Thread: Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"

Dobber Sports Master

Default Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"

I just started reading this book today, and I am tearing through it. It certainly takes a different approach to the fantasy / mythology genre. Has anyone on the forum read it? Without spoiling it, what did you think?
    I also learned that a TV series is coming out too. Here is the trailer if any of you fantasy fans haven't seen it yet:

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"

Really good book, thoroughly enjoyed it as I do most of Gaiman's work. Very excited to see how they translate it to TV.
    10 Team H2H - Points
    Roster: 4C, 3RW, 3LW, 5D, 2U, 3B, 3IR, 4G (Start 2)
    Skater Stats: G(3), A(2), PIM(0.5), PPP(2), SHP(3), GWG(2), SOG (0.1), HITS(0.1), BLKS(0.2)
    Goalie Stats: W(3), OTL (1), GA(-1), SV(0.2), SO(3)

C - Patrice Bergeron, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Bo Horvat, Mathew Barzal, Nathan MacKinnon, Jack Eichel
    RW - Mark Stone, Tler Toffoli, Brock Boeser, Dustin Brown (RW/LW).
    LW -Jonathan Huberdeau, Jake Guentzel, Teuvo Teravainen, Vladislav Namestnikov (LW/RW/C)
    D - Victor Hedman, Roman Josi, Colton Parayko, Mike Green, Nick Leddy, Rasmus Ristolainen.
    G - Carey Price, Scott Darling, Roberto Luongo.
    IR - Cam Talbot, Mika Zibanejad.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oh man, I had picked up a copy of the book on the cheap and haven't read it yet. The trailer has me moving it up to next in my batting order! Never read any Gaiman stuff, so hopefully I enjoy it.

Thanks for posting guys!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Jedi

Gaimen is one of my favourite authors... he also wrote Coraline, basically an animated horror movie for kids. The fact this is a series is amazing. I'm stoked. You will love this book. He's one of the most captivating authors to see in an interview too. Total original. I ripped through "ocean at the end of the lane" in two days.

Gaimen is a true original. One thing I've meant to do is get into his Sandman comic series he did.

American Gods won horror awArds too when it came out. ENJOY.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Gaiman is unreal. That book drew me into his work like crazy. There's another set in the same universe called "Anansi Boys" which is similar in style, but pretty thematically different. He also wrote one of the wittiest books I've ever read with Terry Pratchet (who is another one of my favourite authors) called "Good Omens," which is about the (botched) Christian apocalypse. It's wonderful, and I actually own two copies so that I have one to lend out to my friends. And like Lucafen mentioned, the Sandman graphic novel series (no relation to the Spiderman villain) is also incredible.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont read much at home, more when I am away for work, but this trailer looks interesting. I had to go look up where i knew the main character from as I had seen him somewhere else (it was from The 100 btw). Then I saw the rest of the cast. Certainly some interesting people in this show like Dane Cook, Gillian Anderson, Crispin Glover to name a few and of course, Ian McShane who is awesome.

I may not read the book but the tv show has peaked my interest. Thanks!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Probably not going to be reading the book; at least not anytime soon, but it will definitely push me to get Starz. I was debating adding the channel to my current TV package... now I'm pretty convinced I will
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great book and I had a similar experience of just burning right through it. It was really like nothing else I had read and I have no idea how a TV show will do it justice.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    He's one of the most captivating authors to see in an interview too. Total original. I ripped through "ocean at the end of the lane" in two days.
    Downloaded a preview of this last night on my Kobo and so far, I liked it. Different vibe to it and easy to push through. Thanks Bottle and fellas for the reading suggestions.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'd recommend it for sure. It's my favorite of his novels that I've read up to this point. If you like it, you should probably pick up "Anansi Boys" as well, although as has been pointed out, that one is more of a mix of fable and black comedy. "Neverwhere" is also a good read.

Gaiman has a new book, "Norse Mythology", which I'll grab as soon as it's in paperback.

RETIRED

The Great One

Favorite author- favorite book- was thrilled to see threAd about it. Without spoiling it- its genius. Baldr. Odin is so good. Ive read it about six times and bought and given out at least 10 copies. Check out the website to see the speculation about which character is which god- adds an extra dimension. Most people get into gaiman with sandman- but I got hooked through his novels- american gods and neverwhere. The short story he does with the cave and the leprechaun is abaolutely brilliant too...

EDIT: The truth is a cave in the black mountains- so good. Hes a gift for all of us.

Dobber Sports Ace

That looks AMAZING!!!
    And terrifying. I think Big Baby just pooped himself
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Ninja

Interesting read. A little outside what I normally read, but I did enjoy the book. I don't know that I would go out and get another Gaiman book based on this one even though I did like what I read. I will definitely watch for that to see how it translates from the book to TV. Odds are bad that movies/TV turn out better than the books though.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Interesting read. A little outside what I normally read, but I did enjoy the book. I don't know that I would go out and get another Gaiman book based on this one even though I did like what I read. I will definitely watch for that to see how it translates from the book to TV. Odds are bad that movies/TV turn out better than the books though.
    The show is actually pretty good. Very stylish indeed haha

The Great One

Lol- I came screeching in hear to see if season two had started