Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Red Dead Redemption 2?

I just finished chapter 2 and I really don't know if I want to play this anymore.

I like the story, the missions, the graphics and soundtrack, and the gameplay. What I don't like is having to make sure I eat enough of the right things to maintain body weight, having to cook each individual piece of meat (with a goddam animation for EACH F@CKING PIECE), clean your horse, feed your horse, hunt for food for the camp (no one else at camp apparently can do it alone), clean your damn weapons. The hunting is a pain as it is, but then you have to find the right individual animal that has a perfect pelt...my god it's just so TEDIOUS.

If there was some kind of story mode, or arcade mode or something where you could spend time actually playing the game instead of gathering resources and cleaning your goddam gear.

I'm getting tired of these massive, way overly-complicated games. Some do it right and find a balance, but most are just overwhelming and filled with mindless stuff like cooking food. Not to mention taking close to 100 hrs to play. (I also skipped Assassin's Creed last year for the first time ever - Origins was great actually, but I don't like RPG's...and they turned it into one).

Honestly I'm going over the back-catalogue lately trying to find stuff I want to play.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I like the story, the missions, the graphics and soundtrack, and the gameplay. What I don't like is having to make sure I eat enough of the right things to maintain body weight, having to cook each individual piece of meat (with a goddam animation for EACH F@CKING PIECE), clean your horse, feed your horse, hunt for food for the camp (no one else at camp apparently can do it alone), clean your damn weapons. The hunting is a pain as it is, but then you have to find the right individual animal that has a perfect pelt...my god it's just so TEDIOUS.
    This legitimately sounds awful. Like. Nobody is playing video games to repeatedly do menial tasks.

Dobber Sports Genius

I only finished chapter 1 the other day. I'm apprehensive about what I've heard, especially now from you, PD. To some, it was their game of the year, and to others, it became their most disappointing game of all-time (measured against their initial expectations).
    I plan to do as little of the menial stuff as possible (including hunting), and hope that the amount I'm forced into is acceptable in the end... I'd hate to be compelled to drop the game due of these chore-like tasks, because parts of this game are incredible.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I just finished chapter 2 and I really don't know if I want to play this anymore.

If there was some kind of story mode, or arcade mode or something where you could spend time actually playing the game instead of gathering resources and cleaning your goddam gear.

I'm getting tired of these massive, way overly-complicated games. Some do it right and find a balance, but most are just overwhelming and filled with mindless stuff like cooking food. Not to mention taking close to 100 hrs to play. (I also skipped Assassin's Creed last year for the first time ever - Origins was great actually, but I don't like RPG's...and they turned it into one).

Honestly I'm going over the back-catalogue lately trying to find stuff I want to play.
    You don't have to do the majority of these things... I am in chapter 5 and have not hunted for camp once. I also do not donate or anything like that.

Eating is also very simple... just eat anything from time to time. Takes two seconds. Same goes for feeding your horse.. just press a button when his health is low.

Cleaning weapons isn't really a concern for me either, as again it is just pressing a button and waiting 5 seconds and you don't have to do it very often, especially as you get more guns to use.

I agree that cooking is a pain in the ass, but i haven't had to do it that often.

If I'm not doing missions, I am pillaging the frontier like it's Westworld-meets-GTA. I find it quite fun. If you're playing the game to be an "Honorable" Arthur Morgan, I suggest you stop doing so and let your dark side out. Half the time I'm hunting down the bounty hunters that are hunting me.

My main complaint is that some of the missions drag too long, and although the cutscenes are great, I'm trying to play a game not watch a movie. And traveling around can get annoying.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    You don't have to do the majority of these things... I am in chapter 5 and have not hunted for camp once. I also do not donate or anything like that.

Eating is also very simple... just eat anything from time to time. Takes two seconds. Same goes for feeding your horse.. just press a button when his health is low.

Cleaning weapons isn't really a concern for me either, as again it is just pressing a button and waiting 5 seconds and you don't have to do it very often, especially as you get more guns to use.

I agree that cooking is a pain in the ass, but i haven't had to do it that often.

