Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Report] Hawks about to trade core piece?

The Great One

Default Re: [Report] Hawks about to trade core piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I agree with this.

Zawaski has been saying this for a while now both on the air and in his weekly podcast (a decent podcast by the way).

The reason I think it's Panarin is:
    a) He doesn't have a NTC unlike everyone else on the Hawks.
    b) 6 M for the next 2 seasons is somewhat of a bargain
    c) The Hawks have wingers to replace Panarin. No, not 70 pts per season players but guys you can envision being in the top 6.
    d) He has been invisible in the playoffs the past 2 seasons.
    e) Kane doesn't need him. Look at some of the linemates Kane has had over the years. Toews needs help, Kane doesn't.

Why it isn't Seabrook or Hossa:
    a) Have you looked at Seabrook's decline in play AND his 6.875 cap hit for the next 7 years? That contract will be ugly fast if it isn't already. Seabrook does not have much value AND you would be creating a hole that the Hawks have no one to fill. Seabrook is barely a top 4 dman right now but he is the best the Hawks have after Keith and Hammer.
    b) Hossa's salary goes to 1 M so he becomes a value albeit at a high cap hit. Hossa had a bounceback year last and he is very useful. LOL- Maybe Ottawa wants him back.
    c) If Hossa retires early (he has 4 more years left on his contract), the ridiculous cap recapture goes back to the Hawks and not the team he would be traded to. If the Hawks keep him in the fold, they can either incentivize him to stay or at least play games with LTIR.
    d) Hossa and Seabrook will be bought out after the next lockout.

I think the candidates to be traded are Panarin, Anisimov, and possibly Kane. Why Kane? The image-conscious Hawks are still angry about the rape incident a couple seasons ago. Maybe a 1% chance.

We'll see. I thought the Hawks would still be playing right now so what do I know?
    Great post, although a little depressing from a Blackhawk's perspective. The more I think about Chicago the more I think their window has pretty much sailed by...

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Great post, although a little depressing from a Blackhawk's perspective. The more I think about Chicago the more I think their window has pretty much sailed by...
    How exactly do windows work in your house?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    How exactly do windows work in your house?
    It depends. I have a few different types....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Crawford - no, they wouldn't have trade Darling if that was the case

Panarin and Keith - unlikely but I guess anything is possible

Seabrook, Hjalmarsson or Hossa - definite possibilities; could this be related to the Vegas rumor that they're acquiring a well-known player and getting some picks/prospects along with him? Then it would be Hossa probably but doesn't he have some sort of protection against trades if he doesn't want to go?

Anisimov - is he a core piece? If he is, then he could be the one to go

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's definitely over. Way too high of a cap % committed to Toews and Kane for what those 2 players bring. They aren't Sid and Malkin and they make 2.5 mil more.

Reason Pittsburgh didn't win for so long: they didn't have the depth to compete with stronger overall teams and Sid and Malkin can only do so much. Reason Chicago is done winning: cap isn't going up anymore and Toews/Kane cap allocation is what Pittsburghs was with Sid/Malkin for so long.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    There was no "rape incident."
    That was a money-grab attempt, based on fiction.
    Call it whatever you want but Kane put himself in a terrible position and gave himself and the team some awful attention.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Call it whatever you want but the Kane put himself in a terrible position and gave himself and the team some awful attention.

This

10 Team, Points Only, Full Keeper, Salary Cap league (AAV)
    30 player max(main roster only)
    12 F, 6D, 2G(Weekly Line-up) count toward points (G=1/A=1/W=2/SO=+1/SOL=1)

F: -P. Kane, Benn, Schiefele, Laine, Eichel, S. Reinhart, Ehlers, Schmaltz, Bailey, Panik, Eaves, Zetterberg, Steen, Beauvillier, C. Fischer

D: - Byfuglien, Matheson, Hanifin, Ekholm, Djoos, Butcher, Sanheim

G: - Dubnyk, Lundqvist, Shesterkin

Picks :
    2018 : 1st, 4th, 4th
    2019 : 2nd
    2020 : 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Dobber Sports Sage

Thanks.

