Thread: Better own for 2016-17: D.Sedin vs. E. Kane

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Better own for 2016-17: D.Sedin vs. E. Kane

Hey all

Currently leading in my keeper league and I've been trying to get Evander Kane on the books for the rest of the year due to his tremendously low perceived value and the combination of points production, hits and PIMs while playing top minutes with Eichel.

Anyhow, been offered him for Daniel Sedin. It's a keeper but I've managed to harvest a lot of good talents from waivers this year, so I think I'm ready to cut Daniel at the end of the year anyhow. At least Kane would be a rental but who knows, maybe he forces his way onto my roster. Not important anyhow.

Scoring is this: G/A/+-/Shots/PIM/PPP/SHP/GWG/Hits

The reason I'm torn about this trade, despite the obvious benefits Kane has in this format, is that I'm already dominant in the hits category and somewhat competitive in PIMs. Daniel's pacing for about 50-55 points and the Canucks look almost certainly headed for a high draft pick as father time continues to catch up with their two stars. But Daniel is a guy you can set your watch to, gets lots of shots and is always going to be a threat.

Kane however is pacing at about 38-40 points, but the underlying stats (ie. 5v5 team shooting percentage of 4%, PDO of like 960, plus coming back from injury) show he's capable of more. I can't help but feel the two of them may give me a similar amount of points, with Kane tipping the balance on peripherals. Always an injury risk sure, but as long as he's health and ticking come March-April, that doesn't matter. He does seem to be shooting a lot less than usual and the coach is telling him to tone it down and avoid penalties.

Thoughts on who's the better asset for the rest of this year?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Better own for 2016-17: D.Sedin vs. E. Kane

I would definitely cut bait on one dimensional Sedin for multi-cat should be stud Kane

even Sedin`s one dimension is diminishing. I would not feel disheartened to move out Sedin at all. It can be frustrating to see Kane avg 4 shots a game and never score... hopefully someone else starts picking up rebounds and he gets some A`s.

for someone else struggling in hits/shots Kane is easier to move out in a trade as well than Sedin moving forward
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

I would definitely grab E. Kane for that price too. Enjoy the boost in value in fits and spurts.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would make that deal, because Sedin's is going to bring you nothing better than that in a trade. If Kane gets going, he can give you some hot streaks, and you might find that he becomes a useful trade chip, something that Sedin wouldn't.

Worst case, it's a move for this year, and should diversify your production.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Magnificent One

Do the trade. Getting all the better in Hits and PIM will allow you to ransom of a strong player in those categories to those who lag behind.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Kane's shot totals and % are wonky because maybe 1-2 a game are dump in shots on the goalie, he does it regularly so take those "analytics" with a grain of salt. But with Eichel coming back into the lineup and if Kane can stay healthy he will produce, the hits and pims are gravy over what sedin can do on a downward team in Vancouver
    H2H - Keep 3 players + 1 D - 12 teams - 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 4 D, 2 G +bench.

S - G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG
    G - W, GAA, SV%, SO

C - McDavid,Scheifele,
    RW -
    LW -
    D - Reilly
    G -

H2H - Keep 4 players + 1 D - 12 - 3 C, 3 RW, 3 LW, 4 D, 2 G +bench.

S - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HITS, BLKS
    G- W, SV%, GAA, SO
    C- Seguin
    RW-Kane,Marner
    LW-
    D- Hedman
    G- Vasilevskiey

Thanks all. Made the trade and they think I'm nuts - but we'll see

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yeah, it's a good deal. Kane has talent, but a ten cent brain.

Those shots the other poster referenced are just him freelancing a shot for no reason - he's the hockey equivalent of basketball's Nick Young.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.