Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ilya Samsonov news

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Ilya Samsonov news

Anything is possible, but I just dont see them trading Holtby any time soon. Yes, he isn't starting right now and we want to read what we must into that but lets face it, with Grubauer starting, lets say for a second that the Capitals dont get past the first round. Do they trade Holtby because they dont get by the first? Do they trade Holtby because Grubauer couldn't get it done?

I just dont see it but as I say, who knows. I think some are reading too much into Samsonov coming over and signing his ELC right now.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Anything is possible, but I just dont see them trading Holtby any time soon. Yes, he isn't starting right now and we want to read what we must into that but lets face it, with Grubauer starting, lets say for a second that the Capitals dont get past the first round. Do they trade Holtby because they dont get by the first? Do they trade Holtby because Grubauer couldn't get it done?

I just dont see it but as I say, who knows. I think some are reading too much into Samsonov coming over and signing his ELC right now.
    Samsonov definitely isn't taking over the crease right away, he needs time in the AHL. But a few months ago, it seemed like no one could supplant Holtby because he was a superstar. Read back this thread and you'll see what I mean. That's not the case anymore, and it's realistic to think Samsonov could replace him in a couple of years. My thoughts haven't changed because of Samsonov signing - this is what I said about the situation back in December:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I think they'll keep Holtby until the summer of 2020 when he's UFA, and Samsonov takes over from there. Assuming they're still a playoff team of course. 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons will be split between the AHL and the NHL, and then they're just hoping he's ready just like Tampa did with Vasilevski.
    EDIT: Take this quote from you for example. This is what most people thought just a few months ago but that's all changed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Coming to Washington and stealing the job from one of the games best in Holtby are two different things.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

holtby signed for 2 more years at 6.1mil. That's a tough contract to move but not impossible. St.Louis Blues come to mind...good team that needs an elite goalie. They don't have the space, but the cap will be going up...
    12 team 35 player dynasty Keep all players - 2017-18 Leaque champ -
    Goals: 3 Assists: 2 Def pts: 0.5 PPG:2 SHG:2 Shots: 0.4 GA:-1 SV: 0.2 Wins: 5 Shutout: 3

F: Barkov, Scheifele, Dubois, Hall, Keller, Kreider, Drouin, Monahan, Dadonov, Shwartz, Terravainen, Wilson, Tatar, Schmaltz , Bratt Minors: Necas, Chytil, Borgstrom, Kravtsov, R.Thomas, Donato,

D: Jones, Butcher, Klingberg, Hamilton, S. Theodore, Minors: Chowlowski, Jokiharju, Brannstrom, K. Miller

G: Bobrovsky, Varlamov, IR: Crawford, Raanta Minors:Hill

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    If they ship out holtby that?s carlson money.
    That is a great point.

I still think this is Holtby's team. On the sum, he is far and away better than what we saw this season. Samsonov is 2 years away from NHL duty. 3 away from being a starter, if at all, but that's ok. He just signed his ELC. So that's what he is, entry-level.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    That is a great point.

I still think this is Holtby's team. On the sum, he is far and away better than what we saw this season. Samsonov is 2 years away from NHL duty. 3 away from being a starter, if at all, but that's ok. He just signed his ELC. So that's what he is, entry-level.
    I agree, I know Grubauer is playing well and Holtby is not. You don't necessarily throw out the baby with the bath water, but say he plays well enough for a round or two. Do they give him a two year deal for back up money 1.5 per and then trade Holtby? Basically using Grubauer as a 1A for a savings of 4.6 to get Carlson signed. In two years they'll have Orpiks 5.5 off the books which some can be used for Djoos. So they'd have a blue line of Niskanen/Orlov/Carlson/Djoos/Bowey with one more needed. Samsonov will have hopefully developed into a starter by then and be on his ELC, while having the prime of Kuzy Vrana Burakovsky Wilson and still having Oshie Ovie Eller Backstrom. As a NHL GM I think you always have to be forward thinking, and I live by the motto I'd rather trade a guy two years too early than two years too late.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Genius

I can see him in the AHL next year. I do believe he wants to play with his fellow countrymen but it could take 2-3 years. We shall see how serious he is.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Samsonov signing his ELC is now official (I know some people had their doubts).

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    If they ship out holtby that?s carlson money.
    This is true.
    The only risk is - they do that and don't have a reliable ace until Samsonov is ready in 2 years, and they've wasted two more years of Ovechkin / Backstrom, who aren't getting any younger.

I think, by all indications, Samsonov is getting at least one full season in the A. More likely parts of 2, if he's likely. Who is going to hold down the fort for 82 next year? I don't think the Caps fully trust Grubauer with the keys. They could pull a Flyers, and find a stopgap like Elliott, but if it fails, look out.