Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's next for Connor Hellebuyck?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default What's next for Connor Hellebuyck?

I actually think he was OK this season. Finishing with around a .905 SV% in his first year of being WPG's bona fide go-to goaltender, on a young team, isn't bad. It wasn't great either though.

What will his role be next year? Will they keep him in the 1A position with Hutchinson? Will he be able to take a step forward or is he under too much pressure? What does he need in your opinion to reach the next (legitimate starter) level?

I think he's still capable of being a top starter for a long time. Carey Price had a lot of consistency and confidence issues at this point in his career. Not saying Hellebuyck is on a trajectory to be the next Price, but there's a lot of room to grow.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: What's next for Connor Hellebuyck?

what's next? a summer of fishing & sun... maybe a lot of golf, not sure his hobby preference. He'll be the #1 in Wpg next year. Hutchy though... meh, I'd rather sign a back up to replace him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    what's next? a summer of fishing & sun... maybe a lot of golf, not sure his hobby preference.
    This had me chuckling, good one.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Deity

Lets wait and see what happens at the expansion draft and then what the Jets do in the off-season before we start talking about Hellebuyck next year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Lets wait and see what happens at the expansion draft and then what the Jets do in the off-season before we start talking about Hellebuyck next year.
    Are you implying the Jets will protect Hutchinson over Hellebuyck? Because that's crazy talk...
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Master

The Jets are going to protect Hellebuyck unless there is some locker room issues we don't know about. Maybe he is the next Tyler Seguin...kidding.

I think they will bring in a more experienced backup, but Hellboy will be the starter.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Agree with Bottlenecker here - 1a again but with a higher expectation as I'm not sure Maurice survives another non play off season
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Are you implying the Jets will protect Hutchinson over Hellebuyck? Because that's crazy talk...
    I thought Hellebuyck was exempt and that the Jets signed Hutch to that 2-year deal so they could comply with the requirement of exposing at least one goalie. But a quick look on capfriendly.com has taught me that I was wrong.

Hellebuyck is on an ELC, so I'm not sure why he wouldn't be exempt...
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

The Great One

Exempt or not there is no way the Jets expose him...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Of course not. The main reason the Jets signed Hutch to the two-year deal was so they had a goalie to expose in the expansion draft.

What I am saying is lets wait until the dust settles from the expansion draft and what the Jets do in the off-season before we start trying to determine whats next for Hellebuyck. The Jets are still a rebuilding team and Hellebuyck should be a big part of that going forward (although I am one of the few around these parts that truly believes that Eric Comrie is the best goalie in the Jets system) but there's still a lot of work to be done for the Jets before we will start to see Hellebuyck put together more consistent seasons. He's still a young goalie who's developing.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Really needs to work on that glove hand. If he can get that shored up and the WPG D makes some improvements I could see him getting back up to .915ish save% and 25-30 wins on 45-50 starts. Not counting on him as anything more than a spot starter for my fantasy team next year... but would love a pleasant surprise.

I could also see WPG bringing in a more accomplished goalie on a 2-3 year deal and letting Hellboy take a back seat. Wheeler and Byfuglien aren't getting any younger.

The Great One

What's embarrassing about his glove hand? That he holds it low? Let's be fair if it was that much of an issue he wouldn't have gotten this close and don't forget we have seen some flashes... For me his weaknesses are more mental than technical

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    What's embarrassing about his glove hand? That he holds it low? Let's be fair if it was that much of an issue he wouldn't have gotten this close and don't forget we have seen some flashes... For me his weaknesses are more mental than technical
    Just seems like he misses too many glove saves, and opponents have learned this and tend to attack him there. I'm saying this based only on my own eye test, not any empirical numbers. I'm no goalie expert so maybe I am off base.

Note: Removed the word "embarassing". Maybe that was a bit strong.

Dobber Sports Ace

Remember when Corey Crawford supposedly had issues with his glove hand, too? He'll make the necessary adjustments, if needed.

The Great One

As Tobias said... He's got this far with it but he's still developing...