Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

Hi Dobber,

League in my signature. I've got a young team that I feel will be a contender in 2-3 seasons. The biggest question mark right now is my defense. Of the guys I have (farm and active), which ones do you see turning into good fantasy assets (35+ points, good peripherals) and which ones are likely to disappoint? In other words, should I be trying to trade for young Dmen (at the expense of forward/goalie depth) or should I wait on the guys I have to blossom?

Thanks!
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hi Dobber,

1) Who is more likely to be Hall's centerman in New Jersey? What can we expect out of Zajac this year, point-wise? Is he worth keeping as #5 centerman if he's sitting on my bench most of the nights? Or is he possibly a better own than Plekanec or Pageau?
    2) Do you see any little known defenseman out there, that may get a real shot and have a year like Parayko did last season and then build on it in the coming years? Or any guys in the mould of Girardi, Martinez and Gorges (2+ blocked shots and hits per game), that could score about 30 points? Martinez is actually a perfect example of a guy like that.

The Great One

Always one to take advantage of these opportunities -

14 team league, $102,000 salary cap using NHL cap hits for a 25 man roster (but also a farm of 35 for anyone not making $2.5 million or waived and not claimed) Cats are G, A, hits, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SHP, BS, SOG, FW and W, GAA, Saves, S% and SO

Anyone over $2.5 million can be waived so have already had to waive Cizikas and Stastny but I am sitting at a shade over the cap with Gadreau to re up - question is who do I try and move/waive?

C -- Anze Kopitar $10,000,000 2023
    C -- Ryan Kesler $6,875,000 2022
    C -- John Tavares $5,500,000 2018
    C -- Mark Schiefele $6,125,000 2024
    C -- Tyler Johnson $3,333,333 2017
    C -- Kyle Turris $3,500,000 2018
    C -- Teuvo Teravainen $894,166 2017

-- Total = $39,227,499

R -- TJ Oshie $4,175,000 2017
    R -- Mats Zuccarello $4,500,000 2019
    R -- Mark Stone $3,500,000 2018
    R -- Sam Bennett $925,000 2017
    R -- Cal Clutterbuck $2,750,000 2017
    L -- Gabriel Landeskog $5,571,429 2021
    L -- Johnny Gaudreau $925,000 2016
    L -- Anders Lee $3,750,000 2019
    L -- Ondrej Palat $3,333,333 2017

-- Total = $29,429,762

D -- Roman Josi $4,000,000 2020
    D -- Victor Hedman $4,000,000 2017
    D -- Sami Vatanen $4,875,000 2020
    D -- Shayne Gostisbehere $925,000 2017
    D -- Duncan Keith $5,538,461 2023
    D -- Connor Murphy $3,850,000 2022

-- Total = $23,188,461

G -- Ben Bishop $5,950,000 2017
    G -- Jake Allen $2,350,000 2017
    G -- Jaroslav Halak $4,500,000 2018

-- Total = $12,800,000

Have a pretty deep farm with the likes of Wennberg, Pastrank, Burakovsky, Parayoko, de Haan, Greiss and I guess I know Murphy is the easiest move but after that I am struggling s by my count I need to move at least 6 million more...

Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Team in sig. I have the #2 pick so going Laine there. Who should I aim for at #11 overall given that goalies are thin and Lundqvist/MAF combo is not as dominant as it used to be.

Carter
    Ladd
    Eriksson
    Steen
    Kunitz (260 hits)
    Fabbri
    Vesey
    Luongo (aim for Reimer later)
    Mason
    Neuvirth
    Greiss
    Miller
    Lack/Ward
    Pavelec
    Helly

Dobber Sports Deity

I am curious on your take on three players.

Bjorkstrand in CBJ, Connor in Winnipeg and Aho in Carolina.

Long term, how would you rank these three in a points only, keeper format?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ina cap league, which team boasts the best goalie combo? keeping in mind their bang for buck? My gut response is jones but then realized he doesnt have a backup yet.

my strategy in my draft will be to get jones and then is backup. but if hes taken too early, would go allen and hutton from stl. only downside is that allen's contract goes up after this year

(ignore the team in my sig, thats alst eyars team. drafting this weekend. stats still apply though)
    SBF Keeper League // 10 Teams // NHL Salary Cap //
    4C, 8W, 6D, 1G, 4B
    G=3pts, A=2pts, Shots=.2, PIMS=.2, Blocks=.2pts, Hits=.2pts, PPP=.5pts, SHP=1pt, GWG=.5pts,
    W=3pts, SO=4pts, GA=-.5, Saves=.1pt

St. Petterssons

C: Pettersson, Novak, Kurashev, Lapierre
    W: Kucherov, Draisaitl, Hyman, Connor, W Nylander, Bratt, Coleman, Pacioretty, Milano, A Nylander, M Jones
    D: Theodore, Seider, Harley, York, Kylington, Perunovich, Sandin
    G: Skinner

*Bold means I can't drop them (but I can trade them).

Dobber Sports Newbie

I'm in a 12 team Yahoo keeper (G, A, PPP, +/-, SOG, hits, GAA, W, SV%). Teams are pretty deep with 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 G and 5 bench. We only keep 50% of our team.

I figure that unless your keepers are awful, anyone has a chance to win the championship. What type of draft strategy do you think is best to employ? Considering we essentially start in round 12 of a 12 team draft after keepers, should I be focusing on my high upside sleepers right away or should I go with some proven talent who weren't necessarily keeper worthy.

Typically in a league like this how many sleepers would you take for the bottom of your lineup as opposed to proven, middle of the road types who are above replacement level but won't be winning you any championships. really could use some strategy advice for the draft.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dobber I have first pick in an upcoming draft for a keep 12 league where we lose players after 3 years. I'm weak on RW and quite strong on C. Tavares and P Kane are available. Whilst I think I like Tavares more, are they that far apart? If they are close or a coin flip, I'll take Kane. How do you see Kane going over the next few years after the breakout.
    Multicat roto G A PPP Hits Shots Blocks +/-

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm crazy high on Clayton Keller long term, and see him as a real candidate to light up the NCAA and be a one and done guy there. His vision, hands and skating are exactly where the NHL is heading (already arrived?)

Even with Bjorkstrand looking like a real threat to put up points immediately and potentially be in the Calder discussion, would you take Keller over him for the difference in their respective long term ceilings?
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Team and scoring in signature.
    With our scoring Eberle or Voracek ?
    Should I consider moving Matthews to obtain Burns ?
    Pick up Pickard or Mason to shore up my goaltending ?

Thanks Dobber appreciate all the work you do on the site and guide
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Initiate

Would you do this trade?

Malkin for Brassard and Okposo. Would probaly have to drop Maroon to make room.

12 teams with 20 player rosters/ Dynasty keeper

H2H Multi cat league-G,A, +/-,PIM, SOG, PPP, Hit, Block, FOW.

I hate to move Malkin, but he is injured alot ( especially fantasy playoff time).

Or should I try for more, because of his name value?

Thanks in advance
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

PTS only. 10 teams - 400 players. dynasty

Are Tolchinsky or Kylington worth a pickup and stash them/him on the farm?

Thanks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Team in sig.

I have pick 2 and 3. 2 time Returning champ. Not to often that happens eh... and in such a great draft year.

I have to take Laine and Pulj or Marner no? In a 12 team keep 14

And if so...Pulj or Marner if both make their respective teams this year?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    Would you keep him over Ceci and/or Johns this year? I still have to cut two players off my roster, and I'm thinking it'll be Marchessault and one of Ceci/Johns/Wisniewski.
    I don't think it's worth the risk to drop possible 200-hits Johns or the blossoming Ceci

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hi y'all from former home of the Thrashers!

Draft this weekend.
    Wins-GAA-SV%
    No minimum games required and I have Price.
    I'm in a rebuild/reload kind of place.
    Mrazek, Talbot, or Hellebuyck?

Part II
    pts-g-a-hits-blks-+/-
    last keeper...Fabbri or RNH?

Thanks
    Talbot and Fabbri, if it's me making the call
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by pier_hockey View Post
    Hey Dobber!

Will Barzal make the team this year? And if so, what kind of an impact?
    I don't believe he will, though he might get to play a handful of games before being sent back down. If he makes the team (again - I doubt it, I really really do), then it will because he is playing lights-out hockey and so his impact will be felt for sure (45+ points). I just really don't see it
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi