Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Dobber Entry - Patrick Division

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default 2017/18 Dobber Entry - Patrick Division

Welcome to the Dobber Entry Patrick!

This thread is created to enable managers (and even some non-managers) to chat about the league in general, the draft, teams and even smack talk.

The one request is that any league questions/issues remain on the league board.

A reminder of the settings:

Yahoo, One-year, Rotisserie
    Daily lineups, Weekly FAAB w/ Continual rolling list tiebreak
    No maximum moves/trades, Same day processing
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,SV
    4C,4L,4R,6D,2G,5BN,2IR,1IR+

The live draft is set for Wednesday, September 27th at 9pm Eastern.

Here is the draft order:
    1 - Youngblood
    2 - Fresno Firebirds
    3 - Oil City
    4 - nimmer's Team
    5 - Tom C's Team
    6 - T-Bone
    7 - Bryantville Bandits
    8 - Hamptons Howl
    9 - BillyHoyle'sHustlers
    10 - J
    11 - Hani's Groovy Team
    12 - OgieOgilthorpe
    13 - (dummycommishspot)

Draft results will be posted and I encourage managers to share their thoughts post-draft and throughout the season.

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Pengwin7; September 27, 2017 at 9:08 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: 2017/18 Dobber Entry - Patrick Division

Haven't been in Yahoo for a few years - looking forward to the draft!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Post reserved for rounds 01-12 of draft.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Post reserved for round 13-25 of draft.

Dobber Sports Icon

This will be my first full season competition against Dobberites. It will be interesting to see how much I know about fantasy hockey compared to these experts. Should make for a fun year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Finished my draft preparation for and created a 'draft manifesto' for this.

Did a couple mock drafts tonight and now I am all ready for tomorrow night. Bring it on gentleman!

And I am officially NOT taking offers for who I draft first overall.

The Wolverine

Hope you're all ready for the draft tonight! Good luck and have fun!

Dobber Sports Guru

It'd be nice if we could put in the first post who is what squad. I'm Tom C's team, for example.

Feeling under the weather, and have to do some work at home. Going to be a tough draft.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Penguin Hunter = Youngblood = UML Riverhawks = 1st Overall pick taking over (Who ditches out after receiving 1st overall pick)

Dobber Sports Icon

I am the Hamptons Howl in case you don't see my Avatar when you read my posts.

Looking forward to the draft although I am not sure how many of the picks I will be able to do while reading to my two children in bed as my wife has a b-ball game tonight. Hopefully the kids fall asleep early tonight...if not, go Auto-Pick!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Woohoo - Patrick Division draft underway with... a FULL draft room: 12/12.
    Great bunch of guys - should be a super competitive draft!!

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Woohoo - Patrick Division draft underway with... a FULL draft room: 12/12.
    Great bunch of guys - should be a super competitive draft!!
    Not my strategy going in, but I seem to be building from the back out. Five of my first six picks were either dmen or goalies.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

My strategy changed after the first round. That's for sure. And it didn't help that my internet kept kicking me out. Wow. That sucked. Only really got caught with it once close to my pick and had a decent queue lined up that saved my butt.

Draft Manifesto & Draft Analysis for 'Youngblood' in Patrick Division

Round 1 Well originally I was away for work when the Entry Division drafts were to be held. Then work postponed my trip and P7 advertised for an opening in the Patrick Division. And it comes with the 1st overall pick. I have never owned Crosby or Ovy (in his prime) and have never had 1st overall in any of my competitive leagues. So I decided I would take the opportunity to own one of the Elite of Elite talents for the first time and will draft Connor McDavid 1st overall (Barring any injury news)

Surprising absolutely no one... I drafted McDavid. Then I start hoping that this 1st overall pick does not turn out like my NFL $$$ first overall pick and get injured in the first game of the season. But really, there is not much need for any analysis here. It was McDavid or go home.

Round 2-3 Since I have first overall pick, all my remaining picks will be on the wheel...so I will prepare my manifesto by looking at the turn as a set of picks rather than two individual picks. Knowing that I will have McDavid (I really hope I am not jinxing an injury here) I plan on focusing on G,A, PPP, SOG early in the draft (trying to avoid players that will be on huge minus teams) and then shift my focus to hits later in the draft. I only plan on drafting a goalie if I feel it is a steal of a pick (just like QB in NFL fantasy). After the first 3 there are way too many that are similar in stats. So at this point I am targeting two stud D if the likes of Hedman or Buff make it to this pick. If not, then I am hoping some stud forwards fall to this pick.

Hedman and Buff both go earlier in the round, as well as 4 goalies. I am not interested in any other D at this point and do not have a steal of a pick for a goalie. Turn focus to forwards, of which 3 catch my eye... Tavares, Scheifele and Marchand. I already have 1 C in McDavid... I cannot afford to add two more C this early in the draft. Besides Tavares and Marchand shoot the puck alot more. I draft Tavares and Marchand and tell myself I cannot draft another C for a while.

