Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you weigh?

The Magnificent One

Default Re: How much do you weigh?

Great to read all the successes shared in the past dozen or so posts, and of course to hear the continued progress from the OP.

I chimed in several time earlier ITT, but here again is apublic service announcement from someone who has weighed within 5 pounds of my high school graduation weight (165 pounds - I'm 6 feet 1 inch tall) all my life, and I turned 49 this month. I'm not doing this to brag or suggest I'm better than anyone else because of this - believe you me I have a whole litany of issues that I contend with, but thankfully weight isn't one of them, and here's why.

1) Let's say you were single and actively dating. When you're in your 20s you can probably attract the attention of women also in their 20s. But once you're in your 30s you sort of have to readjust things to go after slightly older women. Think of your diet the same way. Every 5 years I noticed that if I ate the same as I did the previous five years I'd gain weight, so I compensated, usually in terms of reduced snacking and how many meals per week I ate where I didn't focus on calorie intake. I've done that every five years since then, and it's vital. You simply cannot keep eating the same as you age, or you will gain weight. This is the trap that gets so many people.

2) Don't eat within 3 hours of going to sleep. The worst thing you can do is eat and then sleep, since your body will metabolize the food more slowly and leave you more vulnerable to gaining. I start every day with an idea of when I'll go to sleep and ensure I'm done eating at least 3 hours before then.

3) Water is your best friend. It keeps your system going and really does make you feel somewhat full. I drink no less than 100 ounces of water per day, and aim for more.

4) Fiber is your other best friend. If you eat any carbs, make sure they contain at least 3 (preferably more like 4 or 5) grams of fiber per serving since that will keep you full and avoid you falling into the trap of snacking between meals. Also, reading labels to see how many carbs are in something will open your eyes to just how many calories are in foods that you suspected weren't as bad for you as they are.

5) Don't go cold turkey. By that I mean you have to allow yourself room to enjoy food and "cheat" periodically. At 49, what I do now is eat a small breakfast 6 days a week, a small protein and fiber heavy lunch 7 days a week, and a relatively small dinner 5 days a week. One breakfast and two dinners I eat whatever I want.

6) Eat dessert, but make sure it's something with no risk of going overboard. To help scratch your sweet tooth itch, you can have dessert, but be sure to have things in small, discrete quantities. Popsicles are a great example. Halloween sized candies are too. Or just chew some gum.

7) Walk, a lot. Carve out time in your day to walk for 30-45 minutes. Beyond that, park farther away from places than necessary and take the stairs. Going to the gym is great too, but walking seems to be easier for folks to stick to, and it's also great time to think or just clear your head.

That's all I can think of for now. Others should add their thoughts as well - the more advice the better.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Monster

Just finished a work camp, haven't really been focusing on my weight as much as I wanted to. I wanted to walk around more but couldn't since there were so many grizzly bears walking around. Tried to more or less maintain. But I've been back home a few days now and just weighed in.

219.8 lbs. First time I've been uner 220 since 2008. Not much difference from before, I think my previous lowest weight this year was 221 or so but still happy right now lol.

Dobber Sports Icon

Loving these stories from the group.

I'm still maintaining 160 and just past the two-year mark of when I started my current regimen - was at 200.8 at my highest back in August 2017.

For me it's been a combination of:

- Exercise. Walking, that's huge, amazing what 4-5 miles a day does. I'm in Manhattan so luxury for most people since we can walk everywhere. Otherwise it's personal training- combo of weight and cardio, though weights is focused on reps not heavy other than deadlifting (which I think is the greatest single weight-training exercise out there). Recently I started doing way less personal training (saving $$$) and am working with the 8-Fit app, which I'm liking so far - lots of HIIT prgrams tailored to where you are in your progress, and it includes lots of Tabata for example which I love (20s for a given exercise, 10s rest, repeat 8x, then on to next exercise and do the same). Try to do just burpees, at home - do 20s of real burpees, then 10s rest, and do that for 8 times - it's only a total of 2min40s of exercise but man your heart is pumping at the end of it!

