Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL survivor pool

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: NFL survivor pool

Ya, looking back it would have been smart to take the Rams, less so the Bills, but them too. Get two crappy teams off the board.

Pitt was a risky pick being a road team, but I figured you couldn't lose to the Browns! Almost did though.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Ya, looking back it would have been smart to take the Rams, less so the Bills, but them too. Get two crappy teams off the board.

Pitt was a risky pick being a road team, but I figured you couldn't lose to the Browns! Almost did though.
    I once followed this strategy... then I realized there are only 17 weeks in an NFL season and you never have to pick crappy teams... you can pick good teams all year round if you pick when good teams play the crappy teams.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I once followed this strategy... then I realized there are only 17 weeks in an NFL season and you never have to pick crappy teams... you can pick good teams all year round if you pick when good teams play the crappy teams.
    Yes, I did think about that as well, which is why I ultimately took the Steelers. Only problem with that theory is once you get into the later weeks and you run into situations where the good teams are playing each other. Doesn't quite work out all nice and easy as one might think, and I feel this week was actually a good one to squeeze in a Bills or Rams pick. But even with that, football tends to be so all over the place, especially with week one, so you want to go after more of a sure thing. Arghhh! I'm going in Circles!

Dobber Sports Titan

First time doing this, and I didn't want to be out the first week. Had a bad feeling about NE, and I figured Cleveland could surprise, so I went with Atlanta. We'll see how it goes down the line though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Yes, I did think about that as well, which is why I ultimately took the Steelers. Only problem with that theory is once you get into the later weeks and you run into situations where the good teams are playing each other. Doesn't quite work out all nice and easy as one might think, and I feel this week was actually a good one to squeeze in a Bills or Rams pick. But even with that, football tends to be so all over the place, especially with week one, so you want to go after more of a sure thing. Arghhh! I'm going in Circles!
    I try and map out the season ahead and pick all the matchups were a top team is playing a bottom team...and use it as a guideline. I pretty much mapped out every team that played against the Browns, Jets, 49ers and Bears and tried to pick the top end teams against them and I feel I have a very solid road map for weeks 1 -17... but it will likely get changed when a mid-tier team (lets say Miami for example plays worse then I expect... so the week I picked Miami to play a bottom team I will change it to someone else.)

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm taking it week to week. No point looking ahead to week 15 if I don't make it past week 2
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm taking it week to week. No point looking ahead to week 15 if I don't make it past week 2
    Sad I missed this...but this is always my approach too. Let other people take risks early. I run a pool with 130 people and 30 are out already. Love it

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Sad I missed this...but this is always my approach too. Let other people take risks early. I run a pool with 130 people and 30 are out already. Love it
    Did 29 of them take NE?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There are not 17 good teams in the NFL. Over the course of the season, you're going to be picking some games with not a lot of confidence in the outcome. And the Rams were a stone lock this week lol. I had more confidence in the Rams winning than any other outcome this weekend.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    There are not 17 good teams in the NFL. Over the course of the season, you're going to be picking some games with not a lot of confidence in the outcome. And the Rams were a stone lock this week lol. I had more confidence in the Rams winning than any other outcome this weekend.
    And it was a very good call.
    I honestly don't follow football enough to have that much confidence in a middle team over a bottom team. That's why I'm just going simple for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    The way I see it is it is not for any money. Therefore I want to try and go perfect!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

The way I see it is it is not for any money. Therefore I want to try and go perfect!
    Fair way to look at it, and for someone knowing more than I do it makes sense. Being a little more limited myself, I think it makes sense to not take away from the current week by looking ahead.

Dobber Sports Guru

My gut feeling is that with only 11 people in this pool, it probably won't get to week 7 or 8.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    My gut feeling is that with only 11 people in this pool, it probably won't get to week 7 or 8.
    Challenge accepted.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'll take the over 8. Then again, I've never done one of these pools before.