse that Ev was. That's funny. Sad part is that most haven't the slightest clue they share the exact same qualities.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as eric in thinking that what people are slowly coming to realize has been apparent at least since this summer. They do have an asset in Peice that can mask much of it though but I do think this is the season the big slide occurs.

And yes, I was being (massively)sarcastic in suggesting that Hemsky and Streit are more than enough to cover for Radulov and Markov. Those two guys were huge last year. Yes, even greybeard Markov was absolutely one of the better PPQBs in the league last year. Just look at his PPP ratio compared to other PPQB defenders in relation to their own teams PP success.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Care to back that up with some comparisons? Not sure how you figure to know that when we haven't even seen them play as a group yet.
    And they DO have Price so....you sort of have to consider him part of the team.
    LOL. So you're saying when you put a bunch of mediocre guys together, they magically turn into a great group of players? I'm sure that happens all the time. We don't need to see them all play together when we have seen all of them individually to know what level of players they are.

And yes, I DO happen to know Price is on that team. And as long as Price is healthy, they have a chance to get to the playoffs. But if Price goes down, you should start looking at the 2018 draft rankings because it won't be pretty without him.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    LOL. So you're saying when you put a bunch of mediocre guys together, they magically turn into a great group of players? I'm sure that happens all the time. We don't need to see them all play together when we have seen all of them individually to know what level of players they are.

And yes, I DO happen to know Price is on that team. And as long as Price is healthy, they have a chance to get to the playoffs. But if Price goes down, you should start looking at the 2018 draft rankings because it won't be pretty without him.
    Did you happen to note who played D for the Stanley Cup winners this past playoffs? Pretty average group of guys there eh? And I'd rather have Weber as my top D than Schultz any day.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

The Great One

As a follow-up...Here are players who took shifts at D for the Pens during the play-offs...
    Schultz
    Cole
    Daley
    Dumoulin
    Hainsey
    Maatta
    Ruhwhedel
    Streit

Going in I'm quite sure lots of folks would have labeled most of that that group as mediocre. Yet they won the cup. Hmmm...
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Wizard

As a follow-up...Here are players who took shifts at D for the Pens during the play-offs...
    Schultz
    Cole
    Daley
    Dumoulin
    Hainsey
    Maatta
    Ruhwhedel
    Streit

Going in I'm quite sure lots of folks would have labeled most of that that group as mediocre. Yet they won the cup. Hmmm...
    You're right but you know what Pittsburgh has? They have two elite centers. Montreal doesn't even have a single top line center. If you don't have elite centers, you need elite 'D'. If you don't have elite 'D', you need elite centers. Montreal has neither of those things, not even remotely close. Pittsburgh had probably the worst group of 'D' that has won a Cup but Montreal has at best the same level of blueline as they had, so all you need to do is add one Crosby and one Malkin and then maybe you can go somewhere. That shouldn't be too difficult to do, right?

Administrator

Pittsburgh is a really bad example considering they have two players among the best all-time, not to mention a bunch of other high-end players.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I believe they will make the playoffs but I think their 99.5 point line is way too high. I don't see how they're better than Tampa and Ottawa right now.

The Great One

The Pens have Crosby and Malkin and the Habs have Price - and he is certainly important to their playoff fate. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. Your assertion that their D is horrible is completely false. They have an NHL caliber D with several legit top 4 guys. So Alzner was a top 4 guy for last year's President's Cup team but isn't now that he's a Hab? For clarity's sake I'd enjoy seeing your rack and stack of all 30 NHL teams...or at least I'd enjoy seeing, using a three tier system, where all the teams in the NHL fall in order to show that the Canadiens are a bottom tier team. I feel your aspersions are based on the pre-season and an overly simple analysis of what is pretty complex thing.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Did you happen to note who played D for the Stanley Cup winners this past playoffs? Pretty average group of guys there eh? And I'd rather have Weber as my top D than Schultz any day.
    really? You're comparing the Habs to the two time cup champs?

I'll let Jouko and Daoust take it from here.

Habs fan with a Canucks avatar. Something is cross wired.

You're right but you know what Pittsburgh has? They have two elite centers. Montreal doesn't even have a single top line center. If you don't have elite centers, you need elite 'D'. If you don't have elite 'D', you need elite centers. Montreal has neither of those things, not even remotely close. Pittsburgh had probably the worst group of 'D' that has won a Cup but Montreal has at best the same level of blueline as they had, so all you need to do is add one Crosby and one Malkin and then maybe you can go somewhere. That shouldn't be too difficult to do, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Pittsburgh is a really bad example considering they have two players among the best all-time, not to mention a bunch of other high-end players.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Who?
    Sorry he meant iron shiek

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    really? You're comparing the Habs to the two time cup champs?

I'll let Jouko and Daoust take it from here.

Habs fan with a Canucks avatar. Something is cross wired.
    No - I was comparing the Habs D to the Pens D. The Habs lost to the Rangers in the first round. The Pens won the cup. No comparison there. I was simply trying to rebut the idea advanced that the Habs have horrible defense and that you can't win with mediocre D...but the Pens did that. With a much better F corps to be sure. Not comparisons made there.

I am not a Canucks fan but by far my favorite player ever to watch play the game was Pavel Bure. That's my avatar. My Father's side of the family comes from Quebec so I've been huge Habs fan from day one.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    Is Price enough though????
    Ny did it for a few seasons with little else but Henrik Lundquist, so its certainly possible. But its a sniff at the playoffs and an early exit at best

After an almost complete defensive makeover lets see where they sit come November before writing them off
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.