I think the Hawks' Cup window is closed. Bad timing led to the Toews and Kane contracts and Toews's game has declined to the point that he is 4-5 M overpaid. There's just no getting around those 2 players accounting for $21 million in cap space.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

I agree with Daydream that Hawks/Canes can make another swap, youth defenseman for a sniper? I can see that as a real possibility. So who would the Canes part with? Slavin, Pesce? Hanifin, Fleury? Everyone in Carolina dreams it to be Murphy, and we can always hope, but perhaps Pesce? Canes (team average age 26? 28?) do not seem to have the disheartening outlook others see the Hawks encountering, One can only hope but it is all too certain Carolina will find a way to let down. How's that for depressing talk?
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

The Great One

Fearless -borderline reckless forecast- Panarin and a massive salary dump to vegas- maybe picks involved as lv can easily be replaced. Everyone knows chi and lv were talking salary dump with kruger for tvr. What if things escalated and the knights thought tbey could use two or maybe even 3 deals worth of cap relief off the hawks hands? Theyve said theyre willing to make a handful of deals like that already. If chi ago really has moved on from panarin (I did not know that ftr) tbis would make sense for them and tbey get a chance to re-structure a cap situation that is way out of hand. On lvs side they get a cornerstone superstar to build on instead of three of three or four smaller upgrades.

Shep and Panarin would get my ass in a seat if I lived there...

Edit: also still spitballing but if they got this done before free agency it sends a clear message to players and other gms that theyre ready to play ball..

Dobber Sports Sophomore

we already know that kruger is gone as well as possibly TVR. The hawks are against the cap and it makes sense Seabrook being dealt. The Leafs could afford his contract but as leaf fan not sure i want him. Maybe kapanen pick and prospect could do it with chicago retaining salary for couple of years then leafs can buy him out . Leafs also after vatanen, so would be intrested to see which one they want, but either way yeah i think seabrook will be gone and prob hossa as well

Dobber Sports Stud

Define "key piece"

This'll probably turn out being a 4th line Winger getting 7 minutes a game getting moved.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Fearless -borderline reckless forecast- Panarin and a massive salary dump to vegas- maybe picks involved as lv can easily be replaced. Everyone knows chi and lv were talking salary dump with kruger for tvr. What if things escalated and the knights thought tbey could use two or maybe even 3 deals worth of cap relief off the hawks hands? Theyve said theyre willing to make a handful of deals like that already. If chi ago really has moved on from panarin (I did not know that ftr) tbis would make sense for them and tbey get a chance to re-structure a cap situation that is way out of hand. On lvs side they get a cornerstone superstar to build on instead of three of three or four smaller upgrades.

Shep and Panarin would get my ass in a seat if I lived there...

Edit: also still spitballing but if they got this done before free agency it sends a clear message to players and other gms that theyre ready to play ball..
    Zawaski and his cohost suggested and enthusiastically supported a straight-up Panarin for Vegas #1 pick (#6). That is an awful trade especially in this lackluster draft. McDonough better not push for that since the the draft is in Chicago. Reports were he wouldn't trade this year's #1 pick because they are hosting the draft.

Seabrook has a full NMC till 2021.

The Great One

Zawaski and his cohost suggested and enthusiastically supported a straight-up Panarin for Vegas #1 pick (#6). That is an awful trade especially in this lackluster draft. McDonough better not push for that since the the draft is in Chicago. Reports were he wouldn't trade this year's #1 pick because they are hosting the draft.
    So im not good at constructing these but heres my (very rough( stab.

Ill caveat this by saying i dont think vegas coughs up their 1st. This is an historic draft and i expect them to keep it or even move up.

Im going to use an eberle reference - which will infuriate people but bear with me. Apparently the ask for him is a 2nd and a solid roster player. I know Panarin has much higher value right now but ebs has scored panarin like numbers few times now. In fact we dont even know if panarin scores panarin numbers wo kane. What it does tell us though is that scoring wingers have a little less real world value in the nhl.

So what if you took that 2nd as a base? Yes panarin will be more highly coveted- but if LV could absorb kruger and maybe one other bad contract that has to have much more value to chicago (read: salary cap hell)- than a solid roster player.

If chicago can send any later picks back depending on the brutality of the 3rd contract theyd be taking on- vegas would be all over it- as those picks will be legit currency as they wheel and deal on draft day.

I dont think LV minds losing a 2nd - theyll be drowing in picks after expansion. If the hawks dont think panarin is the fit they need especially after his playoffs- then they suddenly have a zhit ton of capspace in a market that has zero difficulty attracting free agents.

I figured they started talking this direction - what if things escalated?

Panarin, Kruger, another anchor contract, pote tial depth picks
    For
    2nd rounder

I know im way out in left field here but the shoe seems to fit:

Chicago- out of cap hell for the first time ever with a bonus 2nd (early one too)

Vegas- Potential superstar/face of the franchise- and a great fit with their topline c (on paper ) and maybe some depth picks tfor mcphee to wbeel and deal with.

I know its tinfoil. Just getting caught up in expansion fever I guess