Thread: Should I trade Price?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Should I trade Price?

you can see in my sig my team and tentative keepers. Its seems to me that goalies while providing a large point production based on our cats + points that even avg goalies still hold their own quite well.

This would not be for this year but to obviously gain a keeper player in return. Should I attempt this or should I look to move Murray instead?
    12 Team Any 4 Keeper H2H 4 Max add per week No Max Starts, Keepers in Bold(undecided on 4th)
    Start: 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4 D, 2 UT, 2G, 4 Bench, 3IR+
    Skaters Points: G-3, A-2, PPP-1, SHP-1 SOG-0.25, PIM-0.5, BLK-0.5 HIT-0.5
    Goalie Points: W-5, Saves-0.2 GA- -1, SHO-3
    C: Bergeron, Kadri, Letestu
    LW: Marchand, Laine, Gagner (w)
    RW: Kucherov, Neal, R. Smith
    D:Petry, Orlov, Green, Markov
    G: Price, Murray, Miller
    IR+:Toffoli, Barkov, Josi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Should I trade Price?

Well, you could move for an elite C or D, but you have the best goalie in the league... that's worth a lot
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev

Dobber Sports Rookie

who would you target? I am new to this type of scoring and having trouble valuing players.

- - - Updated - - -

who would you target? I am new to this type of scoring and having trouble valuing players.
    12 Team Any 4 Keeper H2H 4 Max add per week No Max Starts, Keepers in Bold(undecided on 4th)
    Start: 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4 D, 2 UT, 2G, 4 Bench, 3IR+
    Skaters Points: G-3, A-2, PPP-1, SHP-1 SOG-0.25, PIM-0.5, BLK-0.5 HIT-0.5
    Goalie Points: W-5, Saves-0.2 GA- -1, SHO-3
    C: Bergeron, Kadri, Letestu
    LW: Marchand, Laine, Gagner (w)
    RW: Kucherov, Neal, R. Smith
    D:Petry, Orlov, Green, Markov
    G: Price, Murray, Miller
    IR+:Toffoli, Barkov, Josi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Well, if you say that you can easily find another goalie without sacrificing much points wise, then try shopping for a keeper C or D and keep Murray instead
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev

Dobber Sports Giant

I would keep Price AND Murray along with Laine and Kucherov. I would focus on drafting high scoring forwards along with multi-cat Ds as you would be set in goal; especially in your format.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

Straight points is pretty easy to evaluate.

Compare the player you are losing to who you would replace them with. In this case you would be losing Price and likely replacing him with Murray, so how many more points does Price get than Murray?

Then look at who you would upgrade. Looks like Marchand or Bergeron would be your 4th keeper? Figure out who you would get in return for Price (should be a top flight forward, if not Crosby/McDavid level, just below them) and then determine the difference in points. Whichever ends up being higher is generally the right move.

Obviously you need to account for age and projected performance, but that's generally how I would go about this in a points league.

In this situation, I don't think I would trade Price. He is pretty much the best at the position, so unless I am getting the best at another position that provides me with a big boost in total points, I'm going to hold the best player in a keep 4.

- - - Updated - - -

Straight points is pretty easy to evaluate.

Compare the player you are losing to who you would replace them with. In this case you would be losing Price and likely replacing him with Murray, so how many more points does Price get than Murray?

Then look at who you would upgrade. Looks like Marchand or Bergeron would be your 4th keeper? Figure out who you would get in return for Price (should be a top flight forward, if not Crosby/McDavid level, just below them) and then determine the difference in points. Whichever ends up being higher is generally the right move.

Obviously you need to account for age and projected performance, but that's generally how I would go about this in a points league.

In this situation, I don't think I would trade Price. He is pretty much the best at the position, so unless I am getting the best at another position that provides me with a big boost in total points, I'm going to hold the best player in a keep 4.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I would keep Price AND Murray along with Laine and Kucherov. I would focus on drafting high scoring forwards along with multi-cat Ds as you would be set in goal; especially in your format.
    This is good advice if goalies score proportionally more than forwards.

Again it's looking at the opportunity cost though. How many more points does Murray get you than who you might be able to draft to replace him vs who you would keep and who you could draft to replace them. You're in the best position to evaluate this yourself.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If you're looking to move Price - you need a Crosby/McDavid level return coming back. Crosby 1-1, or even Crosby + .

No fluffy package deals elite stud for elite stud.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    This is good advice if goalies score proportionally more than forwards.

Again it's looking at the opportunity cost though. How many more points does Murray get you than who you might be able to draft to replace him vs who you would keep and who you could draft to replace them. You're in the best position to evaluate this yourself.
    Hehe, well that was why I was suggesting to keep both goalies. If Price or Murray could fetch Crosby or Ovechkin like they do in regular formats, I'd be pushing a trade, but in this case, rather than trade for a lesser player, may as well keep the 2 goalies that will give you the most W's and most likely win you the goalie categories on a weekly basis.

If he had a good forward to replace one of them as the 4th keeper, I would suggest to package him along with a goalie for an even bigger upgrade but as it stands, he is pretty limited with his keepers.

EDIT: you know what, maybe Marchand AND one goalie could give him a good return if the trading team has less than 4 solid keepers to consider...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay