Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

I...am your father.

Default Re: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Would you do this trade?

Malkin for Brassard and Okposo. Would probaly have to drop Maroon to make room.

12 teams with 20 player rosters/ Dynasty keeper

H2H Multi cat league-G,A, +/-,PIM, SOG, PPP, Hit, Block, FOW.

I hate to move Malkin, but he is injured alot ( especially fantasy playoff time).

Or should I try for more, because of his name value?

Thanks in advance
    I would keep Malkin and Maroon. Maroon is actualy looking pretty good right now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noriculous View Post
    PTS only. 10 teams - 400 players. dynasty

Are Tolchinsky or Kylington worth a pickup and stash them/him on the farm?

Thanks
    My league has 500 players, and those two aren't owned (Tolchinsky was actually just dropped), so I'd say no. But they are good enough that it wouldn't be terrible if you had them. There are just better options
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Team in sig.

I have pick 2 and 3. 2 time Returning champ. Not to often that happens eh... and in such a great draft year.

I have to take Laine and Pulj or Marner no? In a 12 team keep 14

And if so...Pulj or Marner if both make their respective teams this year?
    Oh man, this is a tough one. I don't even know what I would do given this choice! Wow...and you just know whichever way you go will be wrong. That being said, "wrong" is probably still going to be great, so look at it that way!

Whenever I'm in an impossible choice situation like this, I shop around and see if a trade will help. I'd even consider trading the No.2 pick for the No.4 pick if it means getting a ton extra, and then take both.

Push comes to shove, gun to my head, I'd probably take Marner

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I can improve my position in the 1st round to lock in on either D. Strome or Puljujarvi but it will cost me Fabbri to do it.
    Worth the move?

Thank you
    No sir!

Dobber Sports Rookie

It is a 10 team league, each team keeps 7 players for their first 7 picks. It is a points scoring system with 3 points for a goal, 2 for an assist, .5 for +/-, 1 bonus point for a PPG, .5 for PPA, 2 points for SHG, 1 for a Hat Trick, .2 for each pim, 4 for a goalie win, .1 per save, -.2 goal against, -1 per loss.

My sure thing keepers are:
    Benn, Gaudreau, Giroux, MacKinnon, Gibson, Eichel

Pick 1 of these players to keep:
    Ryan Johanssen, Couture, Huberdeau, Parise

I am leaning towards Johanssen

Part 2 of my dilemma:

So you figure the top 70 players are off the board including probably the top 15 - 18 goalies....

This year I am lucky enough to have the first overall draft pick, should I use it on whichever guy I end up not keeping (Couture, Johansen etc)? Or I could be presented with another player like a Sharp or Okposo (solid 60 point guy)? Or, obviously, I could draft one of the top rookies, Auston Matthews or Laine?

Leaning towards drafting one of the rookies, but who to choose, Matthews or Laine?

Thanks insight is much appreciated!

Dobber Sports Pro

Re: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967
    I'm picking 10th in my upcoming draft in a 14 team league i'm in (see signature).

I just wanted to add that the only D keepers that aren't available to draft are Ghost, Burns, Karlsson and Subban. Goalie wise, Gibson and Murray aren't available to draft. Forward wise, the following aren't available to draft: Eichel, Pacioretti, Schwartz, Parise, Draisaitl, Getzlaf, Seguin, Tarasenko, Duchene, Ehlers, O'Reilly, P Kane, Kucherov, Voracek, Giroux, Stone, H Sedin, D Strome, Tavares, Galy, Kessel, Toffoli, S Reinhart, Bennett, Toews, Steen, Ovie, Crosby, Marchand, Panarin, Malkin, Backstrom, Bergeron, Johansen, Perry, Fabbri, Thornton, Drouin, D Sedin, Duclair, Johnson, Monahan, Scheifele, Landy, Forsberg, Marner, Couture, Gaudreau, Pavelski, Benn, W Nylander, Kopitar, McDavid, Wheeler, Eberle, Barkov, Nuge, Stamkos, Larkin, and then of course my guys: MacK, Hall, Kuz, Domi, Huberdeau.

The top 2 are obvious 1-2 picks, and 3-10 are my best guess of who I could see going (not in any particular order).

