Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2017/18 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

We need more illustrated penguin analogies around here! It also helps to keep an eye on penguins 1-9
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    We need more illustrated penguin analogies around here! It also helps to keep an eye on penguins 1-9
    I don't pay attention to the majority of penguins (those in the draft middle, other end).
    I use that time for making chit-chat... throwing thoughts in minds to throw people off.
    If you put enough chat in the Yahoo draft window, the picks disappear.
    I'm not just a drafter, I'm a psychyououtologist.

You got zag when they zig.
    Make them wonder if they doin' it right.

Ground Penguins: Why dat Peng not drafting any goalies yet? What's he know up there?
    Rock Penguin (thinking): Damn it, where did I put my keys?

Oops, ps. Realization: I'm not in this league. D'oh.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

All these Penguins hanging around this thread.... please give me the go ahead guys... I am locked and loaded....

But in seriousness good luck tonight everyone... I look forward to see the results!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm preparing now and have my 2 most important draft tools at the ready.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

long wait until it starts, hopefully the beer stop tasting so good

Dobber Sports Icon

I'll be watching this one closely boys. I plan to be competing in this league next year

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jeez that was tough. Those 1min pick limits screw you if you haven't done your homework. Overall, I rate my drafting a C+ (team: Beavers).

Still unfortunate I wasted #13 overall on byfuglien with the accidental click, when I wanted Seguin, but I think I recovered with a strong first 10 rounds overall.

I started to really scramble in the mid to late rounds, as I didn't do myhomework and the time limit was tight. Also missed out on a goalie run, which burned me a bit.

We'll see... I'm not expecting much. I'll just hope to squeeze in around the top half at season's end... That's the goal.

The Wolverine

I'd like to thank Eskimo Brother for helping me out last night. I feel he did a good job with my squad overall, and I look forward to managing it. Here it is:

C: Bergeron, Turris, Hanzal, Rask
    L: JVR, Sheary, Burakovsky, Johansson, S. Bennett
    R: P. Kane, Wheeler, Hornqvist, Dadonov, Lablanc
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Klefbom, Giordano, Phaneuf, Stralman, Morrissey
    G: Jones, Raanta, Elliott, Niemi

Let the games begin!

The Wolverine

Draft results added on first post.

I was drafting from #4 slot which is okay as at least it gives me an okay shot on getting Burns. I would have preferred to be somewhere around 7-9 though which would place me in better place for the early rounds to get players I like. I had a rough pre-draft plan based on players that I thought would be available in good spots which suggested I'd have 2G, 0-1C, 4-6W, 2-4D after the first 10 rounds. I didn't like centers where I would have to draft them as usual and the first center I could probably reasonably expect to available in a good spot would likely be Trocheck around R10-12 with an outside chance of Bergeron, Getzlaf or Carter slipping a bit later than I expected. I would have preferred to get one Top5 goalie early on with another solid starter somewhere in R4-8, but I decided I would be willing to be a bit greedy with goalies. If 1-2 specific targets were gone, I would go with best skater and wait on goalies to be available on better spots. Absolute worst goalie duo I'd accept would be Smith-Darling who I thought would be available around R7-10, but that wasn't really preferred plan at all.

1. (4) Alex Ovechkin (Was - LW)

I wanted Burns, but Ovechkin would be fine too. I didn't particularly want McDavid or Crosby, but I guess I'd have to take them if they were available. Burns goes 2nd so I end up with Ovechkin as was probably the most likely scenario anyway.

2. (21) Kris Letang (Pit - D)

I was hoping to get a Top5 goalie here with Dubnyk being the most likely to be available with Price, Holtby, Murray and Talbot having pretty long odds. All 5 were gone though and Karlsson and Seguin too who I thought might have a very small chance of being there. I did think about Quick too, but decided to go with best skater available in Letang.

3. (28) David Pastrnak (Bos - RW)

Quick went so that option was gone, but I probably would have passed on him anyway and taken a risk on him/other solid goalie falling to a later pick. Pastrnak was Top15 player on my list so very happy to get him here.

4. (45) Jake Allen (StL - G)

There was a pretty heavy goalie run in the 4th round and the teams picking between my next 2 picks would likely take a few more. So I felt I had to take a goalie here if I didn't want to end up with a pretty risky Darling-Smith duo on the backend. Two highly ranked skaters in Simmonds and Ristolainen were available too, but I decided to not take more risks with my goaltending and take the last Top12 ranked goalie on my list in Allen.

5. (52) Filip Forsberg (Nsh - LW)

Even when doing pre-draft planning it looked like I might not have good targets in R5-6 with Simmonds and Ristolainen the only two I really liked and those two were quite likely to be gone. For a brief moment it looked like I might get one of them, but of course they go B2B just before my pick and I was left scrambling a bit with no good targets available. The highest ranked skaters on my list in Hall, Krug, Werenski and Gostishebere would very likely be available later so I looked into some other players. In the end I ended up deciding to go with Forsberg over Bergeron although having 2LW with a plan to go with Hall soon was not ideal.

6. (69) Taylor Hall (NJ - LW)

Best goalies available were Smith and Darling and I was pretty sure I could wait on them until R8, maybe 9 or 10. I probably could have waited on Hall a round more or maybe even two, but he was the highest ranked skater available on my list and I decided I'd go wih Hall and two out of Krug, Gostisbehere, Werenski with my next 3 picks. If Darling or Smith goes , I'd have to take the remaining one though. Picking Hall meant I had 3 LW already though so I might have to skip on some good LWs likely available in R10-15, but not much can be done about that at this point.

7. (76) Zach Werenski (Cls - D)

All 3 Ds were still available and I decided to go with Werenski even though the other two were slightly higher ranked on my list. I thought Krug and Gostisbehere were more likely to be available with my next pick so I pick Werenski.

8. (93) Torey Krug (Bos - D)

Gostisbehere was picked, but Krug was still available and both Darling and Smith were still available as well so back to picking D it is.

9. (100) Scott Darling (Car - G)

I was thinking I might be able to wait one round more, but Beavers, who was drafting from #12 slot, didn't have any goalies and would have 2 picks between my R9 and R10 picks so I decided not to risk it anymore. Darling was the 20th G off the board and I had him ranked as the 13th G on my list so fairly happy to get him at this pick. Both STL and CAR are pretty solid at limiting shots against though so I'd have probably patch up my SVS cat later.

10. (117) Alexander Radulov (Dal - RW)

Smith went fairly soon after my Darling pick so I was happy I didn't risk my goaltending any longer than that. I was planning on getting my first center Trocheck here, but he went few picks earlier so had change my plans. I have 3LW already so it was pretty much between RW and D at this point. Highest ranked D on my list in Muzzin would still likely be available few rounds later so I decided to with RW. Aho was slightly higher ranked than Radulov, but I thought Aho was more likely to slide to my next pick so went with Radulov.

11. (124) Sebastian Aho (Car - LW,RW)

Aho was available so went with him which means my team has 3LW, 3RW at this point so the next few picks would likely be C, D or G. My goaltending is a bit risky so getting 3rd starter like Raanta would lessen the risk somewhat and decided I'd take Raanta with my next pick if he was available.

12. (141) Jake Muzzin (LA - D)

Raanta was gone so back to C or D with a plan to get Saros soon as well to patch my goaltending a little bit and probably another good backup like Grubauer/Dell/etc later as well. Stepan who was the highest ranked C available would likely last longer so I went with the highest ranked D available in Muzzin.

13. (148) Derek Stepan (Ari - C)

I kind of had to get C at this point so decided to not wait on Stepan any longer. He might have lasted few rounds longer, but there was really no good other C options available either.

14. (165) Juuse Saros (Nsh - G)

It seems like I might end up with Saros on most if not all of my 1-year leagues. I much prefer getting 2-3 top tier backups instead of getting a poor 3rd starter to reach 164 GP and Saros/Grubauer are the two I am mostly looking to pick up, with other 2-5 secondary options as well. I am not particularly high on Rinne either even if he played really well late last season and in the playoffs and I think there's some chance of Saros at least forcing platoon situation.

15. (172) Ryan O'Reilly (Buf - C)

I was somewhat surprised that O'Reilly was available this late, but happy to get him at this point of the draft to fill up my lacking C corps. I did consider taking Grubauer too, but decided there are other okay backups available if he goes.