Round 4-5 Maybe I can get a steal of a goalie here... likely not... I expect goalies to fly off the board in this draft... like most Roto drafts. Maybe Subban will be available here? If not maybe consider Hamilton... although I feel this is almost a round too early for him. Probably will end up drafting two Wingers here because I do not like the goalies or D available as 4th or 5th round talent. Simmonds (Would be great if he makes it) or Hoffman for his multi-cat coverage.

Subban goes a whole round earlier so strike him off my queue (lucky Yahoo does that for us) and then my eyes start to get big... not as many goalies are going and two have caught my eye. Do I take them both if they make it to me... No, I cannot. Then Rask goes two picks before me...my hopes diminish.. I fully expect the other goalie to be gone.. but no... Fresno takes Granlund and I jump all over Allen. For comparison sake... Allen was drafted 26th overall in Rocky Horror Roto Show and I just got him 48th overall (I took out the dummy-team picks) I am super excited about this pick... then my internet freezes as I am looking for my next player Oh-crap!! Turn to my phone and enter draft on my phone... check my queue... Hoffman is at the top of it... no time to compare to anyone else... take him knowing he is a mainstay on PP and shoots alot. When I get back on the computer I look and see that I am happy with this pick cause the next 8-10 guys drafted I was not as interested in as Hoffman.

Round 6-7 - Check in for a steal of a goalie again likely pass on goalie again... check in for a D just to see if there is value. Ideally I already have 2 top end D men... If there is no value on the back end or in net then back to the wingers. Target some high shooting wingers that contribute on the PP. Looking at hopefully Voracek slipping here or maybe take Schenn or Hall here if they are available.

Voracek is still available... Bounce back baby! I get so excited by this pick I start to search for other players even though Hall is on the top of my queue.. then I see Huberdeau.. I click and look at his stats from last year... Injury... 26 points in 31 games.. thats a great pace. Okay I will draft him. Immediately regret not taking Hall because he shoots more and I do not expect him to be a huge minus again this year.

Round 8-9 - Check for a goalie...likely decide to wait another set of rounds. Ideally I am at 1C, 3W, 3D at this point. Happy with this makeup ... 3 D that are point producers, I will leave the D alone until later in the draft and target some hits-heavy D later in the draft. So I will aim to add two more Wingers here. As Centre is a deep position and this league does not count FOW as a category...I would rather fill up the shallow positions of RW and LW. Targets - Arviddson, Toffoli, Saad.

Okay... my plan was to have 3 D-men by this time but right now I have none. Instead of 1C, 3W, 3D I have 1G, 2C, 4W. I still want to try and have 3 D that are decent point contributors. I look to see what is available. Only 1 guy even comes close to the value of an 8/9 round pick that is Giordano. I add him to my queue to give myself some extra time to decide who my other pick will be. I search some wingers and try to find a guy that contributes across the board. I see Palmieri and remember that I was dissappointed in not taking Hall a round early. I see this as an opportunity to cover all the skater categories and to hedge my mistake of not drafting Hall.

Round 10-11 Likely without a goalie... I feel the pressure to add one here. Hopefully others have left goalies alone for a while that there is some value starting to build again at the position. Might even take two at this turn. Targets - Elliot, Mason, Schneider If the right guys are available.. Draft my two goalies and be done with them until the end of the draft. Realistically I will only draft one goalie here and then look towards taking the best forward available. Targets here - Turris (I feel is good value here if he is 2C) Mackinnon, O'Reilly (are available in most mock drafts around this pick)

Okay so I already have a goalie and look and there is suprisingly some value available. More than I expected at this point. There are 3 or 4 goalies that I think people would likely draft before Elliot here... and since I already have a goalie I decide to leave them be. I look into D-men again... feeling pressure to add to my D. I find a rock in Suter and decide he is a great option as a point producing D-man this late in the draft. I look at try finding another D... none that I like at this value and turn my attention back to the forwards. Turris is still available, Mackinoon and O'Reilly went just before my picks. I do not want to draft Turris because a) I have Hoffman and b) I already have 2C. So i look back at wingers. I find a guy that hits a fair bit and still produces points... Kreider it is. Leaving me at 1G, 2D, 2C, 6W which is close to where I wanted to be (1 more D I less W would be ideal) but it is definitely not the path I thought I would take to get here.

Round 12 -15 - I plan on having 1G, 3D, 2C and 5W at this point in the draft. As I have mentioned already... I want 3 point producing D and then waiting on D for some guys later that are heavy-hitters and still get decent points. Therefore I plan on taking the best forward available for these four rounds. I am looking for well rounded category coverage from the forwards. Or I might combine one hitter with one point producer.

Round 12 - As my 12th pick is approaching I look at my team and overall I am happy with it. I start thinking what I can do to really help it and I decide that is to add another goalie. I invested a 4th round pick in Allen, so I should give him some help. I see some value in a couple of guys. I decide to go with Elliot. He was drafted in Rocky Horror Roto Show in the 9th round so I feel I found good value for a 2nd goalie. Not touching goalies again until the last couple round. I am surprised at how much value there has been for goalies and their draft position in this draft... a lot more value then most.

Round 13 - I decide I need another winger and I look to find one that doesn't stand out in any particular category but covers them all well. I land on Okposo. I know he is injury risk... but hopefully he produces well for me in the game she does play. Another comparison to Rocky Horror Roto Show ( I know I must have a great amount of respect for the guys in that league) Okposo was drafted in round 10 and here I get him 3 rounds later. Hope the guys in RHRS know their stuff

Round 14 & 15 - Time to add some more D. I add two guys that do a bit of everything. >100 hits each > 150 shots each... Muzzin had a low point total last year... but I am hoping that he gets back to 40 points with a new bench boss that isn't Daryl.... and Niskanen... any D that plays a decent amount in Washington is going to get points. I expect him to match his 39 points from last year. After these two picks I am happy that I did not take D men in early round because I got this great value late in the draft!

Round 16-23 Hoping to have my LW and RW filled at this time in the draft and only need to fill out my C, D, 2nd goalie and bench spots. (Being at 3D, 1G, 4LW, 4RW, 3C) But it is anyone's guess at where I will be at this point in the draft. So it would be awesome if things go according to my plan... but I am fully prepared that I am filling in different holes than I expect at this point.

I am quite close to where I aimed to be at this time in the draft. I have one more D and one more goalie then I expected, and I am short a C and RW... which is easy to make up later in the draft since I am happy with the 2G and 4D I have and where I got them.

Round 16 - Nikita Zaitsev. My computer was acting up on me again and I knew I needed to add some more Hits ont he back end without giving up too much in points. I had a queue of a few D men and when I got logged in my phone he was at the top.

Round 17 - Mikael Backlund - I missed out on him in the RHRS so when it was getting this late in the draft I had him on my queue and with the computer problems

Round 18 - Patrick Eaves - PPP guy, that might play with Getz all year and throws his body around.

Round 19 - Derek Stepan - #1 Centre for the Arizona Coyotes, an up and coming team... Temek took this guy in round 13 of RHRS but this league doesn't count FOW...

Round 20 - Damon Severson - I expect New Jersey to not give up as much and to score a decent amount. PP QB for a PP that includes Taylor Hall and Nico Hischier... and he does hit a bit...80 hits last year. I know I said I wanted heavy-hitting options late... but I didn't want to sacrifice too much in points. So instead of 150 hits and 10 points I targeted 80 hits and 30 points. Trade bait for a team that has lots of hits and needs points later in season.

Round 21 - David Perron - Needed some hits from a RW... Vegas is not going to be a puck possession leading team.. meaning they won't have the puck a lot... meaning they will need to hit a lot to get the puck...and I expect this guy to be the net presence on what I expect to be a decent PP unit.

Round 22- Teuvo Teravainen - Looking for a 3rd year breakout from this guy... had 42 points and 15 PPP last year... can he build on that on an improving Carolina team?? I think so!

Round 23 - Craig Smith - 90 hits
    , 150 shots hopefully he can get back to his 40 point range... If not I drop him for someone who hits more. Low risk, low reward pick here.

Round 24-25
    Take a couple goalies that will help me meet the max games played from goalies. It is always hard to hit the max games played with goalies with good goalies if you do not draft him. Depending on what my first two goalies look like I will target goalies that will help win the categories I feel I am strong in. Targets - Ward or Markstrom for Saves Grubauer, Saros for wins and GAA.

I am surprised at what awesome value is left at the end of this draft for goalies. Backups on top teams that should get a decent amount of wins for their teams (Grubauer, Hutton, Niemi) Or goalies that could get a decent # of starts based on who the goalie is in front of them (Ward, Lack, Markstrom, Nillson, Neuveirth). Note - Saros was drafted in round 20. Surprised he went and Grubauer had't.

I thought I could be strategic and take the two backups for my two previous goalies to maximize starts...Neuveurth and Hutton.... But how could I pass up on Grubauer... he will have a chance to win every game he plays and he had great peripherals last year. And then I decided to go with Hutton for similar reason! Better team, with a chance to win lots and put up good peripheral stats. Grubauer went it round 16 in RHRS so I feel that was a steal and Hutton was a strategic pick because I have Allen as my top G.

Overall - My team should be very competitive and neat the top in G,A,PPP, SOG. I expect to be in the middle of the pack in both +/- and hits. As for goalie stats... I feel like my foursome should be near the top in GAA, middle of the pack in Wins and in the bottom third of the league in saves.

My favourite pick - McDavid.... how could it not be my favourite pick... I have never owned him or Crosby in a leage (except PQMC where i traded Crosby before he played any games for me)
    ​My disappointment pick - taking Huberdeau overall Hall in round 7.
    My best value pick - Stepan in round 19
    My he could really surprise me pick - Teravainen. I didn't draft any rookies and I tried not to take any big risks because I have McDavid so I should be able to maintain a low risk draft and be near the top. Teravainen could have a breakout season being it his third full season in the league and 2nd full season in CArolina. Here's hoping.