Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Steve Mason Underrated?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Is Steve Mason Underrated?

He's maybe an average goalie. He's done nothing to create an argument he's underrated. He's never lead his team to the playoffs or through a first round series even. In fantasy circles. I'll target him in later rounds as a 3rd goalie option. But only if someone stole Mike Smith as my late round option
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Hah. I'll admit I am presently biased a bit in the other direction because he was great for me in the playoffs this year and pretty much single-handedly secured my advance from the 1st to 2nd round with his road win in Pittsburgh on a Sunday night.

I am a definite contender next year and trying to pick 3 keepers between:
    Vasilevskiy (1% of salary cap) - Definite Keeper
    Bishop (6% of salary cap)
    Hellebuyck (2% of salary cap)
    Mason (1% of salary cap)

So that is why I am asking what people think about Mason. Probably can't make a decision until I know where Bishop and Mason go in the offseason and whether Hellebuyck gets some serious competition.
    From an upside and cost standpoint, Hellebuyck is the easy choice IMO.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    But only if someone stole Mike Smith as my late round option
    Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    he is in the 20-30 range
    Comments like these reinforce my suspicion that Mason might be underrated lol.

- - - Updated - - -

From an upside and cost standpoint, Hellebuyck is the easy choice IMO.
    I am leaning towards keeping Vasi and Hellebuyck, as well as one of either Bishop or Mason - whoever ends up in a more favorable situation. Bishop I could get more value for in a trade, obviously.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Comments like these reinforce my suspicion that Mason might be underrated lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I am leaning towards keeping Vasi and Hellebuyck, as well as one of either Bishop or Mason - whoever ends up in a more favorable situation. Bishop I could get more value for in a trade, obviously.
    or overrated. smith plays well on a really bad team. mason plays meh on a meh team

Dobber Sports Pro

or overrated. smith plays well on a really bad team. mason plays meh on a meh team
    Speaking of playing well on a really bad team, in 2014-15 Mason had the 3rd best save % of any starter (.928 in 51 games) with a very respectable 2.25 GAA and his team was only able to turn that into 18 wins. That was just two years ago.

Mike Smith hasn't done better than a .916 save% since 2011-12. Since becoming Philly's starter in 2013-14 Mason has had more wins than Smith all 4 years, a better GAA than Smith all 4 years, and a better save % than Smith every year except this year. I could understand if you were saying Smith is the better real life goaltender, but to say you would take Mason in fantasy only if Smith was already off the board sounds ridiculous to me lol.

Love you Luca. <3

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Speaking of playing well on a really bad team, in 2014-15 Mason had the 3rd best save % of any starter (.928 in 51 games) with a very respectable 2.25 GAA and his team was only able to turn that into 18 wins. That was just two years ago.

Mike Smith hasn't done better than a .916 save% since 2011-12. Since becoming Philly's starter in 2013-14 Mason has had more wins than Smith all 4 years, a better GAA than Smith all 4 years, and a better save % than Smith every year except this year. I could understand if you were saying Smith is the better real life goaltender, but to say you would take Mason in fantasy only if Smith was already off the board sounds ridiculous to me lol.

Love you Luca. <3
    If you constantly have to qualify "his numbers were X but the defence sucked", well at some point you stop blaming the defence. Also I meant 10-20, not 20-30 lol.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Love you Luca. <3
    I'm not talking about 4 years ago or even 3 years ago when Arz tanked for McD... I'm talking the past two years and they're pretty similar svpct. Me taking Smith this year as my 3rd literally over Mason was with the expectation Arz took a huge step forward as a team. Had they played some kind of D this year and scoreda bit more, he has more wins. This is kinda like drafting ahighly touted prospect in one year pool, year after year waiting for the breakout and not happening, getting postponed another year. I keep waiting for Arzto jump up the standings like the Oilers/Flames/Leafs did this year… Smithbeing the benefactor of that. Philly didwhat I expected Philly to do this year.

I’m running out of seasons for Smith to be relevant anyway. He’sold as f---. And he ain’t no Jagr.

Mason had a 2.66 & .908 svpct this year, 2.51; .918 lastyear
    Smith had 2.92 & .914 this year – 2.63 .916 last year –often 3rd goalies come down to preference, home run swings/hunchesmore than anything.

Last two years, they’re pretty much a wash.

Arz. lost 9 straight from Dec 17 toJan 6
    th
    and only scored 3 goals once. Your D takes a beating when that happens,likely inflating his GAA as the D gets hemmed in.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm not talking about 4 years ago or even 3 years ago when Arz tanked for McD... I'm talking the past two years and they're pretty similar svpct.
    Gotcha. I usually look at past few years when drafting, rather than just the previous 2 years. Stylistic difference, that's all.

- - - Updated - - -

If you constantly have to qualify "his numbers were X but the defence sucked", well at some point you stop blaming the defence. Also I meant 10-20, not 20-30 lol.
    I was taken aback by 20-30, but 10-20 is totally fair. I have no problem with that.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Gotcha. I usually look at past 2-3 years when drafting, rather than just the previous year. Stylistic difference, that's all.

- - - Updated - - -

I was taken aback by 20-30, but 10-20 is totally fair. I have no problem with that.
    Subpar teams seem to flip over faster than elite teams, so I'm less likely to go back further with those teams.

Dobber Sports Pro

Subpar teams seem to flip over faster than elite teams, so I'm less likely to go back further with those teams.
    Makes sense I guess. Personally I don't see Arizona being super competitive even in the next year or two, despite how much I love Clayton Keller. But we'll see!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I feel like he's underrated. He can provide good to great numbers in stretches, but I agree with a 10-20 ranking, depending on your goalie cats.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket