Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fastest skater in NHL history?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Fastest skater in NHL history?

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I'd like to see Dylan Larkin break Gartner's record using the same skates Gartner wore. And getting clocked with the same radar gun. To me giving Larkin that record was akin to giving John Scott MVP. It was basically orchestrated to be so.
    I believe gardner did it when he was In his thirties. well out of his fastest skating days.
    this is why id like each team to send a guy they select for each competition.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Jedi

The record McDavid broke at the all star game was Mike Gartner's... a 36 year old Gartner record... doubt he beats it Gartner at 28.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

ha, I meant to quote doug glatt, not rtstr.
    still works though

- - - Updated - - -

ha, I meant to quote doug glatt, not rtstr.
    still works though
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Recruit

The Russian Rocket is the fastest in NHL history followed by the great Bobby Orr THEN Mcdavid. and what about Paul Coffey? It is clear by these posts everyone hasnt lived lonng enough and knows very little about the greats of all time. Get on Youtube

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Seem to recall lemieux making other skaters look like they were standing still as well.
    Fwds: Benn, Hertl, Backstrom, Coleman, W.Karlsson, Marchand, Mcdavid, Bergeron, A.svechnikov, Malkin, W.Nylander, toffoli.

Dfnse: Deangelo, Fox, Hronek, Ristolainen, Giordano, Letang

Goalie: Samsonov, Binnington

Rsrvs: Radulov, bjorkstrand, buchnevich, krebs, sanford, Grzelcyk, Suter, M.Lehtonen, Severson, Spurgeon, K'andre Miller, Allen, Mrazek, Prosvetov, Vanecek

12-team Keeper. Rotisserie.
    G,A,+/-,Hits,Blks,Pim,Sog,PPP,HT,SHPTS,W,Spct,Gaa,SO,Svs

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ridethesnow View Post
    Seem to recall lemieux making other skaters look like they were standing still as well.
    Bourque just forgot he was playing in the clutch-and-grab era.

I'm not old enough to have watched Gartner but every other player to "beat" him aside from McDavid is a scam. No disrespect to Larkin who is obviously one hell of a skater but its somewhat apples to oranges.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I have some serious doubts that McDavid is the fastest the NHL has ever seen. Pavel Bure was insanely fast and Paul Coffey skating style made it look like he wasn't going 100 mph (wicked stride, no wasted effort). There were likely fringe guys who had wheels, but not the hands or head to play much.

In hockey, quickness is better than being fast, which is why I don't think the one lap of America tells us anything. I want to see how quick a player is from blue line to blue line (acceleration). I would also have them start skating parallel to but behind (within 5 feet) one blue line, then the whistle blows and they take off for the other blue line with the clock starting when they cross the first blue line. I'm sure they could give us how quickly they crossed the center red line and then the opposite blue line. That would be a more usable indication of a player's speed. How often do players get a chance to wind up and skate one lap around the ice during a game...I mean outside of the very frustrating Paul Coffey. He would start behind his net and skate through the entire team, realize he didn't have a good angle to shoot the puck and then he would skate back outside the offensive zone. Seriously frustrating for Oiler fans. He did put up some points though...
    When you talk about Coffey it reminds me of old Orr clips. Bobby would just go out there and dominate everyone with his skating and pull the same moves if the opportunities weren't there. Both were exceptional beyond belief.

Along with any other skill it always has to beg the questions, How good were they compared to their peers, and how good was the training that was available as well as the equipment they had?

If there were some era-adjusted stats for straight ahead speed and agility I wouldn't be surprised to see Gartner at the top.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Icon

McDavid is the fastest skater with the puck in the history of the NHL. There's no comparison. His ability to go from a standstill to top speed is unparalleled either now or in the history of the NHL.

Dobber Sports Jedi

i'd actually like to see a skills competition with the best of the best across the league.

Have all the team skills competitions the week before the AS game.

Then take the top times/speeds/scores from all the skills and bring them to the AS Game.

Best on Best. Just what if there's a #7Dman that shoots as hard as Chara... or a 4th liner that has blazing speed that only the fans of his small market team are aware of.

Getting a few guys in on 900k contracts and giving them the opportunity to win 25k, 50k - might even see players really try.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Connor McDavid is the quickest skater I've ever seen, both in overall speed and acceleration. No doubt in my mind.

Honourable mention in acceleration: Nate Mackinnon and Phil Kessel*.
    Honourable mention in skating at full speed: Gartner for sure but I don't recall him skating with the puck the way McDavid can. Larkin and Hagelin - same thing.

*when he smells a scoring chance, Kessel's acceleration is as good as I've even seen (or at least it was when he was younger... I haven't seen him play as much since he left the Leafs).

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Connor McDavid is the quickest skater I've ever seen, both in overall speed and acceleration. No doubt in my mind.

Honourable mention in acceleration: Nate Mackinnon and Phil Kessel*.
    Honourable mention in skating at full speed: Gartner for sure but I don't recall him skating with the puck the way McDavid can. Larkin and Hagelin - same thing.

*when he smells a scoring chance, Kessel's acceleration is as good as I've even seen (or at least it was when he was younger... I haven't seen him play as much since he left the Leafs).
    No one has looked in more agony on the bench afterward than Kessel either.