Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The faaacccckkk??

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: The faaacccckkk??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Yes the 19th is in the 2nd round.

Where is the other 2nd round pick you're talking about
    Unless I'm missing something, the OP didn't state he was trading or traded his 2nd round pick, so that would mean he would have 2.

Example. If the OP is 12th in the draft of 14 and acquires the 19th as well, then wouldn't he then have his 2nd round (17th overall) and 19th?
    FANTRAX SALARY CAP LEAGUE
    $75m Cap League / 12 Teams / 18 Keepers
    20min - 25max man roster / 5 Minor bench
    G, A, STP, FOW, Takeaways, Hits, BLKS, PIM, SOG,
    W, SV%, Saves

C: Backstrom, MacKinnon, Backlund, Jost, Barzal, Zetterberg, Trocheck

W; Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Haley, Pacioretty, Boeser, Kreider, Riley Nash

D: Gudas, OEL, Ristolainen, Chychrun, Nurse, McAvoy Sergachev

G: Dubnyk, Stalock, Smith,
    Minor bench: Demko, Samsonov, White, Steel, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheBends View Post
    It's only for entry level picks from what the OP says. I can't see much value in the 4th & 5th rounds. By then the cream of the crop has been taken. I for sure wouldn't give up my 2nd rounder to allow someone to grab 2 quality guys so I can get a few fillers. Not to mention the counter was pretty funny. I would have done the same, but mind you, everyone knows each other in my leagues, so they would laugh it off and come back with something better or let the deal die.
    Those were purely entry level picks in the deals I mentioned as well. There are lots of good players available in the 4th and 5th rounds if your league only has 12 or 14 teams. I mean, the first pick in the 4th round is pick #37 or #43. There are some good players available still if you have good knowledge on prospects. Your chances of getting one quality player with three picks in the 40s and 50s is actually better than getting one with the 19th overall pick.

But of course every league is different. With shallow farm teams, the high picks have much more value. But if you have unlimited farm rosters, then trading down is actually a good strategy when drafting 18-year-old kids.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Those were purely entry level picks in the deals I mentioned as well. There are lots of good players available in the 4th and 5th rounds if your league only has 12 or 14 teams. I mean, the first pick in the 4th round is pick #37 or #43. There are some good players available still if you have good knowledge on prospects. Your chances of getting one quality player with three picks in the 40s and 50s is actually better than getting one with the 19th overall pick.

But of course every league is different. With shallow farm teams, the high picks have much more value. But if you have unlimited farm rosters, then trading down is actually a good strategy when drafting 18-year-old kids.
    I hear ya. Trades are subjective though and I for one wouldn't give an opponent the 19th overall for later round picks...well... maybe if it was for the 3rd and 4th rounds but that's just me haha. Anyway, I'll be a little more constructive with my comments next time. I'm not trying to troll anyone
    FANTRAX SALARY CAP LEAGUE
    $75m Cap League / 12 Teams / 18 Keepers
    20min - 25max man roster / 5 Minor bench
    G, A, STP, FOW, Takeaways, Hits, BLKS, PIM, SOG,
    W, SV%, Saves

C: Backstrom, MacKinnon, Backlund, Jost, Barzal, Zetterberg, Trocheck

W; Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Haley, Pacioretty, Boeser, Kreider, Riley Nash

D: Gudas, OEL, Ristolainen, Chychrun, Nurse, McAvoy Sergachev

G: Dubnyk, Stalock, Smith,
    Minor bench: Demko, Samsonov, White, Steel, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Wizard

I hear ya. Trades are subjective though and I for one wouldn't give an opponent the 19th overall for later round picks...well... maybe if it was for the 3rd and 4th rounds but that's just me haha. Anyway, I'll be a little more constructive with my comments next time. I'm not trying to troll anyone
    Based on your signature, you only have 5 farm players per team, so in a league like that trading down would be a huge mistake. But if you have 25+ farm players per team, then it starts to make more and more sense. I don't think we have enough information to actually know if the original offer was decent or horrible because it could be either of those things depending on the league setup.

The Great One

Unless I'm missing something, the OP didn't state he was trading or traded his 2nd round pick, so that would mean he would have 2.

Example. If the OP is 12th in the draft of 14 and acquires the 19th as well, then wouldn't he then have his 2nd round (17th overall) and 19th?
    Would have been my only 2nd.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post

Thanks for explaining it better than I could Jouko.

And yea- its a 27 man main club, a 27 man farm roster, and an unimited junior roster for drafted players up to three years or until you promote them- so its an extremely deep league...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
    Lowball offers are the regular in fantasy. Sometimes terrible ones like this.

I am a bit different than most as I try to offer fair value from the get go in my trades and say so, usually emphasizing I would not be willing to modify it much.

But we have 1-2 guys in the league that open with super lowballs and feel like they can converge to middle ground in their favor if they start lower. They make dozens of offers every month.

Sometimes the offer is so bad that I let it sit in my inbox. It is unheard of that I let it sit in my inbox more than half a day unless I am contemplating it and I usually send a message saying I am analyzing. But for the real bad ones, I let it sit in my inbox. If they think I am contemplating, they will forego other trade offers to others waiting to see my answer. After A day of not saying anything, they start the messages. At which point I say "Super busy at work, ill look at it when i get time".

I have had people wait a week for my response. Which of course, negates their ability to offer those players in other trades. Eventually they get uber worked up and I just hit decline with no dialog
    Ive been trying to come up with the right response for this. It seems to me you might be doing yourself a disservice here. I mean yea you may potentially slow them down but whats the net gain on your end (besides maybe a bit of a self-satisfied chuckle- lol!). Realistically not every bad offer is a tire kicker or fishing for a homerun. Sometimes guys are trying to fill a need and start at the top. Sometimes theres an honest to god discrepancy in value- for example how do you qualify Nate MacKinnon right now?). In any case it seems like a bit of a passive agressive stance that just kind of leaves you out in the cold to counters/rebuttals/etc- in my hubmle estimation anyways. I know in this league in question Ive managed 20 or so trades and often overpaid to get the guy I wanted or fill the hole I was targetting. Responses like your describing- while they could be frusterating just basically lose you a trade talk. Ive started at franchise players and worked down to 3rd liners for value. Not trying to throw shade your way- Im just saying the net gain is essentually the same as an agressive or offensive response- which is to say there isnt any- lol!

Just my thoughts. If Im far off on an offer Ive always found it better to be clear. To me a potential net gain for my team outweighs inconveniencing another roster 11 times out of 10. Just saying mang...