Thread: Roto Keeper Help needed - will REP

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Roto Keeper Help needed - will REP

10-team Roto league, Keep-8, positional keepers spots: C, LW, RW, D, UTILx2, G, Rookie (Calder eligible the previous season)
    5-year keeper, best combined ranking at the end of 5 years wins, year 2of5
    I came 2nd year#1, drafting 9th, non-snake

Roster: Cx3, LWx3, RWx3, Dx5, Util, G, BNx6, IRx2 (games played limits of 82 per non-bench roster spot)
    Categories: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK | W, GAA, SV

My Roster, my keepers in bold:
    Jamie Benn (LW)
    Wayne Simmonds (RW)
    Pastrnak (RW) - UTIL

Ehlers (LW)
    Guentzel (C/LW) - C
    Toews (C)
    Dubinsky (C)
    Boeser (RW)
    Vorachek (RW)
    Schwartz (LW)
    O'Reilly (C)
    Weber (D) - Util
    Letang (D)

Shattenkirk (D)
    Gudas (D)

Murray (G) - Rookie
    Crawford (G)
    Quick (G)
    Darling (G)
    Halak (G)

I could also keep Guentzel as my rookie, Murray as my goalie, and Toews/Dubinsky/ROR as my center. I don't particularly want to waste a keeper spot on those guys though.

I also have an opportunity to trade Ehlers & my 2nd for Pavelski, who could act as my C, but I really feel like I'm losing too much value there when I am in a unique position to keep 2 top-10 goalies. No other team will be able to keep 2. I expect Ehlers to be drafted in the 1st round.

The league is very shallow on D-men and I will be trying to snag top roto D the first few rounds. I can't make the trade work for less than my 2nd, and I feel like I am going to lose alot of value as Pavelski slows down over the remaining years of this league.

Thoughts/ suggestions?
    All opinions welcome - will REP

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Roto Keeper Help needed - will REP

Although I'm a huge fan of Pavelski and he's great in your league, I think you are correct in saying that his stock will drop in the next few years. I love the idea of keeping two goalies. You'll have a huge advantage to start the season and can always use one as trade bait if you feel your forwards are struggling.

None of Toews, ROR, or Dubinksy are better than your correct choices for keepers.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Agreed on Pavelski. Even at his age now (33) I'm surprised he's still putting up points while throwing 100+ hits a year. He's bounds to start regressing and theres a good chance it will be next year or the year after.

Ehlers would be a solid keep, but I'm not sure who you would lose rather than him, so I'd say stick with what you have.

Dobber Sports Sage

I would think about keeping Ehlers and drafting a #2 G in the first round. You are dropping Crawford and he is pretty close to Quick anyway, I assume a situation is feasible where you could get one or either of them with your first round pick?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I would think about keeping Ehlers and drafting a #2 G in the first round. You are dropping Crawford and he is pretty close to Quick anyway, I assume a situation is feasible where you could get one or either of them with your first round pick?
    Ehlers isn't an option, which has been my biggest issue. I REALLY wanted to keep him.
    I would have to use my LW keeper spot (Benn) or one of my Utils (Pasta + a dman). And with 5 D roster spots I would be crippling myself to only keep one dman. Identifying there value early is what has given me a nice start in this league.

The first round will likely be 5+ dmen drafted, and likely Ehlers in there too.

Dobber Sports Icon

I think your strategy is spot on, and I would keep Quick (or Crawford) as a 2nd goalie. Only hesitation I have is Ehlers, I'd keep him over Pasternak in that 2nd utility spot, I think he in the end will be the better fantasy producer. Plus I'd bet Pasternak has more trade value than Ehlers right now, you might get a better offer than that crappy Pavelski offer for him.