Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Parting of the G's: Bishop or Vasilevskiy this year....AND BEYOND!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default The Parting of the G's: Bishop or Vasilevskiy this year....AND BEYOND!

I haven't had my morning coffee, so don't mind the ridiculous thread title. I try to be funny sometimes.

Now, for the serious stuff. My league in sig is expanding from 10 teams to 12 teams this year, and we must ONLY keep 4 players, as opposed to 5! I currently have Quick, Bishop, and Vasilevskiy, leaving me likely the strongest goalie roster in our league.

But I can't keep all three.

Assuming I stick with Quick, who would you rather have on your team as a 2nd starter: Bishop or Vasilevskiy? My gut says Bishop, but Vas is younger and in a good spot with arguably less competition. TB gave Bishop away for a reason, right? I also imagine TB GAA/SV% may be stronger as they arguably have a better defence too.

Anyways, what are your thoughts? I need to notify the league of my keepers by midnight on the 31st!

Thanks in advance everyone!
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Default Re: The Parting of the G's: Bishop or Vasilevskiy this year....AND BEYOND!

Well if this is my team I'm keeping Vasilevsky and Bishop. LA is the weakest team of the three and Quick has the biggest injury concern. Bishop is on a very strong team with an excellent defensive coach. If you're so strong in goal make a trade for a better center or D before the deadline
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: The Parting of the G's: Bishop or Vasilevskiy this year....AND BEYOND!

I think it was less about Tampa "Giving Bishop Away"... and more about the reason. With the required signing of Kuch, TJ, Palat etc after Stamkos' contract, there just wasn't room for Bishop. And Vas has been the shiny new toy they've been waiting on... and at a fraction of the cost. This all has to do with Cap Management in my mind.

Having Said that, I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing Vas, But my conservative gut places Bishop Over Vas. Dallas will be better defensively this year with a new mindset and some new bodies. I just trust the young Vet over the unknown at the moment.

However, I’d be inclined to try and shop QUICK for an upgrade elsewhere and take a chance on both Bishop AND Vas.

Keeping Quick and Bishop (both arguably earning the BAB tag) may be scary and frustrating.

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with the others that I'd rather hold Vasilevskiy AND Bishop and move out Quick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I agree with the others that I'd rather hold Vasilevskiy AND Bishop and move out Quick.
    I too think this is the right move here.

First off, thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated as always!

I do have to say, I am completely surprised at the responses regarding shipping out Quick. Frankly, that was not even in consideration, so now I'm even more perplexed...

I'm not sure how keeping Bishop and Vas over Quick is justified based on previous years/experience. I'm always open to feedback (which is why I posted originally) but this I'm a bit confused about. Feel free to enlighten me further as to why an unproven goalie and a goalie coming off a terrible season is the safer bet than an established elite goalie. Thanks!

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by stotan View Post
    First off, thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated as always!

I do have to say, I am completely surprised at the responses regarding shipping out Quick. Frankly, that was not even in consideration, so now I'm even more perplexed...

I'm not sure how keeping Bishop and Vas over Quick is justified based on previous years/experience. I'm always open to feedback (which is why I posted originally) but this I'm a bit confused about. Feel free to enlighten me further as to why an unproven goalie and a goalie coming off a terrible season is the safer bet than an established elite goalie. Thanks!
    Hehe. Cause it is always easy to gamble with someone else's money....

Vas is young and highly regarded. On a strong team.
    Bishop is a proven top goalie who has been given a very good situation.
    Quick is older and on a team that is on the decline...

I understand both sides....
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Stud

Another vote for this. It's exactly what I was thinking before even reading the other replies.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    Another vote for this. It's exactly what I was thinking before even reading the other replies.
    I am protecting Forsberg and O'Reilly. We have FOW in our league, and O'Reilly is one of the best in the league for that category and is extremely valuable in a 12-team league. That means I have space for only two goalies. If I do let Quick go, all I can get is a draft pick for this year's draft for him. He won't make it past the expansion draft I'd imagine, so I might as well get something for him. I was planning on shipping either Vas or Bishop but I'm amazed at the responses and, frankly, it's made me reconsider. I have one team in mind who is desperate for a goalie upgrade, so I may be able to snag a decent pick from him, but that's about it.

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Genius

This is for a keep 4 correct? If so I am only keeping 1 goalie, not two. I'd be looking to trade one of the goalies (Valsilevski is the sexiest) + Kuznetzov for a D keeper who is better than Carlson.

KEEPERS
    Forsberg
    O'Reilly
    New D keeper
    Goalie (doesn't really matter - Bishop or Quick)
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This is for a keep 4 correct? If so I am only keeping 1 goalie, not two. I'd be looking to trade one of the goalies (Valsilevski is the sexiest) + Kuznetzov for a D keeper who is better than Carlson.

KEEPERS
    Forsberg
    O'Reilly
    New D keeper
    Goalie (doesn't really matter - Bishop or Quick)
    This is where I'm at. In a keep 4, I'd only keep 1 goalie. Especially in a smallish league.

Standard Yahoo 12 team
    G A +/- PPP SOG HIT | W SV% GAA SO

C: Johansen, Duchene, Marchessault
    LW: Ovechkin, B Tkachuk, Parise
    RW: Wheeler, Hoffman, Tuch
    D: Rielly, Edler, Montour, Theodore
    G: Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Raanta
    IR: Subban

Dobber Sports Ace

I think I'd still keep two goalies in your league. I really like the idea of trying to go after the GM who is goalie deficient and dangle all three goalies to see what lands you the highest return (pick or pick swap). I also like the idea of trying to package a goalie and Kuz to upgrade Carlson. It would have to be significant though because Carlson has rebound written all over him. Carlson is 50 points with a nice pile of blocked shots and PPP. Your league is similar to mine in that you have to be creative to make trades in the off-season given the limit on keepers. Exploit another GM's deficiencies... only thing you can do other than make tough keeper choices.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    I think I'd still keep two goalies in your league. I really like the idea of trying to go after the GM who is goalie deficient and dangle all three goalies to see what lands you the highest return (pick or pick swap). I also like the idea of trying to package a goalie and Kuz to upgrade Carlson. It would have to be significant though because Carlson has rebound written all over him. Carlson is 50 points with a nice pile of blocked shots and PPP. Your league is similar to mine in that you have to be creative to make trades in the off-season given the limit on keepers. Exploit another GM's deficiencies... only thing you can do other than make tough keeper choices.
    Thanks for your feedback! Yeah, I think people underestimate how vital it is to have 2 starters in a 12-team, keep 5 league. And I have 3, so I need to get something out of it.

I like your idea. I'm chatting with the GM who only has Lundqvist as his #1. I could package, let's say, Bishop (who should I package?) with Kuznetsov for his OEL and a 6th or something? Do you think he'd keep Kuznetsov over Pacioretty or Panarin?

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't think so... unless he sees the PP1 that Kuz should now get over Johansson's departure... maybe package Carlson with Bishop for OEL... who is his second best Dman?
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    I don't think so... unless he sees the PP1 that Kuz should now get over Johansson's departure... maybe package Carlson with Bishop for OEL... who is his second best Dman?
    His next best d-men are Krug/Parayko. Not sure if that's much of an upgrade, if any, for me. Really only OEL, but he's already informed me he's keeping OEL as his D man. I'm offering him your suggestion so we'll see what happens!

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy