Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

I...am your father.

Default Re: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Need help evaluating Eichel in a keeper, points only (see sig).

Could flip Burns for Eichel and a 1st (7OA).
    The pick would give me options for this year, but at the end of season, it'll be Eichel vs Burns that matters.
    So, what's your take on the development of Eichel?
    What I can hope for him this year? In 3 year? At the peak of is carrer?
    Keeper for keeper, do you prefer Burns or Eichel?

Thanks a lot.
    Ha! Well, all this is in my Fantasy Guide, but I'll share:
    72 points this year
    Three-year peak likelihood 80 points
    Upside 110 points, one of the highest in the league

Yes, I'd do that deal, and wouldn't it be nice to get Sergachev with that pick?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadosaur View Post
    What's the deal with Buffalo's LW? Does Kane or Ennis get the top gig, and do either have a realistic shot at 60 pts?
    I have Ennis there and a real nice sleeper pick. Long shot, but possible, to reach 60 (I put it at 20% chance in the Guide)

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    Hi Dobber,

League in my signature. I've got a young team that I feel will be a contender in 2-3 seasons. The biggest question mark right now is my defense. Of the guys I have (farm and active), which ones do you see turning into good fantasy assets (35+ points, good peripherals) and which ones are likely to disappoint? In other words, should I be trying to trade for young Dmen (at the expense of forward/goalie depth) or should I wait on the guys I have to blossom?

Thanks!
    I think de Haan's injury issues will lead to disappointment. Move him.

Larsen will probably fail too, but I think in your deep league he's a great risk. Expect failure, but success would make you look genius and if he fails you can just drop him last year. He's not a guy you have to wait on for five years to discover he sucks, you'll probably find out before December.

Auvitu - I'm not seeing it. Depth player (5 or 6)

Maatta - good upside, but so injury prone that I wonder what you could get for him.

Schultz is 50/50 to me, this year will tell us

Hulstrom the odds are against him, but he's intriguing. Like Larsen, we'll know soon enough

Koekkoek is probably going to be less than 35 points when he peaks

The rest of your D look great

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by pahlsson26 View Post
    Hi Dobber,

1) Who is more likely to be Hall's centerman in New Jersey? What can we expect out of Zajac this year, point-wise? Is he worth keeping as #5 centerman if he's sitting on my bench most of the nights? Or is he possibly a better own than Plekanec or Pageau?
    2) Do you see any little known defenseman out there, that may get a real shot and have a year like Parayko did last season and then build on it in the coming years? Or any guys in the mould of Girardi, Martinez and Gorges (2+ blocked shots and hits per game), that could score about 30 points? Martinez is actually a perfect example of a guy like that.

1. That's a good question. My gut tells me it will be Henrique. But what if Zajac has a chemistry with him the way he did with Parise? Probably not. Too old now, best days are behind him. But what I suspect is that in the second half it will/should be Zacha - the only player who can keep up with him.
    2) Stephen Johns in the tough mold. I don't see another Parayko on the way. Just the obvious ones (like Matheson) or the long/doubtful shots (like Larsen)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Always one to take advantage of these opportunities -

14 team league, $102,000 salary cap using NHL cap hits for a 25 man roster (but also a farm of 35 for anyone not making $2.5 million or waived and not claimed) Cats are G, A, hits, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SHP, BS, SOG, FW and W, GAA, Saves, S% and SO

Anyone over $2.5 million can be waived so have already had to waive Cizikas and Stastny but I am sitting at a shade over the cap with Gadreau to re up - question is who do I try and move/waive?
    Waive Kesler and his albatross of a contract. All your problems are solved just for losing a 50-point guy who you could just replace with Wennberg. Yes you lose FOW but you really do solve a lot of problems here. I doubt anyone will take that contract from you so just waive him

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Team in sig. I have the #2 pick so going Laine there. Who should I aim for at #11 overall given that goalies are thin and Lundqvist/MAF combo is not as dominant as it used to be.

Carter
    Ladd
    Eriksson
    Steen
    Kunitz (260 hits)
    Fabbri
    Vesey
    Luongo (aim for Reimer later)
    Mason
    Neuvirth
    Greiss
    Miller
    Lack/Ward
    Pavelec
    Helly
    You'll get one more year out of that combo, easily. So start looking to your future. Hellebuyck is a year away, so drafting him there will be perfect. Won't help you this year though. Fabbri if you want immediate help

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am curious on your take on three players.

Bjorkstrand in CBJ, Connor in Winnipeg and Aho in Carolina.

Long term, how would you rank these three in a points only, keeper format?
    Long-term: Connor, Bjorkstrand, Aho

But Connor I think will be the only one of the three not in the NHL this year. He deserves to be, but I suspect that he won't. He has to steal a job

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by jessenguyen41 View Post
    Ina cap league, which team boasts the best goalie combo? keeping in mind their bang for buck? My gut response is jones but then realized he doesnt have a backup yet.

my strategy in my draft will be to get jones and then is backup. but if hes taken too early, would go allen and hutton from stl. only downside is that allen's contract goes up after this year

(ignore the team in my sig, thats alst eyars team. drafting this weekend. stats still apply though)
    Holtby/Grubauer is the best combo. Then Price/Montoya and Fleury/Murray. I'd say Jones too, but yeah no backup yet

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Waive Kesler and his albatross of a contract. All your problems are solved just for losing a 50-point guy who you could just replace with Wennberg. Yes you lose FOW but you really do solve a lot of problems here. I doubt anyone will take that contract from you so just waive him
    Ironically he is probably the only one I hadn't looked to move yet because of his multi cat contribution but you;re right! Thanks for the input
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I can improve my position in the 1st round to lock in on either D. Strome or Puljujarvi but it will cost me Fabbri to do it.
    Worth the move?

Thank you
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by angrymoose View Post
    I'm in a 12 team Yahoo keeper (G, A, PPP, +/-, SOG, hits, GAA, W, SV%). Teams are pretty deep with 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 G and 5 bench. We only keep 50% of our team.

I figure that unless your keepers are awful, anyone has a chance to win the championship. What type of draft strategy do you think is best to employ? Considering we essentially start in round 12 of a 12 team draft after keepers, should I be focusing on my high upside sleepers right away or should I go with some proven talent who weren't necessarily keeper worthy.

Typically in a league like this how many sleepers would you take for the bottom of your lineup as opposed to proven, middle of the road types who are above replacement level but won't be winning you any championships. really could use some strategy advice for the draft.
    I take the reliable guys early, but only if I'm happy with my group of keepers. My current keepers I assume I'll keep next year, so I'm drafting for this year only. At first. Later in the draft I take some high-upside guys in case one or two become my keeper, elbowing aside one of my current keepers. Priority is having two reliable goalies - keeper goalies.

Dobber Sports Titan

How valuable do you think a guy like ROR will be this yr in fantasy leagues with FW? Debating on reaching a fair bit on him with my 12th overall in my redraft league. I kept Backstrom, Stammer, Tarasenko, Karlsson, Josi, OEL so FW will be hard to come by with 2 centers kept and one getting ~400FW/yr.

Either that or I’m reaching on a goalie (Dubnyk, Andersen, Anderson), or suring up my D with Barrie, Giordano, or Shattenkirk.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Keeper league points only, do you agree with my ranking?

Lucic
    Trocheck
    Nyquist
    Granlund
    Kreider

Thanks!
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by teepee1 View Post
    Dobber I have first pick in an upcoming draft for a keep 12 league where we lose players after 3 years. I'm weak on RW and quite strong on C. Tavares and P Kane are available. Whilst I think I like Tavares more, are they that far apart? If they are close or a coin flip, I'll take Kane. How do you see Kane going over the next few years after the breakout.
    Multicat roto G A PPP Hits Shots Blocks +/-
    Kane is the way to go in this situation, no question. I like JT better too, but Kane is awesome and you need RW

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    I'm crazy high on Clayton Keller long term, and see him as a real candidate to light up the NCAA and be a one and done guy there. His vision, hands and skating are exactly where the NHL is heading (already arrived?)

Even with Bjorkstrand looking like a real threat to put up points immediately and potentially be in the Calder discussion, would you take Keller over him for the difference in their respective long term ceilings?
    No, I take Bjorkstrand. I don't like waiting on players, especially when the upsides are fairly close

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Team and scoring in signature.
    With our scoring Eberle or Voracek ?
    Should I consider moving Matthews to obtain Burns ?
    Pick up Pickard or Mason to shore up my goaltending ?

Thanks Dobber appreciate all the work you do on the site and guide
    Considering Voracek will win in points, PPPts, Hits and SOG...I'll probably go with him.
    If you can.
    Mason is a starter, so has to be him.

Thanks!