Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Winnipeg starting Pavelec again?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Winnipeg starting Pavelec again?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Hellybuycks current 0.908 sv% is better than Pavelec's career sv%... and is better than four of his last five total season sv%'s (not including this one..where it is also better)

I understand the reasoning of keeping Pavs in there while WPG plays poor d though, but I'd split the starts as perhaps they can score 5 a game for Helly and give him some wins, even if he gives up a Pavelec amount of goals per game (aka 3 goals per game)
    Not saying you are wrong, and that I wouldn't start Helle if I was coaching an NHL team, just trying to explain what's going on.

Also, you can't compare a small sample of Helle's numbers to Pav's career numbers and draw those kinds of conclusions. At the very least you would have to look through Pav's career and determine if there was a period of 35 games where he put up better than a 2.82GAA & 0.908 sv% (which really isn't all that good), before you can make a statement along the lines of 'Helle is currently better than Pav has been for years'.

Makes total sense to start Hell more, maybe even 50-50 and work him him up to a larger %. I'm sure the coach has his reasons, even if we don't think they are good ones.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    Also, you can't compare a small sample of Helle's numbers to Pav's career numbers and draw those kinds of conclusions. At the very least you would have to look through Pav's career and determine if there was a period of 35 games where he put up better than a 2.82GAA & 0.908 sv% (which really isn't all that good), before you can make a statement along the lines of 'Helle is currently better than Pav has been for years'.
    It gets less close if you compare Hellebuyck's career numbers (2.62 GAA & .912 sv%) to Pavelec's (2.86 GAA, .907 sv%). Hellebuyck's 61 games is still a small sample size, sure... but generally wouldn't you expect sub-par performance over one's first 61 games since it is when they are acclimating to a more difficult level of competition?

I realize that this is completely besides the point, but such was certainly the case over Pavelec's first 61 games from 2007-2010, where he put up a 3.33 GAA and .902 save%.

To be clear, I'm not arguing a point anymore or saying that anyone is wrong with their points. I'm just throwing out more stats that I think show that Hellebuyck is already a better goalie than Pavelec, because it makes me feel better about the frustration of him not at least splitting starts lately. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    Makes total sense to start Hell more, maybe even 50-50 and work him him up to a larger %. I'm sure the coach has his reasons, even if we don't think they are good ones.
    This sums it up well.

Dobber Sports Genius

Poo or not, injuries happen, and Pavelec could still get picked up. In my opinion, he's an NHL goalie. Likely not a starter, but he's never had a strong defensive team in front of him, so you never know.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Poo or not, injuries happen, and Pavelec could still get picked up. In my opinion, he's an NHL goalie. Likely not a starter, but he's never had a strong defensive team in front of him, so you never know.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to say that there is no way he gets picked up. I was just saying that most of the league already knows who and what Pavelec is. I doubt that he (or Maurice's sparkling words about him) is going to do anything over the course of the next few weeks to drastically change anyone's minds about his worth, for better or worse.

Dobber Sports Pro

Another vintage performance by Pavelec. Lol

Dobber Sports Padawan

Ondrej Pavelec: Has suffered a lower-body injury and will not return to the game.
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

Dobber Sports Pro

Silly me for thinking he got pulled after letting up 3 goals on 17 shots... Maurice probably would have left him in there for 1 or 2 more if he had the choice.

Edit: And then praised him in the post game, saying how much confidence he gives them.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    Ondrej Pavelec: Has suffered a lower-body injury and will not return to the game.
    What timing!