16. (189) Jordan Staal (Car - C)

Grubauer went earlier so it's back to C with J.Staal. I needed hits as well at this point so he's a solid contributor there too which is nice.

17. (196) Travis Konecny (Phi - C,LW)

Konecny is another player I seem up ending up with in a lot of 1-year leagues. I think Konecny has some multicat upside too especially if he gets into PHI 1st PP unit.

18. (213) Jeff Petry (Mon - D)

I needed hits and Petry is a pretty solid contributor there while still producing solid numbers in other categories. He should also get at least regular 2nd PP unit time in MTL with Markov out of the picture.

19. (220) Aaron Dell (SJ - G)

I wanted another quality backup so Dell seemed like a solid choice. He did really well last season in a limited role so he might even force platoon situation if Jones starts struggling.

20. (237) Timo Meier (SJ - LW,RW)

Meier is another late upside pick I like, especially if you have SOG and Hits as categories. He didn't score much in his NHL stint last season, but his shot rates were very good and he also produced a good amount of hits. Seems like he should be safe bet to get at least 3rd line time with 2nd PP unit role, but has upside for more.

21. (244) Derick Brassard (Ott - C)
    22. (261) Darnell Nurse (Edm - D)
    23. (268) Kevin Fiala (Nsh - LW,RW)
    24. (285) Thomas Chabot (Ott - D)
    25. (292) Alex DeBrincat (Chi - RW)

I typically use lot of my bench round picks on high upside longshots. Realistically most of your bottom 3-5 players likely aren't in your roster by the quartermark of the season so there really isn't much reason to not use these picks on high upside longshots once you fill out your starting roster. I needed another C so took Brassard, and wanted D with hits so Nurse was a good fit. Nurse isn't much of a scorer, but he produced good numbers in SOG and Hits and there's also some hope of upside for more as he was pretty good scorer in juniors. Fiala looks like he will get shot at Top6 role in NSH as well and has some multicat upside too decided to take him. Chabot and DeBrincat round ot the longshot picks with chance of pretty high upside even if it's pretty unlikely. Lot of these guys will likely be dropped fairly soon though so no reason to dwell too much on them.

Last Resort

C Stepan, O'Reilly, J.Staal, Brassard
    LW Ovechkin, Forsberg, Hall, Konecny
    RW Pastrnak, Radulov, Aho, Meier
    D Letang, Werenski, Krug, Muzzin, Petry, Nurse
    G Allen, Darling
    BN Saros, Dell, Fiala, Chabot, DeBrincat

Team is pretty light on C as is pretty typical for my teams and strong on wings and defense. Goaltending is a little more risky than I would have preferred, but at least I got two high end backups to mitigate the risk a little bit. 3rd starter with upside like Raanta would have been preferred though. Team should do pretty well across the board in skater categories and should be competitive in W and GAA, but SVS could be a bit of a problem. All in all fairly happy as I managed to get a lot of players I wanted in spots I planned on so I'd say I'd give myself B+ as a draft mark.

EDIT: removed the faulty projections from here and posted the new fixed version in a later post in the thread.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post

Projected Standings

Team Skater pts Goalie pts Total pts
    Last Resort 76 25 91
    ***Coming Soon*** 49 33 71
    Lord of the Rinks 52 24 67
    Horrorfan TBD 47 22 62
    Maroons 52 11 61
    Yellow Dogs 47 20 59
    The Comish 40 19 54
    Beavers 43 16 53
    The Eh Team 37 27 52
    Mario's Team 37 17 50
    Mark's Team 34 14 45
    The Jobbers 32 6 37
    Some of the totals look off. But I'm not sure if it's the sub-totals or the final totals.

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    Some of the totals look off. But I'm not sure if it's the sub-totals or the final totals.
    Thanks, should be fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post
    Thanks, should be fixed now.
    I think either you, or I , need another cup of coffee!!! Still don't seem correct to me either LOL

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Johner View Post
    I think either you, or I , need another cup of coffee!!! Still don't seem correct to me either LOL
    Look at his message, not the quoted. You need the coffee.