Thread: Kenneth Dixon (Torn Meniscus)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Kenneth Dixon (Torn Meniscus)

Apparently slated to have surgery today.

Notably, this is his third knee injury in 12 months. Together with his looming 4 game suspension, the storm clouds seem to be gathering quickly over Dixon's seasonal and dynasty value.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Kenneth Dixon (Torn Meniscus)

West and Woodhead just got more valuable.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

UPDATE: Dixon's apparently done for the season after surgery revealed more extensive meniscus damage than initially suspected.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-after-surgery

W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev

Dobber Sports Grand Master

FWIW, in dynasty I'd still throw a real cheap, trash offer at the Dixon owner and see if I can get him.

I own him in three leagues.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tough break all around.

But here's a piece of rank speculation on my part, but a potential conversation piece nonetheless:

There's been lots of chatter so far about the new Niners regime being less than enthralled with Hyde, and Joe Williams having been drafted specifically in response to Shannahan's lobbying efforts due to his fit in the offense. In fact, one report by the Niners beat writer a day or two ago questioned whether Hyde will be straight up cut.

My answer to that question: no way he's cut -- he's proven himself as a capable NFL back. But where there's smoke, maybe there's fire?

While it'd be nuts for the Niners to cut Hyde, perhaps it makes perfect sense to trade him if they find a suitor to (a) naturally clear the way for Shanny's guy, while (b) gaining one or more future assets to hopefully assist with the rebuild. And from the Ravens' perspective, it's hard to imagine a better time for such a deal with camp just getting underway, plenty of current roster space to figure out cuts, and still 6 or so weeks until Week 1 action so Hyde can learn the offense.

Maybe Dixon's misfortune greases the wheels for those discussions and we see Hyde brought into the Ravens' backfield?

Like I said, rank speculation, but. . . .

Hyde has never been an outside zone runner, and he's having a tough go of it. Shanny's offenses are pretty complicated too so there's that. My bet is the 49ers see how Hyde performs during preseason gamses. If he gets it, he stays. If ni, they may cut him outright.

All this talk about him going to the Ravens has been puzzling me. The Ravens already have a similar style back in T-West who is just as capable as Hyde. Dixon's handcuff is Woodhead. Not a Hyde/West type. Different style runners.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Hyde is better than West, but trades basically don't happen in the NFL. I know this is a fantasy hockey forum where they happen a lot more, but I just don't see it.

That they signed someone like Rainey likely indicates they don't have a ton of interest in Hyde.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree that this whole Hyde to Baltimore thng (which, as far as I know, I just totally made up out of thin air) has basically zero chance of happening.

But I also disagree that Hyde and West are functional equivalents. Hyde is a vastly more talented back than West. And the Ravens are in a tough spot now. Woodhead has (had?) his strengths for sure, but I find it highly unlikely that he steps in to carry a significantly bigger load than he would have otherwise.

Let's not forget that, for all of his productivity in years past, he's now a 32 year old RB -- and one returning from a torn ACL at that.

Other than Woodhead, there's West, Lorrenzo Taliaferro, Javorius Allen and Bobby Rainey ... Maybe enough to make due, but not exactly the most awe-inspiring group out there for a team that has to be in win-now mode.

I think Hyde is better than West overall. But I don't think he's significantly better that BAL would go out of their way to acquire him. They knew Dixon would be out for a month serving his suspension and didn't go out and get anyone. Plus BAL has cap issues so acquiring Hyde's salary is easier said than done.

Woodhead is an injury waiting to happen. That much is ceratin

EDIT: Relative to their ADP, I'm taking West over Woodhead all day based on volume of carries he'll see.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah, I think that's probably right.

On another yet related note, did you see that Flacco has some disc issues going on now too? They're apparently contemplating signing Kaepernick. At this pace, things could start to get really dicey in Baltimore right quick from a fantasy perspective.