Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vegas ready to deal before expansion draft

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Vegas ready to deal before expansion draft

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    You mention "one of several really good young ones" and then list three so-so prospects who may or may not become full-time NHL goalies? OK, Grubauer is an NHL goalie but I'm not so sure he can become a starting goalie. The other two have shown nothing really to make them "really good".
    I suppose one person's "really good" is not the same as another person's "really good".
    I suppose maybe I shouldn't have used "really".
    I shall concede that I didn't select every word in what I typed so well.
    I shall try harder to get every single word I select more perfect.
    I apologize. Thank you for correcting.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I like the analysis but as I understand it this can be accomplished much simpler.

My understanding is Vegas can take picks to give teams additional protection slots.
    McPhee was quoted by hockey news saying:

1. Pittsburgh protects Murray and offers Vegas an xx round pick to protect MAF.- Vegas accepts.
    2.Pittsburgh goes 7-3-1 and exposes Maata, Maata is selected.

MAF never leaves the Penguins roster. Same result, MAF need not waive NMC, so in that way its a simpler mechanism.
    Actually, I don't know if its simpler, both require a "side deal" in that Pittsburgh has to agree to go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4, not sure if that's allowed.
    I wonder how they will word these ''pre-deals''? I know there is no chance this happens but imagine if most of it is verbal and Vegas goes and selects the player that they were supposed to overlook
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I suppose one person's "really good" is not the same as another person's "really good".
    I suppose maybe I shouldn't have used "really".
    I shall concede that I didn't select every word in what I typed so well.
    I shall try harder to get every single word I select more perfect.
    I apologize. Thank you for correcting.

I'm just saying that I'd rather have Fleury because none of the young goalies who are available are sure things. There are 5-6 decent ones available to consider and maybe one of them can become a starting goalie but even that's unlikely in my opinion, so I'd rather take the guy who is already there. Unless of course Pens make an offer you can't resist.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Back to the original topic, I can't figure out who that player could be. Rick Nash makes sense but are the Rangers desperate enough? I think they have enough cap space to re-sign Zibanejad and the depth players they need. Nash only has one year left.

Maybe they're overselling the "pretty significant big name player" and it ends up being someone like Dustin Brown or Brooks Orpik. To me, that seems like the more likely scenario. With players who are actually "pretty significant big name players", you don't usually need to give good draft picks to get rid of them.

Dobber Sports Titan

The Fleury idea makes a lot of sense, as does Hossa and Nash. They specified Name/Brand value, but not on ice value, so it's a bit up in the air with that. I mean with name recognition it could be someone like Luongo or Jagr. That would certainly be an interesting twist.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Jagr's a UFA, so we can scratch him...

in term of declining players with large cap hits... Corey Perry should receive mention.

Dion Phaneuf as well should be added.

if Luongo went to VBN he'd play out his contract for sure. Need to cover his gambling expenses (heh)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

Why would Fleury want to do anything to help the Penguins?

I can't see him waiving his no movement clause especially with the Pens treated him this playoff run. He had one not great game and the Penguins replaced him with Murray and let him continue to start even though he's had much worse games than Fleury. Fleury's going to force the Penguins to buy him out so he can sign any where he wants to and earn two paychecks.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

I can't see him waiving his no movement clause especially with the Pens treated him this playoff run. He had one not great game and the Penguins replaced him with Murray and let him continue to start even though he's had much worse games than Fleury. Fleury's going to force the Penguins to buy him out so he can sign any where he wants to and earn two paychecks.
    That's unlikely.

Look, whether Fleury should or shouldn't force Pittsburgh to buy him out is irrelevant. It's not his style. He cares far too much his legacy in Pittsburgh to screw over the team.

I also do not think he will be on the team next season. Pittsburgh isn't going to keep him on the team. They did it for this season, but eventually the starter/backup thing becomes an untenable situation. We've reached that point. Some one will want him, he will want to leave, and they will trade him.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Great point, this would allow for him to control his own destiny and play where he wants.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Great point, this would allow for him to control his own destiny and play where he wants.
    And presumably he'd only waive his NMC if he had a say in where he wound up?

So the question really comes down to this: does MAF force a buy-out and collect two pay cheques? Or does he waive his NMC and facilitate a trade to help Pittsburgh out? I can't say I know MAF well enough to answer this question.

My guess is the trade route UNLESS there is nobody willing to take him and guarantee him a number 1 spot.

It's all still very fluid to me.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I wonder how they will word these ''pre-deals''? I know there is no chance this happens but imagine if most of it is verbal and Vegas goes and selects the player that they were supposed to overlook
    I'm sure the teams will be smart enough to get it in writing. If not, and Vegas goes back on their word, they get a lot of ill will from other GMs and would make it tougher on themselves for future deals.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'm sure the teams will be smart enough to get it in writing. If not, and Vegas goes back on their word, they get a lot of ill will from other GMs and would make it tougher on themselves for future deals.
    Again, as I've mentioned before, all deals have to be registered with NHL central registry like any other trade.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Lots of possibilities but keep in mind MAF doesn't have a full no-trade clause. He must provide a list of 18 teams he can be traded to per capfriendly. Thus, the Penguins can still play hardball somewhat and say "look it's been a good run but we're moving on, work with us and we'll try and land you somewhere you want to play, stonewall us and we'll dump you to any team before the expansion draft."

There is a big difference in my mind between a player who can literally no longer play in the NHL, and a cap strapped team straight up pays another team to take on i.e. Bickell to Carolina, and a solid, usable NHL player who is overpaid i.e. MAF. IMO one of those 18 teams will take him for nothing i.e. a 5th round pick and the Penguins will be able to give him away before they have to buy him out and pay him not to play (and take a cap hit accordingly).
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ace

Plenty of significant names not earning their worth, the list gets pretty small when it also requires a pretty significant pick to be included...

Love it, watch this space!
    Not THAT hairy, honest!