Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vegas ready to deal before expansion draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Vegas ready to deal before expansion draft

According to ESPN Golden Knights are ready to deal before expansion draft

And from BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Vegas is ready to deal.

George McPhee, the expansion Golden Knights' general manager, had such a busy week of trade talks at the NHL's pre-draft combine in Buffalo that he anticipates formally announcing several trades within the next few days.

McPhee's objective is stockpiling draft picks, and he didn't rule out acquiring them in exchange for players with high-priced contracts from teams experiencing salary-cap issues.

Also Pierre McGuire was on TSN1200 Ottawa last week saying-

"Based on what I have been told I think Vegas made a deal yesterday with a pretty significant big name player involved but I think the team giving up the big name player is going to have to give up a pretty significant draft pick (not for this draft for a future draft)."

"Based on the player that I know should be going there....I think the roster's going to be better than people think....I think they are going to have some name brand recognition"

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Vegas ready to deal before expansion draft

Interesting!!!

Eberle??

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Interesting!!!

Eberle??
    Eberle doesn't seem to me like the type of guy who would make Vegas's roster better than people think, nor the type of guy who would give them some name brand recognition.

Also, Eberle isn't a guy you would have to trade away a significant draft pick in order to rid yourself of.

I'm guessing it is someone more interesting. But who....?

Zach Parise? Marian Hossa? Rick Nash? Dustin Brown?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Eberle doesn't seem to me like the type of guy who would make Vegas's roster better than people think, nor the type of guy who would give them some name brand recognition.

Also, Eberle isn't a guy you would have to trade away a significant draft pick in order to rid yourself of.

I'm guessing it is someone more interesting. But who....?

Zach Parise? Marian Hossa? Rick Nash?
    I just guessed Eberle because there was rumours this weekend about trade offers for him.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm thinking Nash if it's a big name player, and Vegas is getting a pick with it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Hmmmm, 1 player, eh? If it was 2 ''big names'' I could have seen a deal where they would take the Sedins (baring they accept) to make a marketing splash, but 1 name where McGuire says that they are going to have some name brand recognition is puzzling based on Vegas getting a top-pick on top of the said player...

I mean, which team NEEDS to get rid of a name player badly enough to give a 2018 top-pick? Maybe Dallas with Niemi, but he's not a ''big name''... Montreal with Plekanec, but again, not a big name...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

The Great One

SAYING one is ready to deal and BEING ready to deal are often quite different. Messaging like this often has many layers to it.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Icon

Brown or Ryan...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Brown or Ryan...
    Both Brown and Ryan have limited no-trade to selected teams lists. Since Vegas is a new team, I assume it won't figure on their lists. If their respective teams expose them, I'm pretty certain Vegas would jump on them since the other options would be less enticing meaning LA and Ottawa wouldn't need to pony up the extra pick, right?

I guess if they want to guarantee them out, it makes sense though...

EDIT: looking back on it, I think LA would have to give something extra for Brown and the same goes for Ryan considering the D-men exposed by each team... Could make sense Finny
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Guru

This sounds a lot like Marc-Andre Fleury to me. A big-name player, and Pittsburgh would have to give up a draft pick so Vegas doesn't take Murray instead.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I mean, which team NEEDS to get rid of a name player badly enough to give a 2018 top-pick? Maybe Dallas with Niemi, but he's not a ''big name''... Montreal with Plekanec, but again, not a big name...
    Definitely not Niemi. They have no need whatsoever to give up a pick to get rid of him. Much less a "pretty significant pick". They will just buy him out.

Parise has 8 years left at 7.5mil cap hit and hasn't put up 60+ points in 2 years. I could see Minnesota paying to be rid of him.

Hossa has 4 years left at 5.25mil cap hit and hasn't put up 60+ points in 2 years. I could see the Hawks paying to open up cap space.

Nash has 2 years left at 7.8 mil cap hit and hasn't put up 60+ points in 2 years. I could see the Rangers paying to be rid of him.

Brown has 5 years left at 5.9 mil cap hit and hasn't put up 50+ points in 5 years. I will basically guarantee the Kings would love to pay to be rid of him. lol

If all material facts in the article are true then these guys seem to fit the bill pretty well. Bobby Ryan does too, hadn't thought of him. Less brand name value with Brown and Ryan than with Parise, Hossa and Nash, though.

Edit: Yes, Fleury fits the bill too. And I think it is fairly likely he is traded to Vegas. Although I would be surprised if Pittsburgh would have to give up a "pretty significant draft pick" to get rid of him. I am sure there must be a team or two out there who would give a late pick or at least accept a late pick to take Fleury off Pitt's hands. He doesn't have a particularly whack contract like some of the guys referenced above do. So in that respect I don't think Fleury is the one being referenced in that particular quote. Also this quote "Based on the player that I know should be going there....I think the roster's going to be better than people think" doesn't seem to apply to Fleury. Goalie is not the position that we think Vegas will be particularly weak at, so them getting Fleury wouldn't make their roster a lot better than people think.

(Obviously there are No Trade Clauses that need to be considered for some of these players, but to hash out the implications would make this post much too long.)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Ovechkin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Ovechkin
    Certainly a ton of brand name value, but again... not a guy you would have to throw in a top pick with in order to get someone to take him off your hands. lol

Dobber Sports Pro

I think the only way LV takes Brown is if the Kings give up 3-5 straight 1st round picks haha

Maybe it'll be Toews. Getting out of that soon to be albatross would be smart. (I am ready for backlash!)

Also I think it be more logical for Eberle over Nash; Hossa (I still think Chi likes him, plus if he retires there's that whole back-diving contract thing no team wants); and Parise ... I doubt LV would want him as they can see him breaking down and not being a game-breaker anymore
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Maybe it'll be Toews. Getting out of that soon to be albatross would be smart. (I am ready for backlash!)
    That thought had crossed my mind too. But I just don't see it happening. Why would Toews waive his full no trade/movement right to go to Vegas? (Same for Hossa I guess)