Matthews
    Laine
    Pulujarvi
    OEL
    Neal
    Saad
    Schenn
    Hoffman
    Spezza
    Holtby

I essentially need to pick 1 RW, 2 D, 1 G and then either a C or LW, that will make up my starting lineup when adding it to the 5 guys I already have. Domi (C, LW), Kuz (C, LW), Hall (C, LW) and Mac (C, RW) all have dual eligibility still, since we are able to carry last years positions over. I pick at 10, then not again until 37 (late 3rd round). After this, I pick 53rd, 55th, 60th, 75th, 88th, 94th and 103rd.

Is there anyone in the above list of the potential Top 10 that you would remove? If so, who would you replace them with?

Remove Spezza. Remove Saad. Holtby should be FIRST on your list. Add Klingberg. Add Josi. Add Radulov

Also, who would you target at #10? I was thinking Neal or Saad, unless by chance Holtby, Letang/OEL, or Pulujarvi are available. If all of the guys listed are gone, I was thinking re-draft Spezza, or maybe grab Hoffman or Schenn and just grab a rw in the middle rounds to fill in behind Mac.

well, you target the best guy available on your list. You have 11 good ones. I'd aim for Holtby first, then defensemen.

I just don't like the gap I have between 10 and 37, but it's not the end of the world I guess. I was offered a couple of trade scenarios: one was moving up to Pick 31, and moving out pick 37, but in order to do so, I would have to move a 4th in 2018, and would get a 6th back. We will be switching from snake to straight draft as of 2017, and the guy i'm talking with won last year, and always tends to do well. I finished 7th last year, but i'm on the upswing.

A 2nd trade scenario involves me moving my 10th pick for the 24th pick, and then I would move a 7th rounder (88th overall) and get a 4th rounder (47th overall) back.

Would you consider either of those 2 pick type deals, or just roll with what I have and make the best of it? I think i'm set up pretty nicely in the 4th round and beyond.

No, just wait for your picks

Okay, so the above is from Page 2 of this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just going over different scenarios in my mind for tomorrow's draft, and this post is specific to Pick #10.

Is there a goalie aside from Holtby that you would grab if Holtby is gone already (i.e.: Price, Jones, Quick, Bishop, etc.), or would you go right to d still and grab the best available guy? I had OEL on my original list, and you mentioned to add Klingberg and Josi. Would you say Letang/Big Buff, or any other d are worthy of being there as well?

Just a confirmation question, but aside from the Top 3 on my list, are there no forwards you would take before Holtby, or in a scenario where Holtby is gone already?

The first 2 questions tie in to my summary type question at the bottom (just an FYI), so if it's easier to just answer that, I'm fine with that.

My biggest pressing need aside from goaltending/d is a 2nd rw to go alongside MacK. I'm deep with 3 guys who are c/lw, and 1 who is straight lw, so I can draft either a c or lw or c/lw with my other forward pick, and I have flexibility in terms of where I want to play them (c, lw or skater). If it so happens that the best available forward is not a rw and that's my first forward pick, I'll still grab the non-rw and just try to fill the rw slot later, unless the guys I’m choosing between are so close that it makes more sense to fill rw first. I hope my explanation makes sense, haha. Even MacKinnon can play c/rw, but since he's my only rw guy I'll leave him in that slot.

We are able to keep player positions from last year if we want, but if any position eligibilities change in season, we have to stick with the ones we chose. It's still more beneficial to roll with last years’ positions vs going with the default positions, since a lot of guys lost dual eligibility.

I guess in summary, who would be your wish list for Pick #10, like maybe a group of 5-6 guys ranked in order (1 being first option), and any position - get any of these guys and you should be thrilled type deal? I assume you may still have Holtby as option 1, but who would come after him? You'll probably want to exclude the Top 3 from the original list because they are pretty much locks to be gone before I pick. I mean there is a slight, and I mean slight chance that Pulujarvi falls, in which case I guess he may rank pretty high for you in terms of options, but my big question would be: do I think I can hit the money this year? If yes: probably better to go with a safe short-term pick, if no: grab the guy with the long-term upside. I do have the 2nd youngest team in the league. I'm also not loaded with early picks, so if I do think I can compete this year, probably can't take as much short-term risk. I think Rd 7 (where I have 2 picks) would be an ideal place to grab a rookie because there will be lots of high upside guys to still choose from that cost less. Maybe you can just chime in on what your thoughts on regarding my rookie comments?
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hi Dobber.
    I'm in a huge keeper league. Need to trade a guy to make room.
    Would you trade Ryan Murphy or is he still going to start contributing? thanks.