Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP. How To Handle An Owner That Doesn't Quite Get It..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default PLEASE HELP. How To Handle An Owner That Doesn't Quite Get It..

Okay this is for the league in my sig. This will matter when I go over some trades the owner has made.

Anyway, we just started a 12 team dynasty hockey league, i'm the commissioner and I recruited guys from Dobber forums, and a few other places to fill out the league. Everybody knows what they're doing, I'm confident in saying that.

There is one guy however that has made some very odd trades.. Mind you, we just finished drafted for our inaugural season about a month ago and he's already made 14(!!) trades. I will highlight a few.

Owner trades: Russell, A. Forsberg for Domi. Okay maybe I can see it if he REALLY wanted blocks and thought Forsberg would take over the crease in Chicago in a few years.. That was his first deal.

Owner trades: LAINE, O'Reilly, Carlo for Kopitar, Skinner, Chabot. This one is bad. Laine I think could have gone for more than that haul alone, then he added a young, 1000 FOW guy and a prospect d man.

Owner trades: Burns and Skinner for Faulk and Arvidsson. Burns>>>>>>>Faulk and Skinner=Arvidsson. This one makes no sense either.

Owner trades JVR, Fabbri and a second round pick for Hertl, a second and a third round pick.
    This trade was accepted but before I executed it I explained to him that if the second round picks cancel out, he's trading JVR and Fabbri for Hertl and a third. He was okay with it. I don't understand.

I could keep going but I won't.

This guy is active in the groupchat, can talk hockey, and seems confident in every move. But these trades are so bad.

As i'm typing this he's offered me Vrana and Ho-Sang for my RNH. Not an awful deal but he's still dealing.

My question is, what do I do? He's not colluding, he's not being absent, he just makes awful trades and i'm afraid that if he keeps doing it he'll ruin his team and leave the league (it's a money league) and nobody will want to take over.

Has this ever happened to you guys? What did you do? What should I do?

If you made it to the end of this thanks for reading, I appreciate any feedback I can get on this!
    - 12 team, 40 keeper dynasty league
    - Scoring categories for skaters: G, A, PIM, HIT, BLK, STP, FOW, SOG, +/-, DEF, ATOI
    - Scoring categories for goalies: W, SV, SV%, SO, GAA
    - Start 12F, 6D, 3UTIL, 3 min goalie starts a week
    - Starters in bold

Forwards: MacKinnon, Tarasenko, Tavares, Panarin, Johansen, Ehlers, E. Kane, Lee, Huberdeau, Horvat, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Pacioretty, Meier, Fabbri, Sikura, Zacha, Burakovsky, Spooner, Jost, Roussel, Kaprizov, Cirelli, Berglund,

Defense: Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dumba, Faulk, Provorov, Muzzin, McAvoy, Carlson, Nurse, Del Zotto, Borowiecki, Russell

Goalies: Jones, Vasilevskiy, Raanta, Keumper, Remier, Demko

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: PLEASE HELP. How To Handle An Owner That Doesn't Quite Get It..

This was me back when I was first joining dynasty leagues. In one league that I was in, a few of the guys got together and talked to the commish about the deals and discussed what they should do. I ended up moving Blake Wheeler for a 2018 1st, Emerson Etem in a 16 or so team standard multi cat league. After a lot of discussion the trade was allowed but a few of the guys kept telling me I need to do a little more research because I'm giving up way too much value in the deals I was doing. At first I was ticked off and was offended but in the long run it helped. I know what it's like to be that guy though, I love hockey and love talking about hockey and sometimes you're just so inexperienced. For me a simple message or even a veto of the trade would help a lot. The one league I was part of made a new owner ineligible to make any trades for 7 days upon joining so they get accustomed to the league and feel comfortable with the settings. Me personally I wouldnt kick such a manager out because those types usually find the league the most fun but are just inexperienced, just talk to him. In my salary cap league one of the commishes will message me after every trade and tell me how I was doing which I noticed helped a lot and also made me feel very welcome.

Dobber Sports Icon

I think Stuntman nailed it here. Talk to him, have other owners talk to him. He may get a little upset at first but in the long run it will help. Sounds like an overzealous inexperienced GM to me. Just offer him support and constructive criticism and he will learn. Hell, with that kind of enthusiasm, he will probably become one of your best, most active GMs.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Deity

You could always tell him to come here and ask for fantasy advice before making his trades and maybe that would help him learn value. I would venture to say that is how a lot of us learned.

I do think talking to him is a good idea. I would ask him what his plan is for his team going forward.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I think Stuntman nailed it here. Talk to him, have other owners talk to him. He may get a little upset at first but in the long run it will help. Sounds like an overzealous inexperienced GM to me. Just offer him support and constructive criticism and he will learn. Hell, with that kind of enthusiasm, he will probably become one of your best, most active GMs.
    I'd rather have an over-active GM like this than one who barely pays attention to the league. If this was one of my leagues I would personally communicate with him that he might be a little over-zealous with the dealing, to maybe slow it down and look at the bigger picture. But if he wants to trade and it's not collusion, let him live & learn.

I can't describe how frustrating it is to have GM's that do not ever respond to trade offers from anyone, and you have to email them half a dozen times before getting a 3 word response on every issue.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Not sure it was mentioned or not, but I wonder if this is this GM's first time in a dynasty. Sounds like he's making a bunch of short sighted moves and is probably addicted to trading. have a couple guys like that in 2 of my Dynasty leagues. He'll eventually learn or forever be a middling / low end team with no assets to improve on.

I'm not a huge fan of any of those posted deals... but who knows... maybe he's actually Pete Chiarelli.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Not sure it was mentioned or not, but I wonder if this is this GM's first time in a dynasty. Sounds like he's making a bunch of short sighted moves and is probably addicted to trading. have a couple guys like that in 2 of my Dynasty leagues. He'll eventually learn or forever be a middling / low end team with no assets to improve on.

I'm not a huge fan of any of those posted deals... but who knows... maybe he's actually Pete Chiarelli.
    this was me man..i made alot of bad bad trades when i started fantasy..and easily got addicted to teh trading. give em time he'll figure it out.

Pete Chiarelli, lol..priceless!
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Monster

ask Comish about overzealous managers, i think first year in his pool i did 59 trades. oops maybe i shouldnt have said anything ... it was probably nicely blocked out of his memory lol

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    this was me man..i made alot of bad bad trades when i started fantasy..and easily got addicted to teh trading. give em time he'll figure it out.

Pete Chiarelli, lol..priceless!
    Me too man. Went from Yearly to Keeper and my first draft was aweful... and I literally drove my pool mates nuts with all my offers. But I eventually rounded into form and have a back to back championship team (which finished top 3 4 more times in 9 total years to date) and took my 2nd last place inaugural WHL team to Top 4 in 1 year (more a product of me drafting young and injured players who failed to show up for me... Gibson, Drouin... etc which changed drastically for me last year). It takes time!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Maybe you should just send the guy a link to this thread.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Maybe you should just send the guy a link to this thread.
    Maybe he doesn't want to reveal the Dobber Secret to those in the league who don't already know it.

Or maybe the new GM is Stuntman and he's getting his lesson as we speak!

Administrator

About 12-15 years ago when I ran my own league I've booted owners for being awful. Not because I like it or because it's fair but because this type of activity does serious long-term damage to the league. Lopsided large-scale trades are very jarring for competitive balance (a couple teams benefit BIG) and leaves the lesser franchise in shambles. Soon enough you're left with 1/4 of the teams being competitive and the rest doing endless rebuilds because they're frustrated.

I can't say what's the best approach here (IMO it's case by case depending on your group of owners) but I think you're absolutely right about taking action now.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Maybe it's time your league introduces a trade committee of some sort or a veto system. I am in a LOT of keeper leagues (too many really) and very few have a veto system but I am also selective about the leagues I join and try to make sure the other GMs are knowledgeable enough to run a team. If your league appears to have weaker knowledgeable GMs then I think a veto system could be beneficial.

The one league that I co-commish does have a veto system, always has, even before I stepped up to help run this league. We have a small committee that reviews "questionable" trades and tries to discuss with the GMs involved on their intentions on a questionable trade to try and find an acceptable solution. It's rare that we have to veto anything, but it has happened.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

In a limited keeper league guys like this don't really do much harm and, if anything, they can be fun to have around because they're always looking to deal. In a Dynasty league however they can really wreck the competitive balance and create a lot of turnover which kills a league, IMO.

I've always firmly believed that any GM who pays their league dues should be allowed to run their team however they see fit. If a guy comes back every year, pays his 50 dollar league fee and seems content to make 100 deals and finish near the bottom, so be it. Where it becomes a problem however is when the GM in question finally has enough and quits on the league. You end up left with a dumpster-fire of a roster and, especially in a money league, it can be extremely difficult to find someone to step in and take over. It can also be a problem if the GM in question always trades with the same team or two and you end up with a couple of stacked teams that no one else can touch, but then you're really talking about what I'd call indirect collusion - even if there's no intention to split the money, making a trade with someone because they're your buddy and you just like them and want to help them out is still veto-worthy in my books.

I had one such GM in one of my leagues this year and I ultimately had to remove him from the league after I found out that he had told others he likely wasn't coming back this year. It was EXTREMELY difficult to find another GM to take over a roster that had no picks, no note-worthy prospects and an average age of like 35 for all its active players. I honestly thought I'd have to offer to pay the new GM's league dues for a year or two or get everyone else in the league to agree to credit the team with extra draft picks but we got lucky and found a masochist who likes a challenge (if you're reading this, I love ya buddy).

My recommendation, much like what the others have said, is to speak to the GM and make sure first and foremost that he is still committed to being in the league long term. If his intention is to try and cash this year and then quit the league next, I think you owe it to the rest of the league to replace him sooner rather than later. I have a "no trade" policy in my leagues for any GMs who a) have not yet paid their league dues (during off-season) or b) have expressed that they intend to quit the league. If you're satisfied that the GM in question is in it for the long haul, I'd just gently nudge him toward doing a bit of research, seeking guidance on these forums and elsewhere before making a trade and being weary of some of the other "shark" GMs in the league who will try to take advantage of him. Let him know that a lot of other GMs are seeing him as an easy mark and that by doing a bit more research and seeking out additional opinions, he might be able to better prove them wrong.

Good luck!
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Pro

He just sounds inexperienced + loves trading, as long as there isn't collusion I would be fine. Talk to him sure, and definitely link him to here as others suggested, but sometimes owners have to realized they screwed up their team by trading too much and have to suffer the consequences. I have dealt with a few guys like that, but if you make the owner feel bad and then they look dumb they could easily just never trade again and leave your league, so tread carefully.

I only really find trade #4 you listed as awful, I mean #1 was bad too but I kind of get it (#2 & #3 not that bad), the rest just seem like the owner wants to trade and doesn't understand declining and players on the rise. Also can't evaluate players properly. Send him here for sure!
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league