Thread: Sidney Crosby Concussion

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Sidney Crosby Concussion

As a Crosby owner, seeing how much abuse he has taken these playoffs has me concerned moving forward. Should I consider selling while he's still at/near his peak? So I assume the risk of him taking another earth-shattering hit that will end him for good?

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm almost sure I could get close to anyone I wanted + picks if I decided to trade him. But is it the right time??
    10 Team H2H Baseball- Cats

R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG, XBH
    W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

C: D. Jansen
    1B: P. Goldschmidt
    2B: J. Villar
    3B: E. Suarez
    SS: J. Peraza
    OF: M. Trout
    OF: G. Stanton
    OF: A. Benintendi
    UTIL: G. Springer
    UTIL: J. Gallo
    P: T. Bauer
    P: Z. Wheeler
    RP: T. Glasnow
    RP: K. Maeda
    P: G. Marquez
    P: L. Castillo
    P: S. Bieber
    P: C. McHugh

Bench: J. Profar, T. White, M. Smith, C. Martinez (SP), G. Holland

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Sidney Crosby Concussion

Its absolutely the right time to sell high on him and Malkin, assuming Crosby does well down the stretch and doesn't take scary headfirst into the boards spots like he did last game, he should get you anyone you want.

He is 30 years old next year. His value as near best in the league should still be skyhigh. But we are entering "it could be over at any moment" territory with Sid. Historically, he is due for a production drop based on age alone. Malkin already sees a large value drop because of constant injuries. Sid is in that red flag zone now if he goes down again and is an orange flag as it is. Since he came back so soon and is playing, people are more inclined to brush it off. But get to work on the future now I say.

People tend to want to hold on to these superstars until a visible decline and by then it is too late to trade them for value because others see it too. How many years will people say "Maybe I can get one more run from him" before the stock crashes? You are basically playing who wants to be a millionaire, and you are on the cusp of the final two questions with the option to cash now or be left with nothing.

I would walk at this point, but I understand if others would keep going.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Sage

As always, it depends on the offer. Not sure you will get the sell-high price given the recent injury but shop him and see what sort of return is available.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Clickbait! Haha... I thought there was another Concussion for him... you got me!

As for trading... I took over a team in a league a few weeks back and was able to trade him... glad I got rid of him.

But as a couple have mentioned above... you missed the golden opportunity... now I would wait and hope that either

a) he tears it up the rest of the playoffs
    b) he starts of next season on a tear

If you can be patient and take the risk, I would wait until either of these happens and then trade him. Wait until this recent concussion scare is a little less recent!

Administrator

I'll put my vote down against selling. What I've typically seen over the years is the GM get into the mindset of selling the player and eventually settle for a bad return. Just because it's the "best offer on the table". Essentially the mindset of selling overtakes the mindset of managing the team and trying to win championships. If you really do want to trade him then proceed with caution and make sure you're really doing the right thing for your fantasy team.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'll put my vote down against selling. What I've typically seen over the years is the GM get into the mindset of selling the player and eventually settle for a bad return. Just because it's the "best offer on the table". Essentially the mindset of selling overtakes the mindset of managing the team and trying to win championships. If you really do want to trade him then proceed with caution and make sure you're really doing the right thing for your fantasy team.
    "The mindset" of selling tends to be all wrong. If you are deadset on ejecting a player from your squad, you will no doubt get mediocre return.

However, its Crosby. Instead of notifying the league you are selling him and asking for offers, wait for the usual gaggle of offers for his services to come in organically (Every year, offers for the best players will come regardless of if they are on the block or not) and send counteroffers instead of just declining. Sometimes they go "Wow, he did not just decline, he actually sent a counter" and then they will have to struggle with how much is too much for Crosby as opposed to you struggling with how little to accept.

Notifying the league that you are shopping a player can work against you. Depends on the league. Some leagues it creates bidding wars so its good. But only you know what kind of league you are in.

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Deity

Wrong time to sell Crosby because the other GMs know you are nervous about his concussions. Everyone is nervous about his concussions right now.

Just hang on to him and let the season play out. If you are going to move him, wait until later in the summer when no one is thinking about concussions. If you were worried about concussions and Crosby, you should have traded him long before this.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

The only player I'm for sure trading him for right now is McDavid. Otherwise I also believe you are probably selling a bit low with all the concussion talk.

Obviously if someone is willing to substantially overpay then I take a hard look as well. Format and number of keepers matters tons when dealing a guy like Crosby so be careful.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Deity

I own him in one of my keepers and considered moving him this off-season before all this concussion foolishness, but now I am just going to sit on him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Generally speaking, it's not a great time to put a guy on the block when concussion issues are so front and center.

As to whether it's the right move for your team...we don't have any info on your team or your league. If you are a contender, it probably doesn't make sense. If you are a pretender, then that could be a different story...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Generally speaking, it's not a great time to put a guy on the block when concussion issues are so front and center.

As to whether it's the right move for your team...we don't have any info on your team or your league. If you are a contender, it probably doesn't make sense. If you are a pretender, then that could be a different story...
    My league is a H2H 12 team league, 4 keepers
    G, A, +/- , PPP, S, H
    W, SV%, GAA, SO

The list of players I have to consider keeping are: Crosby, Marchand, Ovechkin, Burns, Murray, and Jones.

Obviously in a keep 4, having one of the best in the game is a HUGE plus. But I will for sure wait until September to see if I get interest in him. The concussion headlines will have died down by then. My league is very active in trading, especially for big names..

I think the list of players I could potentially attain are: McDavid (I know, I'd have to give a lot more than Cros), Kucherov, Tarasenko, Laine . . I'd gun for a Stud RW if possible.
    10 Team H2H Baseball- Cats

R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG, XBH
    W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

C: D. Jansen
    1B: P. Goldschmidt
    2B: J. Villar
    3B: E. Suarez
    SS: J. Peraza
    OF: M. Trout
    OF: G. Stanton
    OF: A. Benintendi
    UTIL: G. Springer
    UTIL: J. Gallo
    P: T. Bauer
    P: Z. Wheeler
    RP: T. Glasnow
    RP: K. Maeda
    P: G. Marquez
    P: L. Castillo
    P: S. Bieber
    P: C. McHugh

Bench: J. Profar, T. White, M. Smith, C. Martinez (SP), G. Holland

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by oilspill23 View Post
    My league is a H2H 12 team league, 4 keepers
    G, A, +/- , PPP, S, H
    W, SV%, GAA, SO

The list of players I have to consider keeping are: Crosby, Marchand, Ovechkin, Burns, Murray, and Jones.

Obviously in a keep 4, having one of the best in the game is a HUGE plus. But I will for sure wait until September to see if I get interest in him. The concussion headlines will have died down by then. My league is very active in trading, especially for big names..

I think the list of players I could potentially attain are: McDavid (I know, I'd have to give a lot more than Cros), Kucherov, Tarasenko, Laine . . I'd gun for a Stud RW if possible.
    You will also have that Murray situation figured out by then. Fleury is fighting to keep his place currently.

McDavid C