Thread: TE Ranking Question (Dynasty Setting)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default TE Ranking Question (Dynasty Setting)

How do you rank the following TEs in terms of long-term dynasty value (i.e., most important to me is the 2019 season and beyond, with less importance placed on their ability to be used as a very occasional spot start this year and next).

Hunter Henry
    O.J. Howard
    Evan Engram
    David Njoku

League settings are .5 point per reception.

Thanks!
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: TE Ranking Question (Dynasty Setting)

Henry >>>>>>

Njoku
    Howard
    Engram

I always lean to the guy who's already shown he can do it in the NFL. The other three are elite prospects but they are still just prospects. I like Njoku the most of the three. I think he has the highest upside.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

O.J. Howard - because he has a young Quarterback that will be around for a while and Evans will also be around... leaving lots of room for growth and fantasy points.
    Njoku - Very talented and if Kizer can develop into a good QB then I think he could become top-end fantasy TE.
    Engram/Henry - both could be losing their QB before 2019 and their fantasy production largely depends on who the teams groom to replace them.

OJ Howard - best pure TE among all of these, and highest floor too. Not as high a ceiling as Njoku, but Howard sublime blocking ability gets himon the field quicker in terms of significant role in offense.

Njoku - highest ceiling as mention, and a more dynamic play maker. Clearer path to starter role in this wide open offense. Will learn and grow with Kizer. However, he's far more raw a product than people like to admit. Needs to improve picking up his blocking schemes in order to get into Howard's tier.

Hunter Henry - pure move or receiving TE. Makes his fantasy value TD dependent. He's not Gates, and many view Henry through that prism. Short term value, but he's trade bait midseason when he flashes imo.

Engram - he's a tweener and I'm not buying the hype. Pure move TE and they usually don't have long term staying power. Jordan Reed is the exception. Brate is another too, but you see TB went out and got Howard.

TE is arguably the third most difficult position in football behind QB and defensive back so they have a longer learning curve. To draw an analogy, TE is to football as d-man is to hockey. They both peak at around 25-27 years old. The great ones last forever because they're technicians at their craft. Much like the move TE, a pure offensive dman flashes and "wows!" fans, but the ones who can also play shutdown defense eat the most minutes.Gates, Gonzo, Gronk, Witten, Shockey, all block(ed) very well. Look at Texans TE, CJ Fiedorowicz. Best all around TE in his draft class. Fantasy community ignored him. But his ability to block earned him valuable playing time. Three years later he's fantasy relevant. Not elite mind you, but relevant.

Anyway...I'm ranting. Sorry.

Those are my ranks.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

I am surprised Gerald Everett wasn't in the question too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

George Kittle, TE, SF is the sleeper for me. Erik Swoope, TE, IND is the a breakout candidate for me too.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am surprised Gerald Everett wasn't in the question too.
    Good point. Where would folks slot in Gerald Everett in the Howard, Henry, Njoku, Engram list?
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with the others that Henry is the best option for this upcoming season. I expect Howard to chase him down pretty quick though, probably by next season. I like Njoku a lot too but the Browns need a good enough QB to get him the ball. Those are my top three.

I can see both Everett and Engram being pretty close and could be flip flopped as far as production goes. Engram probably has the edge early on due to the better QB but I've heard/read really good things about Everett too and expect him to catch Engram as they progress through their careers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."