If I'm not doing missions, I am pillaging the frontier like it's Westworld-meets-GTA. I find it quite fun. My main complaint is that some of the missions drag too long, and although the cutscenes are great, I'm trying to play a game not watch a movie.
    Most of this is pretty encouraging. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Star

It’s a well thought out game with great writing and voice acting, and it is gorgeous. I do see PD’s criticisms though. For me, it is incredibly slow moving. Also, the lack of a good fast travel system means it takes forever to get from point to point. I stopped playing a while ago because I got bored. I will surely continue it at some time, but not for now...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post

If I'm not doing missions, I am pillaging the frontier like it's Westworld-meets-GTA. I find it quite fun. If you're playing the game to be an "Honorable" Arthur Morgan, I suggest you stop doing so and let your dark side out. Half the time I'm hunting down the bounty hunters that are hunting me.

My main complaint is that some of the missions drag too long, and although the cutscenes are great, I'm trying to play a game not watch a movie. And traveling around can get annoying.
    OK well that's encouraging, I'll try to focus on the story more if I do pick it up (I probably will, I hate not finishing games).

The game is absolutely gorgeous, no question. I do enjoy just stopping and looking around sometimes.

I'd like to start robbing homesteads, etc a bit - if you wear your mask it's supposed to prevent bounties (though not completely). I like taking the stealth approach too, so that can cut down on the heat. My honour is right in the middle basically.

One thing - you can unlock fast travel if you donate a couple of times to camp upgrades, although it's very limited - you can travel out, but not back to camp.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It’s a well thought out game with great writing and voice acting, and it is gorgeous. I do see PD’s criticisms though. For me, it is incredibly slow moving. Also, the lack of a good fast travel system means it takes forever to get from point to point. I stopped playing a while ago because I got bored. I will surely continue it at some time, but not for now...

Rylant
    Is it weird I love the slow pace of it. It made every mission and action feel more meaningful.

Dobber Sports Star

So… I started playing it again maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago and I just finished it last night. Such a slow burn but at the end of the day, it might go down as the greatest open world game of all time for me. After I got past that it is slow moving and once I truly started to understand most of the game mechanics, everything was different. The voice acting, visuals and story are crazy good. The amount of game material is mind boggling. I can’t believe I almost walked away without giving it the chance it deserved. Absolutely brilliant. 10 out of 10 for me.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    So… I started playing it again maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago and I just finished it last night. Such a slow burn but at the end of the day, it might go down as the greatest open world game of all time for me. After I got past that it is slow moving and once I truly started to understand most of the game mechanics, everything was different. The voice acting, visuals and story are crazy good. The amount of game material is mind boggling. I can’t believe I almost walked away without giving it the chance it deserved. Absolutely brilliant. 10 out of 10 for me.

Rylant
    Wow finally! Such a great game. I have been considering revisiting it.

Dobber Sports Genius

Loved that game! Took my time with it and I agree, probably the best open world game I've played and I loved Skyrim.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Loved that game! Took my time with it and I agree, probably the best open world game I've played and I loved Skyrim.
    Skyrim still has my heart in terms of best ever. I kind of separate Rockstar games from others because they are such a specific feel and style.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Skyrim still has my heart in terms of best ever. I kind of separate Rockstar games from others because they are such a specific feel and style.
    I ate, drank and slept Skyrim for a year then replayed it again. It’s an all timer for me but RDR2 is an all round fantastic game. Close 3rd is the Witcher. Can’t wait for the next in the Bethesda series, only thing is wife will divorce my ass.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    I ate, drank and slept Skyrim for a year then replayed it again. It’s an all timer for me but RDR2 is an all round fantastic game. Close 3rd is the Witcher. Can’t wait for the next in the Bethesda series, only thing is wife will divorce my ass.
    I just started replaying Skyrim again. I never actually finished it even though I played it on both PS3 and PS4. It's still such a great game.

I may have to try RDR2 after that based on this thread.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I just had my first PC built, I have also worked for video game companies as a modeller and I am usually a Mac guy, and got my first ever PC custom build, so went 5950x AMD Ryzen with 16 cores, and 32 threads. I have 32 GB of RAM, and a 3080 graphics card with a 27" true colour 4K monitor for professional use. First game I bought for my baby? Red Dead Redemption 2!
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.