Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Virus Protection

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Virus Protection

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Here's a video showing it. It's from 2016 version but it's not that different in 2017. https://youtu.be/9Znw1mUgcrI
    Thanks!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Not sure if you made your mind up yet but I went through the same process because I had to get a new laptop for school and make sure it was protected since it is a Windows system.

Ultimately, I ended up going with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and its been great for me so far. They had a great deal when I signed up in August for a year ($19.99). I chose Bitdefender over Webroot in the end. I believe Webroot has a special right now for the a yearly membership that you might want to look at.

Best of luck with the search!
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

The Magnificent One

Not sure if anyone has a Mac, but for the one in my house we've done well with Avast
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Star

Interestingly, Best Buy has stopped selling Kaspersky amid growing concern (Hysteria?), that Kasersky Labs could be tied to the Russian Government...

https://www.pcmag.com/news/356148/be...pying-concerns

Rylant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

go to free solution that should fix most common issues:

malwarebytes
    hitman pro/avast
    ccleaner

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    go to free solution that should fix most common issues:

malwarebytes
    hitman pro/avast
    ccleaner
    Ya unfortunately, I am the kind of person who just can’t do that. Even if the benefits of a paid anti virus is only very slight, I am the person who just feels safer with it. It puts me at ease, which is worth the money I spend on it. Also, if I ever did get a virus while using one of the free pieces of software out there, the cynic in me would place the blame squarely on the fact that I wasn’t paying for it. For me, it’s one of those things where it’s better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it. It’s 20 dollars well spent to me.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Ya unfortunately, I am the kind of person who just can’t do that. Even if the benefits of a paid anti virus is only very slight, I am the person who just feels safer with it. It puts me at ease, which is worth the money I spend on it. Also, if I ever did get a virus while using one of the free pieces of software out there, the cynic in me would place the blame squarely on the fact that I wasn’t paying for it. For me, it’s one of those things where it’s better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it. It’s 20 dollars well spent to me.

Rylant
    I get this, but I think it really just comes down to whether or not you're willing to put up with the occasional up-sell. I don't think the service with the paid options is much higher (is it? I could be wrong). The free stuff seems to me to be free because every once in a while a little notification pops up the corner about how I should pay for the paid version. Is the paid version reaaallllyyy better, or would I just be paying for the notifications to stop?

Dobber Sports Master

I think you are just paying for the notifications to stop. Any anti virus would be stupid to produce a free version that doesn't actually protect you. Why would you trust the pay version if the free version doesn't work? It would be a business killer.

I was on AVG for a long time. I'm an application manager at my work and my friend who is the infrastructure manager recommended Avast. I went with it and my only complaint is that it is overly obtrusive with the upsell. I dont even remember getting any upsell with AVG. My friend said that I would be better protected with Avast, so i went with his recommendation. I most definitely do notice it in my PC experience than AVG though. AVG was totally in the background. Avast gives me popups everyday, sometimes multiples a day.

Never had a virus problem with either though. Both seem like solid products.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I get this, but I think it really just comes down to whether or not you're willing to put up with the occasional up-sell. I don't think the service with the paid options is much higher (is it? I could be wrong). The free stuff seems to me to be free because every once in a while a little notification pops up the corner about how I should pay for the paid version. Is the paid version reaaallllyyy better, or would I just be paying for the notifications to stop?
    I guess the idea of what might be “reaaalllyyy better” comes down to what’s important to you. The differences, other than pop up advertising and up sell attempts, between paid vs free, are significant as far as I am concerned. Free protection tends to not score as well as paid protection. Free protection tends to not offer 24 hour support. Free protection tends to not have additional firewall support. Paid protection allows the analysis of unknown threats in an isolated environment, which is called sandboxing. The suspect sample is analyzed in a safe environment and the AV can detect malicious behaviour based on the sample’s reactions. Maybe most importantly, paid AV tends to protect versus ransomware, which the FBI suggests caused over a billion dollars in damages last year.

To me, the added level of security and peace of mind, are well worth it.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Rylant
    I often wonder why people are so concerned with security. What I mean by that is what do you have on your PC that is so vulnerable? If we are talking strictly virus's slowing down your PC, that is one thing but the free ones pretty well take care of that exactly the same as a paid one. Don't most banking websites have solid security in place already?
    I'm not telling anyone anything here, more I'm curious to everyones thoughts on the matter. I can't think of anything on my PC that would be devastating if some Russian got their hands on it besides my banking info. Pictures? Music? fantasy hockey cheat sheets? I've never worried about it, should I?
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Star

I imagine that you can probably be fine with the free anti virus. For me, I use online banking, pay all of my bills including credit cards, use pay pal, and even minor other things that do have access to something financial I use like ITunes and Microsoft and Playstation. I wouldn't want any of that information to fall into the wrong hands. I know people who have had brutal experiences with identity theft and been victims of credit card fraud; it's scary stuff that can destroy people's lives.

I also go to sites that I am not 100 percent certain of their security fairly regularly, which is a concern. If you are really careful, as others have said, you probably don't need anything more than a firewall and Windows defender; slap on a free anti virus and you are probably completely fine.

I have recently moved from Kaspersky to Bit Defender. I spent 50 dollars for a 5 year subscription to Bit Defender. At 10 dollars a year, it is just worth it for me. It gives me piece of mind, even if it isn't necessary. As well, I am the type of person who, IF something bad happened to my data while I was using something free, without a doubt, I would think that it is because of the free anti virus, and that a paid subscription would have protected me. I would feel this way even if it wasn't true. That piece of mind is worth 10 dollars a year to me. I think it's better to have it, and not need it, than it is to need it, and not have it.

Rylant