Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Crypto Currency

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Crypto Currency

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    As if crypto gambling is any different from stock picking. You see these stock market guys poo pooing crypto, and meanwhile most of them are throwing darts as well. It's hilarious.
    I'm not a stock picker either, but it is fundamentally different. Companies at least have measurable value (if nothing else, they own computers, trucks, toilets, etc). Cryptocurrencies do not.

That said, stocks are essentially just a crap shoot as well.
    TEAM 1

16 teams, keep 5, Yahoo H2H

(G)(A)(+/-)(PIM)(PPP)(SHP)(HIT)(BLK)
    (W)(GAA)(SV%)(SHO)

C,C,RW,RW,LW,LW,D,D,D,D,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,IR

The One

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I'm not a stock picker either, but it is fundamentally different. Companies at least have measurable value (if nothing else, they own computers, trucks, toilets, etc). Cryptocurrencies do not.

But that's just it. For as much as it is different, it's basically gambling for nearly everyone engaged in it. Unless they are index investing. I just find it hilarious how most of the people I hear who have been ranting to me about tulips, roulette wheels, and slot machines, are basically engaged in the same process themselves, but doing it with their retirement money.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post

This is true to an extent.
    It depends on the stocks being considered.
    If someone had 10k to play with 8 years ago, and they decided to put it into Bitcoin instead of RBC shares, that would be choosing gambling over investing. Ironically, they would have had a much better return too, especially if they cashed out before the recent crypto carnage.

If, on the other hand, they chose to put that 10k into a junior gold exploration company instead of RBC, that would also be gambling. Just as if they had bought Bitcoin.

But if you're choosing between RBC and a similar company, both with a proven track record of growing income and paying dividends to shareholders... this is investing not gambling.
    The difference is subtle, but I'd say one HOPES to make a large profit when gambling, whereas they reasonably EXPECT to make a decent profit when they invest.

Dobber Sports Ace

The more I watch and learn the more I think the following:

Crypto - great place for traders, experienced traders who can read charts
    Vanilla stocks - where investors should stay.

I too put some dollars into crypto but as an investor i?m totally out of control because i can?t read charts and can?t even look at a website to see what i actually invested in on a measurable level.

Enjoying the cannabis stocks these days; there is news, buyouts, mergers, and eventually financials and all that good old stuff to help me make decisions.

Dobber Sports Star

For anyone interested and may not have heard... A blockchain ETF was recently launched a few days ago. It might be a good way to get some immediate diversified exposure to this technology. It's called HBLK on the TSX.

The Magnificent One

Did not see that.

I'll have to do some digging to see which companies are in this.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Did not see that.

I'll have to do some digging to see which companies are in this.

Thanks
    They finally listed them ... I've been waiting patiently.
    http://harvestportfolios.com/etf/blo...ies-etf/#tab-4

Dobber Sports Star

Seems like that dip a few weeks ago turned out to be a good buying opportunity. Nice call Mr. Guru.

I can't remember if I posted this earlier or not - I may have forgotten - but if you want some quality youtube content on crypto (believe me, for every 1 solid channel, there are 10 terrible ones), check out Doug Polk crypto. He's a professional poker player (and "crypto enthusiast") and a very, very sharp guy.
    His videos are terrific - informative and funny.
    The thing I like best about him is that he takes his ethical obligation to the viewer very seriously, unlike some of those bitconnect pump and dumpers who made 6 figures selling that obvious ponzi scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4s...ayyghbhiPon4uw