Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: McGregor & Mayweather... HERE WE GO!!!

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: McGregor & Mayweather... HERE WE GO!!!

It really should be MMA if there proving who's the better fighter boxing is just one dimension of fighting and if you want to see who would win in a one on one street fight then it has to be MMA.

- - - Updated - - -

It really should be MMA if there proving who's the better fighter boxing is just one dimension of fighting and if you want to see who would win in a one on one street fight then it has to be MMA.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This just shows a lack of understanding of boxing TBH. Not to mention Floyd doesn't win with power. He wins with defensive boxing and scores points to win in a decision. He's not ever going to try and win with a knockout. He'll play defense the whole fight, never take any risks, doesn't matter how much he hurts McGregor, and will win by decision, like he does in all of his fights.
    I am very familiar with boxing, its rules and even how Mayweather wins most of his bouts. My point was to show that McGregor's advantage will be to TAKE a hit while being able to dish one out. Weather Mayweather plays it safe or not (I doubt he will in this type of fight), McGregor will pounce at him and he just needs ONE hit to knock him out.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    That's really not at all what boxing is about.

But if we're talking about who would win in a street fight, MMA isn't the answer either. Tell me what street fight you've watched where dude's score take downs and then go for the scissor lock to win the fight.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Sorry if I sound naive here but, is this just a boxing match or a free for all, because if McGregor gets him on the mat, Mayweather can't box himself out that can he? If its just boxing, then it could be over in the first minute.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if I sound naive here but, is this just a boxing match or a free for all, because if McGregor gets him on the mat, Mayweather can't box himself out that can he? If its just boxing, then it could be over in the first minute.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Hehe, you don't sound naive. It will most likely be a boxing match; Mayweather can't fight an MMA fight but McGregor can stand his own as a boxer.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

I’d actually laugh if it turned out to be like charity boxing where you have the head protector on lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I?d actually laugh if it turned out to be like charity boxing where you have the head protector on lol.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

What do you mean what boxing is about? It's not about fighting? I am sorry but where in my statement did I explain the in's and outs of boxing. Yes a lot of street fights are just one off punches or a series of drunken flaying however if these two saw each other on the street with there immense training and it was do or die it would look nothing like your average street fight. And unless the boxer could land some solid punches right away I would think the MMA fighter would win.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean what boxing is about? It's not about fighting? I am sorry but where in my statement did I explain the in's and outs of boxing. Yes a lot of street fights are just one off punches or a series of drunken flaying however if these two saw each other on the street with there immense training and it was do or die it would look nothing like your average street fight. And unless the boxer could land some solid punches right away I would think the MMA fighter would win.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Well. Boxing doesn't exist to prove who is the better street fighter. Kinda the point there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I am very familiar with boxing, its rules and even how Mayweather wins most of his bouts. My point was to show that McGregor's advantage will be to TAKE a hit while being able to dish one out. Weather Mayweather plays it safe or not (I doubt he will in this type of fight), McGregor will pounce at him and he just needs ONE hit to knock him out.
    He will play it safe. He always does. His style of fighting is to make other people get behind in scoring, so they have to take risks and he doesn't. Which is exactly how he will win this fight. FWIW, not a chance McGregor has a big enough strike that it will only take one hit to knock Floyd out lol.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Hehe, you don't sound naive. It will most likely be a boxing match; Mayweather can't fight an MMA fight but McGregor can stand his own as a boxer.
    Thanks Bass. I don't know McGregor's background in boxing but Mayweather has to be the heavy favorite here despite the age difference.

I...am your father.

Help me out here.

I have 'average' knowledge of both sports, though I've watched only UFC for the last four or five years and only the one boxing match (where Mayweather showed how great he is at spinning around doing nothing).

But if this is an MMA fight, then Mayweather will get killed, right? Speedy fists don't matter if you're on the mat, right? Unless this is strictly boxing and McGregor isn't allowed to kick or wrestle, then Mayweather is toast. What am I missing here? Why is everyone here saying McGregor will lose?

And besides, Mayweather is 38 and probably rusty. McGregor is in his prime.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Help me out here.

I have 'average' knowledge of both sports, though I've watched only UFC for the last four or five years and only the one boxing match (where Mayweather showed how great he is at spinning around doing nothing).

But if this is an MMA fight, then Mayweather will get killed, right? Speedy fists don't matter if you're on the mat, right? Unless this is strictly boxing and McGregor isn't allowed to kick or wrestle, then Mayweather is toast. What am I missing here? Why is everyone here saying McGregor will lose?

And besides, Mayweather is 38 and probably rusty. McGregor is in his prime.
    It's strictly a boxing match. Mayweather would never agree to anything else. And at 38, Mayweather is still faster than McGregor

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ya, it's always been about McGregor fighting Mayweather as a boxer.

You're right that Mayweather would get destroyed if it was MMA, and everyone knows that, which is why it never gets discussed.

What everyone wants to know is whether McGregor is able to hold his own against a pure boxer. You think about it, it's win-win for McGregor. If he loses, well we all expected that, but if he somehow pulls it out, he's a legend. Mayweather is taking the most risk. If he wins, no big deal, it was expected. If he somehow loses, well, there goes a lot of his credibility.

Either way, the money is what matters to both of them for this fight. This one would be huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, it's always been about McGregor fighting Mayweather as a boxer.

You're right that Mayweather would get destroyed if it was MMA, and everyone knows that, which is why it never gets discussed.

What everyone wants to know is whether McGregor is able to hold his own against a pure boxer. You think about it, it's win-win for McGregor. If he loses, well we all expected that, but if he somehow pulls it out, he's a legend. Mayweather is taking the most risk. If he wins, no big deal, it was expected. If he somehow loses, well, there goes a lot of his credibility.

Either way, the money is what matters to both of them for this fight. This one would be huge.

I...am your father.

Strictly boxing, yeah McGregor is dinner. Why on earth would he agree to that? Would he even last a round? Oy

- - - Updated - - -

Strictly boxing, yeah McGregor is dinner. Why on earth would he agree to that? Would he even last a round? Oy
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Because the most he's ever made in one fight is $8-$10 million, his net worth is $22 million, and he'll probably double that for this fight. Strictly money.