- Food. I'm a big believer in time restricted feeding (some call it intermittent fasting, but TRF is the correct designation). For 6, sometimes 7 days per week, I will only eat during the 12pm to 7pm window, and do not eat the other 16-17 hours other than coffee. Not super religious about it, but for me its' been amazing - my metabolism is super high so I can work out even in the mornings without having eaten since the night prior. Beauty is I can pretty much eat anything.

- Mental. Yoga and meditation have helped in ways that I still can't really put my finger on fully, but I know it's true. I can't recommend yoga enough, it's incredible. I've also really enjoyed getting into the Stoicism, in terms of attitude it's been a godsend.

I'm so glad to see everyone focused on health and happiness, they are the most important things, way more than material or financial gain!!!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Just finished a work camp, haven't really been focusing on my weight as much as I wanted to. I wanted to walk around more but couldn't since there were so many grizzly bears walking around. Tried to more or less maintain. But I've been back home a few days now and just weighed in.

219.8 lbs. First time I've been uner 220 since 2008. Not much difference from before, I think my previous lowest weight this year was 221 or so but still happy right now lol.
    Wow, you’ve come a long way dude. Congratulations on the continued success!!!
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Icon

I wanted to walk around more but couldn't since there were so many grizzly bears walking around...
    Jesus, that's quite the impediment to outside exercise!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

The Magnificent One

Great stuff - for all of us who've been following your journey it's wonderful to see you doing so well. Next milestone for you is 10000 forum posts, then onto sub-200 pounds!
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Jesus, that's quite the impediment to outside exercise!
    We were working right by a river, they were constantly roaming around looking for food. Got very close to a bear once but I was near the house thankfully lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Great stuff - for all of us who've been following your journey it's wonderful to see you doing so well. Next milestone for you is 10000 forum posts, then onto sub-200 pounds!
    Thanks Rizzee. I will start plugging away at 10,000 here as well. 200 by new years hopefully

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Holy wow! I’ve lost touch with this thread. I was this weight months ago when you gained traction in your journey. I’m STILL THIS WEIGHT! Need some motivation of my own!

Proud of you stuntman!!!
    Hope you reach your goals very soon! It can be done.
    My Birthday is May 29th. I'll be 45 this year.

Last year on May 29th, I weighted the heaviest I've ever weighted at 231lbs. 5'11" on a fairly study frame. Clearly not much changed late June last year.
    In November My family and friends of family went to Cuba. when reviewing beach pics of the trip, I was less than impressed with what I saw.

Jan 1, 2020 I decided it's time to change things up. I have an end goal to be in the best shape I can remember by my 45th birthday.
    Switched my Lunch Strategy. Started Walking. Started losing
    Come Feb 1... I saw 222lbs and thought...hmmm, maybe I CAN do this.

It's now April 23.
    Still strict lunch regiment and lowered calories over all... and also trying not to eat 3 hours before bed (Someone earlier gave that advice) and trying to walk 10-20km's / day (This isolation has certainly helped) and Ive cut out alcohol for the past month, I'm now seeing 200.2 on the scale for the past 3 days.

I have a goal to crack 200lbs at which time i'd love to hit 195 which I think is a more than optimal weight range for my frame and body mass.

I found the traction i needed (Thankful I found that traction before lock down) and I give a little of that motivation or, at the very least the spark which lighted my flame to you Stuntman! Thank you!

All the best to you!

(oh... and the wife seems pretty happy... in more ways than 1)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Last year on May 29th, I weighted the heaviest I've ever weighted at 231lbs. 5'11" on a fairly study frame. Clearly not much changed late June last year.
    In November My family and friends of family went to Cuba. when reviewing beach pics of the trip, I was less than impressed with what I saw.

Jan 1, 2020 I decided it's time to change things up. I have an end goal to be in the best shape I can remember by my 45th birthday.

