Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Dobber MLB Wins Pool

The Wolverine

Default 2017 Dobber MLB Wins Pool

EDIT: We have our 10 entrants. You can visit the draft thread here.

To confirm the general scoring, it's simply picking a team in turn until all teams are chosen. We only count wins and the pool winner is the one with the highest combined total. With 10 entries, we'll each choose 3 teams. Being an odd number of rounds, the first two rounds will be snake-style, and the third will be the same order as the second. Like this:

Confirmed (10)

horrorfan
    hockeyrobot
    Eskimo Brother
    Axeman33
    newfcollins
    2014olympicgold
    TheNugeCooge
    josofosky
    PenguinHunter
    DusterDave

Team Summary

Last edited by horrorfan; March 26, 2017 at 10:37 AM.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Dobber MLB wins pool 2017

I would like to join this year

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm in again. Have to make up for last year's mediocre totals.

I can also probably do updates in Sept depending on how work goes through the summer.

As for the format, I think it depends on how many people we have in the draft, that will dictate any kind of setup. We did have 8 guys in each of the A and B NHL wins pools this year (adding a second of two bottom teams) and I think that has worked decently well. So there is a lot of freedom to however we wish to make it work.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in again. Have to make up for last year's mediocre totals.

I can also probably do updates in Sept depending on how work goes through the summer.

As for the format, I think it depends on how many people we have in the draft, that will dictate any kind of setup. We did have 8 guys in each of the A and B NHL wins pools this year (adding a second of two bottom teams) and I think that has worked decently well. So there is a lot of freedom to however we wish to make it work.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

I'm interested in joining this year.

The Wolverine

Thanks for the interest so far.

As for format, yeah the way the NHL one is done is a possibility, but ideally (for me, anyway), we don't have any duplicate teams. Of course, that's easier said than done given a lack of options. We may not know how many people are interested but we could start thinking of options in case of specific numbers. Also, if we know what would be ideal, we can let people know what we're aiming for.

For those not in the pool last year, the main issue last year was the uneven snake-style draft, since we had 10 entries with 3 teams each. So, the team with the first draft slot had picks 1,20,21, compared to the last slot had picks 10,11 and 30.

Dobber Sports Titan

Anything that gives people an even number of teams owned would be ideal. That way a snake system works. The only two ways to divide 30 by an even number though, is 2 or 6 (meaning 15 or 5 members picking teams). We could also run with 7 entrants and just cut down to 28 MLB teams, or run with the 8 and add the two.
    If we do go with 10 again, then I think flipping the order of the last round would make up for the differences. So first pick would have 1, 20 and 30. Last would have 10, 11, 21. Middles would be 5, 16, 26, and 6, 15, 25. Not a perfect system, but it could work.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything that gives people an even number of teams owned would be ideal. That way a snake system works. The only two ways to divide 30 by an even number though, is 2 or 6 (meaning 15 or 5 members picking teams). We could also run with 7 entrants and just cut down to 28 MLB teams, or run with the 8 and add the two.
    If we do go with 10 again, then I think flipping the order of the last round would make up for the differences. So first pick would have 1, 20 and 30. Last would have 10, 11, 21. Middles would be 5, 16, 26, and 6, 15, 25. Not a perfect system, but it could work.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Good suggestions. The last round flip could work if 10 entrants - definitely better than what we did last year. Personally, in terms of number of teams and pool size, I like having 10 entrants. If not, then 7/8 would work. I think 6 is too small and 15 too much since we'd only have 2 teams each.

Depending on activity I'll periodically refresh this thread to increase exposure, as I'm sure many aren't thinking about baseball now. Given that I opened it up late last year and we still got 10, I wouldn't be surprised getting even more interest.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Good suggestions. The last round flip could work if 10 entrants - definitely better than what we did last year. Personally, in terms of number of teams and pool size, I like having 10 entrants. If not, then 7/8 would work. I think 6 is too small and 15 too much since we'd only have 2 teams each.

Depending on activity I'll periodically refresh this thread to increase exposure, as I'm sure many aren't thinking about baseball now. Given that I opened it up late last year and we still got 10, I wouldn't be surprised getting even more interest.
    Sounds good to me. Thanks for bringing it up early though to get it sorted out!

Dobber Sports Deity

Yep
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Dobber MLB wins pool 2017 (want to join?)

I am in again.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I am in again.
    Good to have you both back on board.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

i would like to join

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Leafschamps View Post
    i would like to join
    Good stuff, welcome!

The Wolverine

With football finishing and baseball spring training not far away, I figured this would be a good time to refresh this thread.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'll snag a spot.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll