Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The new parent advice thread!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: The new parent advice thread!

Thanks all. Right now just taking it all in and trying to survive. It's pretty overwhelming especially when even the hospital nurses and lactation consultants all have different ways of feeding.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Yeah - and don't feel bad if you or your wife decides that breastfeeding isn't for you (guys).
    There's a bunch of stuff out there that intonates the breastfeeding is best for the baby. (I believe studies suggest it slightly is... and it's way cheaper... but there's stress for the mother).
    My wife has small breasts and was very self-conscious when neither baby latched and fed well.
    (We were told that size of breast isn't a determining factor for production.. but I can/could empathize with a small-breasted woman struggling to feel that she has adequate body for mothering...)
    So we made decision to do formula early on for both.
    [This, of course, after spending $150 or so on a breast-pump that wasn't comfortable/didn't work for my wife.]

Formula DOES get expensive... so if you go that route - get a buddy that is part of Costco or Sam's Club or something to be ready to order cases and cases for you.
    (By the end of formula... you will have spent in the thousands on that stuff... likely.)
    At first, the bottles are small and the hospitals are given tons of free samples from the major formula companies to get you comfortable/hooked on a certain brand of formula.
    Then it becomes your drug - you are too afraid to switch and stay with the expensive stuff because your baby seems healthy on what the hospital sent you home with.

Other advantage of formula is that either parent can prep and feed, whenever.
    Man... I forgot all that stress... that was my wife's first, real, parent-let-down/failure feeling... led to some massive "baby blues" for her... tough road...
    It was a lot easier when we got to kid#2 and headed straight to formula without the guilt of "we aren't doing the natural thing".

Dobber Sports Jedi

if there's a 'latching' issue - don't be afraid to use a nipple guard.
    Nurses, consultants will push you away from it, but if it helps w/ breastfeeding - then who cares?
    It's a temporary aid until the child can better latch without.

my parenting philosophy is do what works - regardless of what any book or anyone else says.

#itsallaboutsurvival
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

My wife works in medicine, and they're really preaching the "fed is best" now. Breast is best was a successful marketing campaign, but it can be harmful because of the guilt and unease it puts on using formula.
    Do what you need to to keep the baby healthy, everything else is secondary. At least that's what I keep getting told
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    My wife works in medicine, and they're really preaching the "fed is best" now. Breast is best was a successful marketing campaign, but it can be harmful because of the guilt and unease it puts on using formula.
    Do what you need to to keep the baby healthy, everything else is secondary. At least that's what I keep getting told
    Agreed. My wife couldnt produce enough milk to satisfy our daughters wants. As P7 mentions upthread, it was a stressful time to say the least.

Its the same with a pacifier. Some say dont use it, it may confuse the baby. I say bull#$%

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Agreed. My wife couldnt produce enough milk to satisfy our daughters wants. As P7 mentions upthread, it was a stressful time to say the least.

Its the same with a pacifier. Some say dont use it, it may confuse the baby. I say bull#$%
    Nothing wrong with formula. There's a huge push by nurses, docs and consultants to go breast but same here, wife could not produce enough milk. Such a stressful couple of weeks of pumping nothing and feeling guilty. We had enough and went to formula and it was the best thing for us. Then we didn't hesitate for #2. Block out the noise and go with what works along with what is best for the baby. Formula was great since anyone can feed, you can go anywhere and it's easier plus you can leave the baby with the grandparents and not worry. But its whatever works.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

Baby was born really early this morning and weighing in at just under 8 pounds.

Her and mom are both healthy, and for the first time since the birth they're sleeping at the same time.

It is stressful, wonderful, and life-changing already
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Wolverine

Her and mom are both healthy, and for the first time since the birth they're sleeping at the same time.

Congrats!

Dobber Sports Deity

Congratulations ole buddy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Awesome, man. The best and toughest ride of your life is ahead.

Dobber Sports Stud

Congratulations!!
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    My wife has small breasts and was very self-conscious when neither baby latched and fed well.
    (We were told that size of breast isn't a determining factor for production.. but I can/could empathize with a small-breasted woman struggling to feel that she has adequate body for mothering...)
    Breast size isn't a factor in production. It's the breasts glandular tissue that produces the milk, not the fatty tissue. As long as the small breast size is not related to hypoplastic breasts, there shouldn't be an issue. May need to feed more often due to reduced storage, but production is the same.
    For latching type of nipple plays a factor.

But yes... like others have said do what works. The best way is the way the baby is the healthiest In my opinion anyway.
    Oh and congrats EB!!! Very exciting time for you!
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Icon

Congratulations EB!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Thanks all!

Dobber Sports Genius

Congrats and enjoy! Take it all in.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent