Thread: Ed Olczyk diagnosed with colon cancer

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Ed Olczyk diagnosed with colon cancer

Fingers crossed for ole Eddie.

https://www.nhl.com/news/broadcaster...er/c-290622214

Former NHL forward and NBC Sports hockey analyst Eddie Olczyk was diagnosed with colon cancer last week.

"I have been working with outstanding health care professionals and expect to be back in the broadcast booth after I complete my treatment," Olczyk said in a statement issued by the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday. "Having the support and encouragement from my family, the Chicago Blackhawks organization, NBC Sports and all my friends and fans means the world to me and will give me continued strength to beat this. My family and I appreciate privacy during this time as we focus our attention on my treatments."

Olczyk, who turns 51 on Aug. 16, has been the in-game analyst for Blackhawks games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago and WGN-TV since the 2006-07 season. He was selected by Chicago with the third pick in the 1984 NHL Draft, and played five seasons with the Blackhawks from 1984-87 and 1998-2000.

The Blackhawks team physician said Olczyk had a procedure to remove a tumor, is recovering well, and will receive further treatment, including chemotherapy.

"Eddie Olczyk is a treasured member of the Chicago Blackhawks family and we will be supportive of him as he fights this disease," Blackhawks president and CEO John McDonagh said. "We encourage our fans to keep him in their thoughts as we all look forward to having him back in good health as soon as possible."

Olczyk had 794 points (342 goals, 452 assists) in 1,031 games for the Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins, Los Angeles Kings, Winnipeg Jets, New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs. He coached the Penguins for two seasons between 2003-05, going 31-64-10 with eight ties.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Ed Olczyk diagnosed with colon cancer

Hope he beats this. I've always liked Eddie. As a player and as a broadcaster.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Hope he beats this. I've always liked Eddie. As a player and as a broadcaster.
    I'll echo these remarks. Let's go Eddie O
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

Ditto. Eddie O was a great player and is a great broadcaster. F@ck cancer...

Dobber Sports Master

he cracks me up with his ''laugh''

I recall one game v.s the isles he was part of the broadcast crew .The camera panned the isles bench and Eddie let out a woah , elvis is in the building as it crossed Dipietro and his lamb chop sideburns .

get well edzo

Dobber Sports Stud

colon cancer is a killer

lets hope they caught it early
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Monster

praying for a full recovery. eddie always seems like a nice guy too.

Dobber Sports Expert

I remember some years back on a Saturday night when he was with the Leafs he was at the hospital that I work out of. His wife was there to deliver their baby. Me & a workmate were in the fathers lounge watching the game. All of a sudden we hear this voice say: "have i missed anything.?" Let me tell you we spent more time on break then working that night. What a great guy! Great conversation.

Dobber Sports Expert

Here's some positive news

Eddie Olczyk: NBC Sports analyst returning to booth
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...day/769056001/

Dobber Sports Sage

Olczyk gave a very personal, emotional interview with a local Chicago station on Friday. It is the third interview down. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/67...re-interviews/
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    I remember some years back on a Saturday night when he was with the Leafs he was at the hospital that I work out of. His wife was there to deliver their baby. Me & a workmate were in the fathers lounge watching the game. All of a sudden we hear this voice say: "have i missed anything.?" Let me tell you we spent more time on break then working that night. What a great guy! Great conversation.
    Great story. I love hearing about players interacting with fans.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Olczyk gave a very personal, emotional interview with a local Chicago station on Friday. It is the third interview down. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/67...re-interviews/
    Wow thanks for sharing