It's now April 23.
    Still strict lunch regiment and lowered calories over all... and also trying not to eat 3 hours before bed (Someone earlier gave that advice) and trying to walk 10-20km's / day (This isolation has certainly helped) and Ive cut out alcohol for the past month, I'm now seeing 200.2 on the scale for the past 3 days.

I have a goal to crack 200lbs at which time i'd love to hit 195 which I think is a more than optimal weight range for my frame and body mass.

I found the traction i needed (Thankful I found that traction before lock down) and I give a little of that motivation or, at the very least the spark which lighted my flame to you Stuntman! Thank you!

All the best to you!

Love to hear this kind of stuff! Way to put in the time and effort - it takes way more effort to lose weight than it does to put it on, especially as you get older! Keep doing what you're doing, it's clearly working! Well deserved congrats on hitting your goals.

Administrator

Great story!

One quick tip: I wouldn't focus on the weight number too much. How do you know 195 is optimal? Maybe it's 185, or 175. Keep doing the right thing and let your body do its thing. Don't stop at 195!

When I did my weight loss years ago I initially thought I'd hit around 180 or 190 and that would be the end. I thought I was more of a "wide frame" and turns out I'm closer to a swimmer's build. I eventually hit 160, which turned out to be too low (didn't feel good) and found a good spot at 165. Now I think my "ideal" sweet spot is around 170 due to having more muscle than I had a few years ago. I'm currently 175, so a bit of work to do.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Ill add to this thread as well.

After weighing myself today, i have lost a total of 75lbs since Oct 1 of 2018. I went from 260 to 185 in that time frame, went from a 42 to 32 in pants size. i was in terrible shape, couldnt sleep, just had a baby girl and decided the heck with this, enough of the excuses, just do it. So i decided to wake up super early (4 am), hit the gym and learn how to train/lift weights with a purpose. I trained 5-6 times a week following AthleanX programs, stuck to the basic principals of CICO (Calories In vs Calories Out) and never made anymore excuses. my motivation was and still is seeing my daughter grow up. oh and BTW, i turn 51 in a few months...

Off to have a few Tree House DIPAs tonite!!

Cheers to all

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post

After weighing myself today, i have lost a total of 75lbs since Oct 1 of 2018. I went from 260 to 185 in that time frame, went from a 42 to 32 in pants size. i was in terrible shape, couldnt sleep, just had a baby girl and decided the heck with this, enough of the excuses, just do it. So i decided to wake up super early (4 am), hit the gym and learn how to train/lift weights with a purpose. I trained 5-6 times a week following AthleanX programs, stuck to the basic principals of CICO (Calories In vs Calories Out) and never made anymore excuses. my motivation was and still is seeing my daughter grow up. oh and BTW, i turn 51 in a few months...

Cheers to all
    Amazing

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

This is awesome to hear. Be super proud man. It is a great accomplishment. Work camps can often be an exercise regime themselves.. heh.

Keep going. You've now turned your exercise into a habit. And a good one!
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

It's now April 23.

All the best to you!

Love this!
    It doesn't sound like you had to make massive changes. Which is great. It makes it all the more sustainable moving forward.

Well done.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers to all
    Wicked man. Keep it up. You're crushing it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    One quick tip: I wouldn't focus on the weight number too much. How do you know 195 is optimal? Maybe it's 185, or 175. Keep doing the right thing and let your body do its thing. Don't stop at 195!
    A couple of years ago, when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I got to see a nutritionist to help me with my diet and advise on good/better food choices. What Eric says is exactly what she told me, don't focus on your weight too much. She wanted me to focus on the blood work numbers more than the weight scale. Her mantra was all about making any dietary changes sustainable and not falling back into bad habits (unconscious eating - sit in front of the TV with a bag of chips and stuff my face type of thing). Moderation and consistency (along with medication) has brought my blood work numbers down significantly. Still have a ways (haha, weighs) to go with my weight though.

Cheers to all
    Great story, thanks for sharing! What the heck are Tree House DIPAs!?
    Last edited by The Comish; June 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM.